“Perfect Retreat!!”

Belan Bach Lodges
Telford, United Kingdom
“Perfect Retreat!!”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

First of all, please ignore the bad reviews that you can find on this site. We have just returned from a 4 day break and loved every minute; the bad review spoilt the build up for my other half but she was more than happy upon our arrival.

We stayed in Celyn Lodge 2 with our Boxer dog, Bo. Upon arrival the accommodation was really clean with a pint of milk and tea bags waiting for us. The key was left in the door by the owner so we could walk straight in. Even though other lodges are in close proximity, the way the owner has landscaped the area makes you feel you're on your own!! The view from the lodge - and hot tub - is stunning where you can fully enjoy the beautiful Welsh countryside!!

Every utensil you could want is provided within the lodge; hoover, pots and pans, plates, cutlery, washing machine, dishwasher, iron and ironing board etc. Towels are also provided however I would take a couple from home with you for the hot tub :)

If you are looking for a total retreat with stunning walks this is the place for you. Please note that the closet supermarket or amenities is a 30 minute drive away which wasn't an issue for us at all!

The owner, Richard, is approachable and always available if you do have any issues (which we did not).

We will personally be returning to get away from the hustle of everyday life and totally relax!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David N

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2014

After booking a much needed escape for my husband and 2 children to Belan Bach through hoseasons we finally arrived last night! We have booked through hoseasons before and stayed at some amazing places! When we arrived it was fairly late (6pm) and we didn't know which lodge was ours. We knocked on the house door to be told that the keys were in it! Usually we someone gives us a tour, makes sure we are happy etc... But alas we were left to our own devices.
On entering the property we tried not to be judgemental but from the state of the hot tub we just knew what we were going to find when we walked in!
We stayed at the Banwy lodge and to say it's like stepping back into the 80's is an understatement! The only positive was the modern kitchen. But the whole place looked like it had not been cleaned since the 80's too! It was filthy! I am not super picky but this was beyond disgusting! We contacted the owner via phone who did not once offer to bring down a Hoover or even apologise!! He just said we could leave and have our money back! This was now 7pm. This place is hours from anywhere, it's half term week so our chances of finding anywhere are very slim! My children are crying as they just want a nice holiday!!
We said we would stay overnight and leave in the morning. This is where we made the biggest mistake!
After more investigation and deciding eventually to brave bed... We noticed little insects that were crawling on the filthy headboard (I have put all the photos on here). The insects were falling on to the sheets!! So we pulled the bed back away from the wall snd the true horror of filth became apparent!! I could not sleep!! There was thick dust that has taken years to culminate all over the valance sheet... Along with stains of some sort I would not even guess what it would be!! I have never even as a student on a right budget, stayed anywhere as disgusting as this! It's a complete health hazard due to mould growing on every single wall!
Hoseasons were in contact with me until late into the evening but unfortunately cannot do anything until the morning. So far they have been very understanding and we are due a call this morning to move us!
If I was the owner and had confidence in my place, I would have come down and looked at the things we have said about but we have had no contact with anyone since getting in our lodge!! The owner clearly doesn't care because his response was 'we are always busy and people come here over and over again'
I have seen a couple of the other lodges that look more modern that this and can only assume those people have stayed there.. No one would accept these standards! We payed 575 for four nights!!!
There were massive cobwebs everywhere, the ceiling of the lodge was panelled wood and cobwebs just hung down everywhere!!, there were huge spiders in every corner, mould on the walls? Dirt and thick dust in and on the curtains, as well as unsightly stains on the curtains, thick dust on the headboard with insects crawling in it, thick dust in corners of the rooms and in door frames, thick cobwebs in cupboards, dirty splattering on kitchen units, crumbs and big bits of dirt etc in carpets where they didn't quite meet the wall, the whole place smelt musty and damp, and the floors are sticky so I was so pleased I bought my slippers!!
I finally managed to get 2 hours 10 minutes sleep and we are now waiting for the children to wake up so we can get out if here! Please look at my photos before booking! I wish someone had posted these before we came!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank carrie1404
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Just arrived home after visiting Belan Bach lodges with my boyfriend and 4 friends. We all had a fantastic time and would recommend to anyone.

Owners are very friendly and welcoming. We had a few problems with the shower and fire but Richard (owner) was round within the hour and sorted them out.

Would deff recommend and would love to go back :)

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ashleigh7790
chester
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Building looked and felt tired. Not the cleanest we have stayed in! Especially as we arrived a hour before we were allowed in at 4pm but lady said lodge not ready I said fine as we had left home early as traffic might have been a problem getting there on time. I am not sure why the lodge was not ready as you have to vacate at 10am sharp according to folder in the lodge(lodge was not the cleanest) cobwebs and shower was a bit dirty (hairs)no handover carried out to show facilities etc again another folder supplied in the lodge. Surroundings nice and quite which was good. What I thought was strange that at no time did anybody come along and introduce themselves or ask was everything was ok! Overall not happy sorry:-(

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We have just returned from a long weekend 21st anniversary break, it was amazing, even the adverse weather didn't spoil our time there, in fact being confined to the lodge Celyn 2 with 70mph winds blowing was even more romantic! As said before take everything you might need if your not prepared to drive out and eat. I also packed a travel hairdryer just in case, and had to use it, although im sure if i'd have asked one would have been provided. The hot tub ran at 40 degrees the whole time we were there. Please read the instruction manual before you go in though. too longer dip can leave you feeling a bit queasy, and someone mentioned a rash because of the chlorine, it does advise you to shower before hand, I didn't do this on our first night because I had already showered that morning, I do have a small pinprick rash on my wrists, perhaps from my perfume?. Anyway, beautiful views, clean, well equipped, defienately booking again for April.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bebington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I booked this lodge for myself and husband and 4 friends for my birthday,we stayed in the derwen lodge,we booked for four nights and our friends stayed for two,the surroundings were beautiful the lodge was modern and clean,we all slept really well,the hot tub was the winner of the stay for us all and when our friends left we had two nights alone and used the hot tub,even in the cold winds and rain!!!there were a few small issues that should have been seen too such as the shower,the wall lining in the bathroom,light switches and finding previous occupants things,but for it all,it was the most perfect stay for my birthday and we all have lifelong memories to share,will definitely visit in future.

• Stayed February 2014
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Celwyn 1 lodge (4 berth plus dog friendly)..We absolutely loved this place. Quiet, tranquil and overlooks spectacular views of Welsh countryside. The lodges are cleverly treelined so you never feel like you have neighbours (although there are only 6 lodges on site). The lodges are warm and homely and have every mod con including a dishwasher and good high standard utensils and you feel very relaxed when you walk in. We had a problem with the shower when we got there but Richard the owner fixed it straight away. We took food/drink with us as there is very little nearby but for me that was the beauty of the break although a trip to the dams of Lake Vyrnwy is a must as it is breathtaking. If you like the great outdoors walking or cycling this is the place for you. HOWEVER... There was one little hitch which I think needs mentioning. The hot tub was lovely BUT we all mentioned how the chlorine stung our eyes and appeared too strong and on the last day of our stay our 12 year old came out in a rash all over her body and still has it now (2 days later).. I too have rashes on my legs which I believe is from chemical burns from too much chlorine in the water. I will take this up with Hoseasons who I booked the break through.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Dave B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangadfan
Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa
#2 of 5 in Llanidloes
Dolanog Bed & Breakfast
Dolanog Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 3 in Dolanog

Been to Belan Bach Lodges? Share your experiences!