“Really lovely stay”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Midlands
“Really lovely stay”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed at the Canal Court for a long weekend, this was our second stay at this hotel. The hotel is lovely, it has a real charm about it, the staff are all friendly and can not do enough to help you in any way, the rooms are big and the beds are lovely and comfortable. The food is amazing, we had diner in the restaurant and it was one of the best meals I have had, so lovely and again the staff were amazing. The hotel is in the centre of the city so you can walk anywhere, great location, we had a great stay at this hotel and will be back again.

Room Tip: All rooms are good with super king beds.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Ardara, Ireland
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Stayed Sat 18th Feb warm welcome from friendly receptionist on arrival..room was large comfortable room-hotel so clean well-kept. used leisure cente in afternoon was fab.Had dinner on Sat night busy busy restaurant, service and food were first class. Breakfast Sun morn was delicous nice to get it served to you. Check-out speedy. Will def return some day soon

Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here, and both times cannot fault at all! the staff are very friendly, the rooms superb. clean and very comfortable! wish we could of stayed longer but alas work calls, however we shall be back again in the not too distant future. Many congratulations on the staff of canal court making this a very enjoyable stay. thank you for a fantastic stay. :) regards mrs d mitchell

Room Tip: would recommend any room as they are very comfortable indeed!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
amragh,N.ireland
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We got married in this hotel on 25th sept 2010 and the help we received leading up to the wedding was amazing.nothing was too much for the staff.we delivered our cake to the hotel the day before our wedding and by the time we arrived the cake had been damaged.we had left it too late to find a bakery to help us and spoke to the staff at the hotel.the manager spoke to the chef and he actually took the cake and reined it and made it perfect for us and at no extra cost.we doubt that anywhere else would provide this service.

On our wedding day the manager who looked after us was Patrick and again nothing was too much.he did everything we asked for and more.the service of all of the staff and the food was 5 star in our opinion and all of our guests felt the same way.the hotel is beautiful and the rooms are lovely also. We had nothing to worry about on our special day and we looked after so well. I would do it all again and know a few people who have booked their weddings at the canal court after experiencing our day here.

We have been for lunch quite often on Sunday's at the hotel and the food is gorgeous and very reasonable in price.
We have also stayed at the hotel since the wedding and received the same standard of service every time. Some of the staff even remembered us from our wedding and are very friendly and take time to talk to you.
We will be staying again this Saturday night and I have no doubt that the service we will receive will be amazing as always.

If anyone is thinking of booking to stay here or eat here I would not hesitate.i read the bad reviews and think they are talking about a different hotel and can guarantee that you would enjoy every second you spend at the canal court hotel and customer service is 100% from ll staff.

Ireland
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I have no experience staying overnight in the Canal Court I can just comment on a meal we received on Sunday 12th February 2012. I organised an evening meal for 50 members of the Ballymena Health Walking Group for 6.30 pm. I phoned the hotel at about 3.30 pm asking if it was possible to have the meal at 6 pm. They said they would do their best. When we arrived at 5.45 everything was perfect. The room was set up and lovely and comfortable and warm. The bar was open and anybody who wanted a drink got one. The food was served at 6 pm piping hot and good. The staff were excellent and professional and came round and offered more food. We had a colieac who was catered for and some people were given ice-cream which was not part of the menu at no extra cost.I could not find fault with any aspect of our meal and there was nothing but excellent comments from the group.Well done Canal Court and I would recommend your hotel to any large group.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
DeborahNewry, General Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2012
Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review & we were delighted to have your group with us last Sunday evening. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel and that you have had many favourable comments from your party. I do hope you have the opportunity to revisit in the future and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Every single one of the staff in the Canal Court Hotel really really need to go on a customer service course. The younger ones seem to have no customer service training at all and find it very hard to look you in the eye while they mumble one syllable answers to any questions. The older staff look down their noses at you and make you feel like they are doing you a favour instead of their job, get the customer in, get the customer out, really comes across in their attitude.
We had a meal...fillet steak was chewy and tough....I asked for Diane sauce.....was fobbed off with the "Gaelic" sauce.......asked for a mixed leaf salad....the chef obviously doesnt know what that means....was given a small dish of chopped up iceberg lettuce, carrot, onion and tomato absolutely drowned in honey and mustard dressing, which makes me gag, and OMG, about 10 frozen chips......what can I say....FROZEN chips in a 4 star hotel?????? My partners creamed potatoes were cold and my chips were tepid. And they get away with charging the totally exorbitant prices that they do. Restaurant manageress' attitude was terrible and we had to suffer a high pitched smurphette singing far far too close to us,

1 Thank Grace B
DeborahNewry, General Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review & I am extremely upset that you had such a poor experience.
I myself checked during your meal that you were enjoying your food and at this point was not aware that there was any problem in relation to your Steak, Side Orders and Service.
Diane Sauce is a very popular choice within the Old Mill Restaurant and always available so I am shocked and sorry that it was not served to you. I apologise that you did not receive mixed leaf salad & can assure you that if our chef had been aware this was your request this certainly would have been available, however from your order this was recorded as a tossed side salad.
I am also sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy the music within the Restaurant and I appreciate that everyone has their own taste in respect to this. As it was very soft singing & instrumental and guests were enjoying the ambience we had not been aware that you were not enjoying it. If we had known this we could have relocated you to another table or indeed altered the music in someway.
I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me, on dferguson@canalcourthotel.com or 02830251234, to discuss your visit further, especially in regards to the poor level of service which you feel you received from all staff. We do place great emphasis on providing a high level of service and am dissappointed you did not experience this on your visit.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Ireland
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I have to say I am still in shock that this hotel has a 4star rating. I have stayed in 2 star hotel that were soooooooo much better.

The reception staff were very good and very friendly.

The bar staff were atrocious...one barman actually argued with me when I asked him why he had not put any alcohol in my cocktail!

The room was spacious and clean. The decor was not in par with what one would expect from a hotel of this "calibre". The shower curtain was so flimsey it stuck to my body will showering. NOT NICE. The pillows were like bricks but the bed was comfortable.

I had breakfast sent to my room. It consisted of one sausage, one slice of bacon, half a tomato and a fried egg that could be bounced of the wall. I was totally shocked at this very poor quality as one has to pay for the privilege of having breakfast in bed!

I will not stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Nothing to add
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank feedee61
DeborahNewry, General Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Guest
I must firstly apologise for what appears to have been a very poor experience on your visit to the Hotel. I am very shocked and alarmed to read your review and would very much appreciate if you could contact me to discuss the date of your stay.
We do place great emphasis on ensuring excellent customer service and freshly prepared meals as well as cocktails, and therefore would welcome the opportunity to investigate this further.
I will raise the issues relating to your shower curtain & pillows with our Accommdation Manager and sincerely apologise that you felt these were of a sub standard quality. Our Beds are pillow top beds and should provide the ultimate in comfort as well as a selection of pillow types being available depending on guest requirements.
If you do have the opportunity to contact me on 02830251234 or dferguson@canalcourthotel.com I would be extremely grateful.

Miss Deborah Ferguson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Carrickdale Hotel
#5 of 8 in Dundalk
Donard Hotel
Donard Hotel
#5 of 16 in Newcastle

Been to Canal Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!