Vilamendhoo has just reopened from refurb, and we stayed in the jacuzzi water villas in the second week of Jan 2011 which were fantastic - the Indian ocean from the front deck, and a large hot tub on the rear deck, with loungers on both decks. Inside it was big and had all the gadgets you would need (tv, dvd, coffee machine, ipod docking station etc), a mini bar frequently topped up and pure luxury. (also provide a brolly - but we didnt need it!).
It is definitely worth the upgrade as some of the beach villas don't have much beach outside and can be regularly walked past by other guests, thus are not private. the occupants of the water villas and jacuzzi beach villas have a separate restaurant where no children are allowed, and it is smaller and more intimate. Food was excellent with lots of chefs always checking that the food was fresh and beautifully presented. The sunset bar staff were excellent as was the location to watch some lovely sunsets.
The house reef is one of the highlights as it runs down the full length of both sides of the island with literally millions of fish for every snorkel or dive. It is well marked, so even at low tide there are routes through the shallow corral beds to the reef so the fish are always accessible. As a frequent traveller, this experience was one of the best!
There is a gym with modern kit, a tennis court, putting green and football pitch if you are feeling active and the spa is great - relaxing looking at the sea. AI guests were given a free 15 min massage to sample it.
Yes there is still a bit of work to do (the garden rooms were still to be completed and they were finishing off putting lights to the tennis courts and netting round the football pitch) but these are so minor issues that didn't have any negative impact on our holiday at all.
If you are going, I hope you have a wonderful holiday - we did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon, an excellent house reef and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Vilamendhoo, South Ari Atoll. It is 900 meters long by 250 meters wide, about 55 acres. Your seaplane transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 25 minute flight. 184 Rooms include 30 Jacuzzi water villas, 30 Jacuzzi beach villas, 111 beach villas and 13 garden rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel Vilamendhoo
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa Maldives
- Hotel Vilamendhoo Island