“Great stay, despite reviews.”

and 1 more site!
Mourne Country Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Bray, Ireland
“Great stay, despite reviews.”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hi just returned from a lovely weekend in Newry, Co.Down visiting the mountains of mourne and was surprised by all the negative reviews which left me feeling compelled to give my review. We stayed in the hotel and had a lovely stay. The food was excellent the room was comfortable with décor that was tastefully done. Our enjoyable stay was helped in no small way by the friendliness of the staff Breege and Aine and their colleagues. Thanks also to their chef from Annalong who prepared such beautiful dinners for both of us and also the desserts which were just delicious! All in all a pleasant weekend was had, finished off with a great nights dancing to Robert Mizzell, we will, hopefully, be going back again.

Eileen and John, Co.Wicklow

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank EODonnell34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here with my hubby and our children last week a little xmas treat for them.we arrived at d hotel and were greeted by the assisant manager she said the room was a 100 pound for the nite which i thought was good as there was the 5 of us.including breakfast.everything seemed pretty quiet which i thought was strange for a weekend and xmas around the corner. We went up stairs after payin big mistake. room was cold the cot d gave us for d baby was hanging together sheets wer dirty bare wires in the bathroom .no oil heating which they gave us an electric heater which went in fire after my hubby put it out we realised there was no fire alarms.we wer given a camp bed which was also broken.the plug wer d kettle was. was over loaded tv hairdryer and long lead from kettle which a child cud pull. totally unsafe for adults never mind children. after a night of stay we got up for breakfast which was tea and toast. i complained in the morning about our stay and got bad manners from the manager. i was told the manager of the hotel died and i saidni thought you wer the manager she said oh i mean d owner.wat an excuse this hotel is so not safe or clean stay clear from the mourne country dump.

• Stayed December 2012
8 Thank coolnasillagh

Travelers are raving about these Newry hotels

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 14, 2012

After a long day of traveling from cork to belfast we decided to stop in for dinner. As we were with a tour group it was all pre-arranged. I have to say the service we received at dinner was poor at best. The plates were basically thrown at us, no please or thank you. between courses i went to the bathroom and when i returned my mother (who was noticeably sick at the time due to illness) informed me that the waitress clearing the table just looked at mother and said 'Id want very long hands to get that wouldn't I' she said she looked at her in disbelief and that waitress went on to say 'well? ' and my mother as quick as she could reached for the plate! i think this is disgraceful i would mind as much if my mother wasnt ill! and so noticeably so!! I was asked not to make a fuss so i didnt. then i was informed that desert would be apple pie and i honestly have no idea what we received. Im guessing it was some sort of meringue. I would never recommend this hotel. From past experiances i have never seen such poor and inattentive service

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Linda R
Fife Scotland
Reviewed February 5, 2012

After having read reviews before we stayed in this hotel we were expecting a lot worse than what we got. Room was warm, clean bedding, (Maybe just a bit dated) but overall room was grand. Bathroom clean also and plenty of coffee etc for room faclities. Bit short staffed and continental breakfast was okay with us but maybe some people might lke the option of a fry up. Hotel just needs a bit of attention and could maybe pick up again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bluebrazilwta
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a week as a was working in the Newry area, in from Belfast! The rooms are basic but quite comfortable and practical! Food was also very nice, got my breakfast every morning and had no complaints! Staff where also very friendly and where happy to give me advice on the surrounding newey area!

• Stayed December 2011
7 Thank Thedophler
cork
Reviewed December 11, 2011

My husband and I were coming back from a trip to Belfast yesterday and decided to stopover in Newry until the next morning as we were travelling on to Cork. We were weary from the road and just wanted to put our heads down so we decided to call in. Yes, they had a vacancy!after charging us 80 sterling the lady proceeded to tell us that the room might be a wee bit COLD!! Cold wasn't the word for it, the room was FREEZING, no heating on at all and the smell of musk & mould was dreadful. We went straight back to reception and got our money back. The lady was not surprised at all, strangely enough! This hotel is a rip off and these conditions are not acceptable and should be investigated by the health authorities.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank margaretoCork
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Hotel is very old fashioned and dark. Very quiet and the bar closes early. I was here for 4 weeks for work and stayed with 15 others. Avoid hotel manager, she's very miserable and everything is difficult for her. Bridget deserves a payrise. She gave us all brilliant service as did the other woman. Can't remember her name. However if I actually paid for my stay I wouldn't be too happy.

• Stayed June 2011
5 Thank Paulsteed1983
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk
Four Seasons Hotel
Four Seasons Hotel
#1 of 2 in Carlingford

Been to Mourne Country Hotel? Share your experiences!