“Great Stay at Canal Court”

Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Great Stay at Canal Court”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

We stayed in the penthouse for two nights after getting married nearby. The spa tub was great for relaxing after such a busy week and there was a separate shower too and his and hers sinks.

The sitting area was large and had a TV and then there was another TV in the bedroom area.

It was very spacious and for £200 it was well worth it especially with all the wedding trappings which took up half the room eventually!

There were two stairs to go up which were just for the penthouse so not sure if it would be suitable for those with walking difficulties.

The breakfast was lovely, a fair selection.

The Sunday carvery looked great too. My husband said the meal he had in the restaurant was excellent. The location is very central directly opposite the bus station.

Other guests stayed at the hotel and also had very good things to say about the other rooms. We did not use any of the facilities really as we had things to do outside the hotel but I would recommend the Canal Court.

• Liked — Space
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blmcconn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2007

Ive been in this hotel for one day conferences but never stayed over and in the past given its location in the city centre and lack of car parking I never give it much consideration- however - that all changed

I stayed for just one night and I have to say I was very impressed with the staff, the rooms, the food and overall an excellent experience. The hotel has a bit of a strange layout but is very clean and the staff are excellent. I have specail dietary requirements and they could not do enough to help me.

I had a large bedroom with kingsize bed with views of the town. I didnt manage to get to the gym but i heard it was excellent as well.

Overall this was a really nice surprise and would have no problem going back or recommending this hotel.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — car park
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank BrendanB
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2007

We stayed at the Canal Court this weekend, for a friend's wedding at Narrow Water Castle. We stayed on the 'Romantic Break' deal and therefore were in one of the hotel's ambassador suites, which was massive. The hotel itself is a little dated: the rooms (though clean and tidy and with all the mod cons one would ever need) need a touch of modern sparkle and the pool area similarly needs a little updating. As an aside, if you're planning on using the pool, swimming caps are compulsory though can be bought on site.

The service we received deserves special mention. Nothing was too much for the staff at Canal Court. As an example, on the deal we had booked, we were entitled to a five-course meal on one of the nights of our stay. We were unable to take advantage of this on the second night (we were at a wedding) and so had planned on dining late on the Friday. However, our plane was delayed and we feared we would therefore miss last orders in the restaurant. On phoning ahead to explain this, the hotel manager was happy to read the menu out over the phone (!), take our orders and to ensure food would be kept warm until we arrived some 30 minutes after the kitchen had stopped taking orders. We were so grateful for this, and I have not experienced such kind service in a very long time.

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — the view (over the air con units!)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kate N
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

We attended a wedding in the Hotel and booked an overnight stay to prevent having to drive home. The welcome at reception was "like a patter" learnt off by heart with no, or little enthusiasm, and I don't think the girls on duty ever smiled. We asked to checkin and were presented with a reservations sheet which required signature, and it stated the rate as £120. Other wedding guests were paying £110 - when I asked why, I was told that we had booked a deluxe room - not the case. We made our reservation by telephone on 3 May 2007 and our only request was a disabled room. When I explained this to the receptionist she practically puffed in my face (bad day?) and then went off "in a huff "to check what ever she checked. When she returned I was informed "£120" was due as this was a deluxe room as requested. Not so I commented - our only request was disabled room NOT deluxe. We had not even realised there was an option of standard / deluxe. I asked if I could be moved to a standard disabled room and was promptly informed that these rooms were fully booked. We were not informed of this at the time we made our reservation.. Any way I made a passing comment that "I wonder if those guests booked their room on 3 May! But needless to say I got no response! Interestingly too we had a phone call form the bride's sister about 2 weeks before the wedding to ask us if the room reserved for **** was us - she had heard we may want to stay, so had reserved a room on our behalf, and as the hotel was becoming short of rooms the hotel gave out our name and telephone number and asked her to confirm. I don't appreciate this kind of information being made public knowledge, and if pressed I could suggested contravening the data protection possibly? Another wedding guest was with me at the time of checkin (she and her husband had already left their belongings in their room. I was told it was lovely). So, rather than cause a fuss with other wedding guests in the foyer, I decided to keep quiet and went off to the room with the intention of confirming the details with my husband - who had made the reservation. She however asked if this was not unfair treatment for disabled people! (Fair point!)
My friend and I went to the room we had been allocated and found that it was really quite dark and depressing, although relatively close to the lift, and the outlook from the window was into the car park at the rear of the building (that is, in between parts of the hotel buildings. There is no doubt that a wheelchair user (if this was my disability) would have enjoyed the walk-in shower, the emergency alarm cord in the bathroom etc., but when we compared our room to the standard of our colleagues - we were very disappointed. Their room was bright and airy, very spacious and more suitable for those with any mobility difficulties (of course this includes wheel chair users).Ok they may have had narrower doors and no walk in shower, they had a bath. The £110 rate was a special discount rate offered to the wedding guests - I believe the normal rate for standard room is £120.The saga continued when we discovered that other guests at our table had been quoted £140 for a deluxe room, which may have been reduced to £130 as guests of the wedding - I'm not sure, but when I heard that he had asked for a smoking room and was told this would be £20.00 extra, words failed me! I didn't know it was allowed in enclosed spaces any more, and further comment is that had I known smoking rooms were available at the hotel - I would have got one for myself!! The deluxe room was huge - extremely spacious and beautifully decorated - that almost made me angry!
As another "post" noted - there was a comment card in the room - so my hubby and I filled in the details of our experiences - asking for a written response. As the wedding was 5 days ago we still wait for contact. I'm now actually wondering if the happy smiling girls on reception (not!) have received or passed on the card to management - and - I almost dread to ask....is there a chance it may have been misled or fallen into a bin?? I've worked in hotels myself for 20 + years and I know this kind of comment may get "lost" - especially if you work in reception and are the collection point for the comments..which include your job role... time will tell!
All I can say is I won't be back - they can keep their dark wee room - deluxe my "foot"!
Breakfast was also a hive of puffing disgruntled service staff with only 1 exception - and the hotel should be grateful for her - as the stocks were not replenished - no pastries as suggested in another review, no fresh fruit, and little room on the table as no dishes were taken away to give us room - so I ate my porridge off my knee.
The wedding meal and service was good - so I know there is potential for the rest of the staff - somewhere!

