“Great Value”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Navan
“Great Value”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed Sat night last as part of Hen Party, 18#. Had no problems with hotel whatsoever, always were accommodating from my initial enquiry with booking of rooms, with all the changes, our nos and room types etc. Very busy weekend but we were looked after no problems.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
DeborahNewry, General Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review & I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay. We do try to cater for all guests needs and have developed a number of packages to suit those wishing to enjoy a funfilled Hen Weekend. Our new Spa & Roof Top Hot Tub provides the opportunity for a relaxing girly break and our other packages including Cocktail Training or Dancing lessons etc offer a more fun filled & activity based experience. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy our new Spa & also our Cocktail Bar, as well as the Live Bands in our Millers Suite.
I do hope that you have the chance to return in the future & If I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime on dferguson@canalcourthotel.com.
Kind Regards
Miss Deborah Ferguson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Hotel itself nice , rude refuse to actually listen .... Went for a 1 night stay to celebrate my tenth wedding anniversary , at 150 a night 1 night was enough , my mother highly recommended this hotel, on looks itself ( great ) we both used spa and it was outstanding , then the meal yuck , both got the same starter and my wife found long hair when nearly finished , disgusting , got a sorry and a free drink which we both said we didn't want ( but was told by staff it's free get it in ya ) my wife's dinner ( microwave dinner ) was cold , my steak was meant to be well done but was rare , plate filled up with blood , didn't eat that or the raw chips , wife wouldn't let me complain , dessert was lovely , then comes half 2 in the morning when the projectile vomiting started and hi hoes , rand reception at half 3 and asked for juice and told them and RUDE woman came up , wanted me to go see out of hours doc , I said ok then she wanted me to go to the hospital , with nothin left in me to be sick I thought 150 pounds for a night in hospital , no , so then I was made to feel like I was putting it on , DON'T THINK SO ........ AND QUITE FRANKLY AFTER A HOUR OF BEIND DOUBLED IN 2 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT NOT GOING to ARGUE OVER HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR FOOD POISON TO KICK IN BUT FOR FUTURE OF THIS HOTEL FOOD POSION CAN KICK IN THE SECOND FOOD IS DIGESTED NOT 48 HRS LATER LIKE I WAS TOLD TIME AND TIME AGAIN BY THE WOMAN THAT HAD JUST DONE FOOD HIGENE COURSE , ( obviously DIDNT LISTEN TO MUCH ) Was too scared to eat breakfast but the wife loved it .... My mother was ashamed to hear that my romantic night away was a disaster and phoned hotel
SHE WAS TOLD TO EXPECT A CALL FROM THE MANAGER WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HRS , FOUR DAYS LATER AND NOTHIN,
BUT DIDN'T EXPECT TO HEAR FROM THEM
THE SAYIN ( GET THE MONEY AND GET THEM OUT SPRINGS TO MIND )
Been treated better in a hostel

• Stayed September 2012
9 Thank Aaronshaw100
DeborahNewry, General Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Mr Shaw
I am disappointed to read your review and I do feel that it is an unfair reflection of your stay at the Hotel. I am sorry that you feel the need to post such a review which clearly is aimed at insulting the Manager who dealt with you and the Meal which was prepared fresh for you. In respect of not having been responded to I can confirm that both the Duty Manager on Friday evening went directly to your room when she was advised you were feeling unwell. She offered to take you to hospital in case you had any other condition, as it was a very short time from your meal & having looked at the dishes you had selected & being aware of the very high standards of food hygiene followed within our kitchens it would have appeared that food poisioning may not have been the cause of your illness. She again spoke with your mother when she called suggesting you had not been looked after and explained as well as apologising. Also I myself wrote to you by letter & later received an email accusing the hotel of having "ignored" you to which I also responded immediately. We welcome all customer feedback & appreciate that negative feedback can help us to improve our standards & facilities to better meet our guest expectations however I do feel that your review is extremely unfair.
I can assure you that we have tried by all means possible to contact you & resolve any issues that you may have however you have not replied to my email or letter and chosen instead to write this derogatory review. Should you at some point decide to contact me you can contact me by email dferguson@canalcourthotel.com or telephone on 02830251234.
Kind Regards
Miss Deborah Ferguson
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I don't normally write reviews but i had to with this hotel. The over all experience was brilliant. We had had a meal and the food was excellent and the staff were so helpful. There was a wedding in the hotel but the staff treated everyone the same. we were on the third floor and heard nothing of the wedding :-) we really enjoyed our stay

• Stayed September 2012
Donegal
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on a 3 day Supervalue Break,very good quality hotel with lovely large rooms.Breakfasts are superb and good entertainment at the weekend.
Only downside I had was getting wrong change at bar ,gave twenty got change of a tenner when I asked was told I had been given the right change,luckily I hadn't a second fiver in my wallet so he gave me the difference but reluctantly,hopefully he was genuine and this was a real mistake on his part.Otherwise had a brilliant weekend and akl staff really friendly especially reception,will go back

Room Tip: Ask for the air-conditioned ones
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Moonknight
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here because of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and I wasn’t disappointed. The Hotel is very plush and the room is massive. All the staff are a total credit to the Hotel and everyone I met was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was also faultless so I think they have listened to other feedback that say it wasn’t very good. This is not a family hotel one more for Business or a romantic stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Canal Court is Newry's Premier Hotel- converted from warehouses. This is one of my husband's favourite eateries. The bar area is large with lots of nooks and crannies so you can have a large family gathering or an intimate meal. There are TVs sited in various areas so that the patrons don't miss the latest sports feature but you can sit where they don't intrude. It seems to be busy most of the time and is very popular with locals.

The food is good bar food- nothing very special and prices are average- if a little high for bar food. However we were waiting for friends and feeling very hungry, ordered the Nachos Chilli beef starter. When it arrived it was delicious, liberally coated with melted cheese and more that enough for 4!

For mains I had Hot Chicken and Bacon Salad- acceptable but afterwards I realised that I had not noticed the bacon? Maybe it was there but must have been minimal. My companions enjoyed the Steak baguette with fries- pricey at £12.50 but the fries were delicious and Fresh Salmon with Champ- delicious and a large portion.

There was a fair choice of desserts but my Meringue was not a patch on the one I had enjoyed at the Lord Edward in Dublin- it was OK.

On reading the menu I discovered that sandwiches , available through out the day, started £3.50-considering the venue this is excellent value. It would cost as much in a take a way.

The staff have been excellent at every visit we have made, helpful, knowledgeable re the menu, accomodating when a diner wanted something omitted or added to their order and indeed very helpful. Once, when eating with children they offered a smaller portion of the meal that the child wanted, offering to bring more if they required it.

My one real complaint was my drink- as designated driver I was drinking Lime and Soda and a SMALL drink ( filling a small wine glass) cost me £1.85. That is a rip off. I normally pay about £1 for a tumbler full!

Sort that out and I will be back, otherwise if my husband demands a meal there I will stick to tap water for free!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Scousemaid
newry
Reviewed September 7, 2012

the canal court hotel in newry is a really fab place to stay...now i have only stayed with my hubbie and never as a family...staff have always been helpful and pleasant.....food is lovely...bar is busy and lots to see...rooms are lovely and comfy...bathrooms are ok......overall a super stay and over to the mourne country hotel for a wee dance country and western style on a sat nite....u wont be disappointed with ur stay....enjoy and close to shops cinema restaurants etc...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Carrickdale Hotel
#5 of 8 in Dundalk
The Whistledown Hotel
The Whistledown Hotel
#1 of 3 in Warrenpoint

Been to Canal Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!