“Suprisingly good hotel”

Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Had to stay here for two nights on business. Hotel is in the centre of Newry and is visible for miles around due to its massive stature. Internally the hotel is huge with stairs and rooms in all directions. Greeting was warm, attentive and efficient. Room was usual hotel fare - clean, functional and up to date. Bar was busy with a mixture of locals and guests. They had a £2.50 per pint promotion on whilst football was on TV which seemed to make it popular. Used the restaurant on the first night - service was very good and food was excellent.

Breakfast was a nice relaxed affair with plenty of choice of both hot and cold food.

Overall - a really nice stay whilst on business.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The impressive traditional outlook and decor of the building defy the modern approach found in this hotel.I had a nicely cleaned room, en-suite facilities, kettle, TV, wi-fi etc, but the service (although friendly) could be a little too relaxed at times. I found myself waiting a long time to get served the overpriced food in the upstairs restaurant, and I was surprised and disappointed that they could offer nothing for breakfast when I mentioned I had to leave before 7 am to catch my flight. My company had actually prepaid for the overpriced breakfast and I had to leave without...anything! .
Its also a bit of a shame that the location happens to overlook the main bus station. Not the most enviable view from a hotel window. That's just how it is...I don't think I'd rush back.

Room Tip: The rooms are fine with modern amenities and reasonably quiet too. Just get in early to guarantee a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lokie2112
DeborahNewry, General Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay and I am sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay & the service which caused dissappointment. I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me on dferguson@canalcourthotel.com so that I may fully investigate the points mentioned.
All our bedrooms rates include a Full Irish & Continental Breakfast and I am concerned that you feel your company paid for an "overpriced Breakfast" I would be happy to check your account & can assure you that no additional charge for Breakfast is ever added. With regard to an early Breakfast we do offer the full continental breakfast if guests are departing during the night & this would include Tea, Coffee, Toast, Breads or Pastries, Fresh Fruit, Yoghurt, Cereals, Ham/ Cheeses etc. The full Breakfast Menu including large & small traditional breakfasts, Omeletes, Fish Options etc are all available from 6.45am however as our Chefs would be here from 6am they would be more than happy to prepare a Cooked Breakfast at anytime from 6am.
With regard to the view from your room I am sorry that again this caused dissappointment & our front facing rooms which overlook the Canal (as well as the bus station beyond the Canal) are normally selected by guests who like the view of the City, Canal & Cathedral which these rooms offer.
I do hope you do have the opportunity to return & I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me to resolve the issue relating to your Breakfast & Invoice. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future,
Kind Regards
Miss Deborah Ferguson

Reviewed April 15, 2013

In November 2012 we held our wedding reception in the Canal Court. We had visited on several occasions for weekend breaks and knew instantly that this was the place for us.

I work with venues on a daily basis, never have I had such wonderful treatment from staff and the Manager, Janet O'Hare. They went well above and beyond in every aspect of our wedding planning and our wedding day, nothing was too much trouble and from decoration to food, everything was perfect.

I was expecting some guests to have to have some complaints as that is what family wedding guests do, but instead, they are still raving about our big day especially the meal and service of the staff, their rooms and the breakfast the next morning. They even accomodated those little too drunk of our guests that refused to go to bed by bringing out the leftover buffet food from our wedding and letting them finish that off.

We stayed for a second night in the bridal suite, which was offered to us as part of our wedding package at half price for a second night. We were still treated as the bride and groom even in extending our stay receiving room service meals that surpassed meals we often have in other hotel restaurants. The bridal suite itself was amazing with a separate living room with fireplace and dining area, a separate bedroom with four poster bed and a bathroom with jacuzzi.

Canal Court is a hotel that reminds you want real service used to be like and real luxury, the rooms are gorgeous and immaculate.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank G P
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just back from our third one night package stay at this hotel. As always a relaxed, friendly and efficient welcome and check in and without exception all staff excellent. Rooms clean and comfortable - had an Ambassador suite this time. Worth the extra money! Dinner included in the Old Mil Restaurant. Excellent service and great food. Thoroughly recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pmel21
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Attended a wedding of a friend here recently and had a great day out and overnight stay.

The hotel is modern, well-run with loads of friendly, efficient staff. The wedding banquet was top class and there were also plenty of local people in enjoying the food and the craic. My room was big, well-equipped and spotlessly clean. Would recommend highly for a wedding etc. Only down side was the fact that the car park is a bit small and some friends had to search for a space in a very busy town centre. So I suppose it's best to check in early!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed overnight at a wedding function - cannot rate the hotel,staff and food highly enough - so friendly and helpful. Even though over 200 plus guests the meal went off so smoothly and the quality was first class and no mad queues at the bar etc - we stayed in a suite and were really pleased with the small touches.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I love the Canal Court. Fantastic food, amazing staff. Deborah the manager is excellent. The rooms are lovely with big comfortable bed. The only negative thing about my experience was Catherine the spa manager really incompetent and lacks customer service skills. The other spa staff are lovely shame about the manager. This hotel is so reasonable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Seana R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Mourne Country Hotel
#1 of 3 in Warrenpoint
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
10 mi away
Ballymascanlon House Hotel

Been to Canal Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!