“Late night meal”
Review of Art Bar Funkel

Art Bar Funkel
Ranked #1 of 125 Restaurants in Newry
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: BT35 6BB www.artbarfunkel.com
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Coming out of a show in the Arts Centre, we thought we had no chance of getting a meal in town but on phoning Art Barfunkels we were delighted to get a table for four at 10pm. The staff were very welcoming and the service was excellent. There was a great buzz in the restaurant even at that time. We shared the antipasti starter which was plentiful for four. My favourite dish was the chicken wings, which were lovely and spicy but all of the dishes were so tasty. Loved the chocolate fondue dessert too! All in all I would recommend Art Barfunkels if your looking for tasty food in a relaxed and friendly environment. Looking forward to going back!

There are newer reviews for Art Bar Funkel

Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife and I went here for a meal to celebrate our anniversary. We had been before and both liked it so we thought we'd make an evening of it.

We were greeted very nicely when we arrived and shown straight to our table. The girl who served us was very attentive without being pushy, when she heard we'd been before she just let us get on with choosing what we wanted.

The food was top notch, and four large dishes between 2 people is definitely enough, along with a starter it left us too full for a dessert!

All in all, we'll definitely be back, thanks for a lovely evening.

1  Thank Stefan P
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

I'm not normally one for taking the time to review places on TA, in fact I have never bothered to, but this place just deserves the following minutes I am going to dedicate to their hard work and graft.

I go to Newry every week and need to kill time. I used to fill this in by doing a spot of shopping and drinking coffee. This is normally followed up by a quick burger in a local fast food joint on my return leg of the school run. However on the 16/10/12 I decided to take the bull by the horns, cancelled the shopping and thought it's time for a treat! And what a treat it was to turn out to be...

Myself accompanied by my beloved big sister (whom is not one for restaurants) entered this vibrant wee gem located on Monaghan Street, across from our usual haunt where on a weekly basis pay over the odds for fast food, always looking across saying "I must go there next time" (my last visit in January was short, epic and very memorable, that time I had the chicken & noodle stirfry, I was annoyed then as I didn't have time to hang about and eat more).

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. We were greeted on arrival, just before 1pm, shown to a table ordered coffee and started to ponder what on gods earth am I going to eat. Every option on the menu was appealing, the specials board was appealing. I think between the 2 of us there were several mind changes before we jumped in and ordered. I went for the beef burger topped with bacon and blue cheese, sis had the same dilemma but ended up going for the chicken wings and an additional side of funky spuds which I also had served with my burger.

While we were waiting, engrossed with the decor, menu and bar we barely noticed the place had filled up, every table was occupied. There was a great buzz, warmth and atmosphere in the place.

Food arrives, I could go on about this all day but the burger was just awesome, distinct flavour of the cheese too. My funky spuds were so addictive. I nearly lost a digit going to tackle my dining partners left overs, which was hard not to try and squeeze in there. The flavour of the chicken wings was unreal. I'm not one for spicy foods but I couldn't help and try the delicious sauce they were covered in (possible hint of tobasco in there).

We reluctantly then nearly begged the waiter to take the plates away as we were eying up the desserts and had to try one, before we over ate on our mains. We went for a sharing platter of mallows, strawberries, shortbread and profiteroles. Served with warm chocolate sauce. Words cannot describe how good this was, espically with another freshly brewed coffee.

All food was very well presented, fresh and full of flavour. Do yourself a favour and get your tail ends in here. I will be back time after time from now on, you should do the same. I cannot wait until next Tuesday so I can return.

Best value and quality I have ever tasted in Newry. Keep up the good work!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Only ate here once but really enjoyed it. The tapas style means you can try a little bit of everything rather than a lot of just one. I reccommend going in a group to get the best range of foods.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The food was amazing !! So everyone told me I was delighted with the service received, food arrived at 7pm and guests arrived shortly after ( for christening) had 30 guest round to the house
The staff here were so helpful and friendly that it totally took the stress out having a dinner party
Everyone loved the food and there was so much of it ! Would highly recommend it to anyone thanks