• Liked — The wedding
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Valtpal
Limerick
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2007

Just home after two night stay in Canal Court I was so disappointed as I had just a few days off and wanted to spend it in Northern Ireland I'm aware that hotels in Northern Ireland aren't the same standard as Southern Ireland hotels but I never knew they fell so short - this hotel would be hard pushed to get 2 stars in South. I didn't find the staff friendly as reported by other reviewer and make sure you have caught up with sleep before you go or are not going to bother going to bed while you are there .The noise on the corridors never stops all night and a baby crying in the room next door most of the night didn't help. You really need to follow South of Ireland hoteliers and stop your doors banging even though they need to close themselves (fire regs) they can be modified so they do this quietly. I dont think I'm a crank in saying this as I stay in hotels fairly often and as you will see from my other reviews I have had some great experiences. Think I'll be giving the North a miss until they upgrade their hotels- and this hotel wasn't cheap!!! I stayed one night on the way home in hotel in Dublin for half the price and so much nicer.

• Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank Deircon
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

After originally having been booked into a different hotel and wishing to check out almost before checking in, I contacted the Canal Court. The professionalism and helpfulness of the receptionist was wonderful and refreshing to receive. She even greeted me by name when I walked in before I said who I was!

The staff were polite and helpful with nothing too much trouble and always smiling.

The breakfast was hot and substantial and again nothing was too much trouble. The cold breakfast had a lovely choice of fruit, cereals, yoghurts, pastries and fruit juices. Mixing the two was no problem.

The meals in the restaurant were superb and very large.

Room service was prompt, efficient and friendly.

The room was immaculate with fresh bedlinen and towels every day. After washing a top in the bathroom and leaving it over the bath to dry, I returned to find that housekeeping had put it on a hanger next to the towel rail for me.

Overall I would go back like a shot. Well done, and thank you for a fantastic week.

• Liked — The professionalism and friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — A mini bar would have been helpful
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank CumbriaEagle
n.ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2007

i stayed in the canal court 4 a weddin it was great the staff were nice and the food was great, but the next day i was down have a bit to eat and the waiting staff was lovely there was 1 girl settin tables and the manger seem to be very harsh with th young girl for no reason that i could see. this went on the whole time i was have my lunch. when i was finish i ask the girl was she ok she pleitly said yes and went on with her duties. i made a formal complent at the time but did not no the name of the girl been builed by restrant manger..

hope this problem has been resolved as i would not like a child of mine being treated like this in her work place..

• Stayed June 2007
5 Thank maureenfearon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Carrickdale Hotel
#5 of 8 in Dundalk
Donard Hotel
Donard Hotel
#5 of 16 in Newcastle

Been to Canal Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!