“Superb room, expensive food and drink”

Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed here recently on a business trip. The hotel is absolutely massive, not just the rooms, but the bar, restaurant, everything. The room was very large, looked a bit tired, like it needed sprucing up, but the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a generous size too, with the most amazingly powerful shower. The keycard only worked some of the time, and the panel of the doorlatch on the inside of the room was hanging off. Also, on the downside, I had to wait ages to be served in the bar, even though I could see several staff members down at the restaurant end. When you have the staff's attention, they are courteous and friendly. Had dinner in the hotel restaurant. I chose the seabass fillets which was tasty, but full of bones. Similarly in the morning, I was served a full 'Ulster' breakfast, and I chose to have it with poached eggs. However, everything tasted a bit stodgy, and the eggs were overcooked. The only reason I would not stay here again is Newry itself, which seemed a bit cold, harsh and unwelcoming, but that's not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I had occasion to attend a function in the Canal Court Hotel in the last few days. I will start with the positives, the hotel is very centrally located when visiting Newry and Northern Ireland and is on the main Dublin /Belfast. route. The food was excellent and the dining room staff were most polite efficient and helpful. The bedroom was spotless, the bed was comfortable and a choice of pillows was an excellent consideration. When booking directly with the hotel I requested a single non- smoking room. I was told that the only one available was a smoking room, I hesitated, but the person at the other end said that of course the room would be thoroughly cleaned which was the case. On arrival and entering the room I got this overpowering smell of air freshener which I hate with a passion and more particularly in the area where I am sleeping. During the night I had to get up, locate the air freshener high on a wall remove it and open the windows. I covered the freshener with a towel and placed it in the bathroom, but the smell persisted. Nobody asked me when checking out if I had a comfortable stay or I would have related my experience to them, I wondered who with Hotel Management qualifications or Good Housekeeping training would approve of this approach to ensuring a fresh bedroom. I propose that smokers should be charged a supplement similar to the single supplement. I had a most uncomfortable night despite all the other extras in the room such as sparkling and spring water and loads of lovely fresh towels. I have had this experience of an air freshener in another hotel on a previous occasion -- not in Northern Ireland -- I feel it is a practise that should be strictly forbidden. I felt I was sleeping in a toilet. Northern Ireland is beautiful and I would not like anyone to be put off visiting there or the Canal Court because I am confident that they will address this and will not let it happen again.

Room Tip: The room was noise free and spacious for a single room and was to the back of the Hotel. No view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had our wedding at the Canal Court on the 24th November 2012, what can I say....Excellent, fantastic. The Hotel and their staff looked after us and all our guests which such professionalism, dedication and willing attitude to help. Canal Court staff done everything possible to ensure our big day was a big day to remember, A big Thank you to Deborah and her team. All our guests have commented on what a great venue and the attitude of the staff, they couldn't do enough to help every ones stay a memorable occasion. The food was excellent, the service was second to none, the rooms was fabulous...Thank you from the Groom and his beautiful Bride.

I didn't use the Spa

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter S
DeborahNewry, General Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Peter
Many thanks for your lovely review & kind comments. It was a pleasure to be a part of your Special Day and I hope that Seána and you had a lovely honeymoon. A Wedding Day is the one of the most important days of your life and it is an honour and priviledge to help make it a memorable and wonderful occasion. Myself & the entire team look forward to welcoming you back to the Canal Court Hotel in the future & If I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime,
Kind Regards
dferguson@canalcourthotel.com

Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I visit this hotel on a regular basis - it has a ambiance that few hotels have. Open fires, great leather seats in the foyer, friendly yet unobtrusive staff and a terrific carvery. If I lived in Newry I would visit it every day - more like home from home. When I read the poor reviews I am perplexed - still there are some strange people about.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. It is our aim to try and recreate a "home away from home", a place to relax & enjoy your time. I am glad we were able to provide you with a relaxing stay and we look forward to your return.
Kind Regards & Many Thanks
dferguson@canalcourthotel.com

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My mother had a special birthday and we decided to book the Canal Court Hotel in Newry. So myself, mum and two sisters headed off on a Friday afternoon to Newry. when we arrived at the hotel, we were allowed to check in early. The girls at reception were brilliant nothing was a problem, they were very smartly dressed . We asked for two rooms together, which we got and the doors had birthday banners on them..The bedrooms were beautiful, tea/coffee etc. The only thing I could fault was the heating you had to set it yourself (not very good at things like that ). We had our evening meal in the dining room again the staff were great, the next morning breakfast was the same brilliant. There was entertainment on in the hotel both nights but it never affected us in any way. My sister came from England and is going back with her husband in the near future. A great hotel to stay in , everything you need is within walking distance, you don't need to use your car at all.

Room Tip: Every room looked the same GREAT
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Had to stay here for two nights on business. Hotel is in the centre of Newry and is visible for miles around due to its massive stature. Internally the hotel is huge with stairs and rooms in all directions. Greeting was warm, attentive and efficient. Room was usual hotel fare - clean, functional and up to date. Bar was busy with a mixture of locals and guests. They had a £2.50 per pint promotion on whilst football was on TV which seemed to make it popular. Used the restaurant on the first night - service was very good and food was excellent.

Breakfast was a nice relaxed affair with plenty of choice of both hot and cold food.

Overall - a really nice stay whilst on business.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The impressive traditional outlook and decor of the building defy the modern approach found in this hotel.I had a nicely cleaned room, en-suite facilities, kettle, TV, wi-fi etc, but the service (although friendly) could be a little too relaxed at times. I found myself waiting a long time to get served the overpriced food in the upstairs restaurant, and I was surprised and disappointed that they could offer nothing for breakfast when I mentioned I had to leave before 7 am to catch my flight. My company had actually prepaid for the overpriced breakfast and I had to leave without...anything! .
Its also a bit of a shame that the location happens to overlook the main bus station. Not the most enviable view from a hotel window. That's just how it is...I don't think I'd rush back.

Room Tip: The rooms are fine with modern amenities and reasonably quiet too. Just get in early to guarantee a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lokie2112
DeborahNewry, General Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay and I am sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay & the service which caused dissappointment. I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me on dferguson@canalcourthotel.com so that I may fully investigate the points mentioned.
All our bedrooms rates include a Full Irish & Continental Breakfast and I am concerned that you feel your company paid for an "overpriced Breakfast" I would be happy to check your account & can assure you that no additional charge for Breakfast is ever added. With regard to an early Breakfast we do offer the full continental breakfast if guests are departing during the night & this would include Tea, Coffee, Toast, Breads or Pastries, Fresh Fruit, Yoghurt, Cereals, Ham/ Cheeses etc. The full Breakfast Menu including large & small traditional breakfasts, Omeletes, Fish Options etc are all available from 6.45am however as our Chefs would be here from 6am they would be more than happy to prepare a Cooked Breakfast at anytime from 6am.
With regard to the view from your room I am sorry that again this caused dissappointment & our front facing rooms which overlook the Canal (as well as the bus station beyond the Canal) are normally selected by guests who like the view of the City, Canal & Cathedral which these rooms offer.
I do hope you do have the opportunity to return & I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me to resolve the issue relating to your Breakfast & Invoice. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future,
Kind Regards
Miss Deborah Ferguson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Mourne Country Hotel
Ballymascanlon House Hotel
Armagh City Hotel
Armagh City Hotel
#1 of 2 in Armagh

Been to Canal Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!