“Great weekend escape island, and close to BKK!”
Review of Koh Samed

Koh Samed
Book In Advance
More Info
$50.40*
and up
Full-Day Samet Island Including Lunch from Pattaya
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Great place to party, eat, rest or hang out and relax on the weekend... It's within a few hours of Bangkok, and is a great place to spend a few days as a tourist or as a resident of BKK! Perfect swimming beach (nice sand, no rocks or shells), except for the garbage and boats.

1  Thank mitchell b

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I read about the oil slick on the west coast of Koh Samed last year on trip advisor. Have just visited there (April 16th - 23rd 2014). Was worried before travelling, but decided to go as posts from as far back as Aug 2013 were positive that the East Coast was unaffected. We spent most of our time by the pool at our resort. But went down to the beach 3 or 4 times, and played in the sea. On our final day after being in the sea a couple of times that day already, I started to notice little black specks in the sea. There were about 20 or 30 per square metre. Managed to get hold of one. It was definitely oil. Not sure if this is a result of the oil spill last year and was now washing in due to the direction of the tide (as we hadn't seen previously). Although, it could have been from a boat we'd seen earlier that was spewing black fumes. That said, when building sand castles with the kids, I noticed that below the first 3 inches of beautiful white sand, the sand was a dark grey colour. Again, I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Oil worries aside, I was pretty disgusted by some of the litter being washed up on the shore, and the usual lack of effort by the the Thais to remove it.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I traveled here sometime in September with a friend. We had no itinerary whatsoever, and have not booked any hotels ahead of time.

The area we stayed at was called silver sands - which proved to be a wrong decision as it was just too crowded. Beach was pretty standard, nothing too thrilling about it. As mentioned on the subject line, I have seen better.

Food cost is too expensive for blah Thai food.

1  Thank dangerous_mind
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My first time in Thailand and I opted for a less touristy island. And glad I did! The beaches are great and some of them are just gorgeous.

It is just 4 hours away from Bangkok and perfect to spend a weekend there.

1  Thank Salmanio
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

It's very thai, it's very nice, has beaches, good food and everything else other islands would offer. I am a fan of this island but if your first time to Thailand would not recommend to only visit here. Otherwise really lovely!

1  Thank Zoltan V