“Our honeymoon was truly perfect”

Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilamendhoo
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Well sorry for the brief review but all I can say about this place is it was absolutely perfect. On leaving our rep asked if we would go back and we said no..... The reason is it was so perfect that if we went back and one single thing wasn't right it ruin our perfect honeymoon. Yes it really is that good. The food is also some of the best food we've ever eaten and we've tried to cook it ourselves since and failed miserably. If you go and you love something ask how to make it before you leave

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paulowoo
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Dear Paulowoo,

Sunny greetings from your honeymoon paradise!

Thank you very much for choosing Vilamendhoo as your honeymoon destination. I am so glad to hear that you had a perfect honeymoon with us.

The one thing I can assure you is consistency in our service. Vilamendhoo is very proud to be one of the leading resorts in South Ari Atoll for return business. We entertain 50 repeat guests on weekly basis.

Thank you for highlighting the food. Our guests regard Vilamendhoo food same as you have “ The best we have ever eaten”. We serve food in buffet style to our guests in two of the main restaurants. Of course, if the guest prefer to choose À la carte restaurant, we have an Asian Wok and a Hot Rock with very unique two concepts.

Paulowoo, I would like to recommend to visit us again in a near future and test us. It will be great to welcome you back to the paradise.

There are newer reviews for Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Firstly I am writing about our honeymoon at the end of March 2013. Yes it is late but I thought I had posted a review and I hadn't! This is my second visit to Vilamendhoo and as such I am quite confident that my review is still relevant, albeit a little late...

This island is paradise, pure and simple. Yes, there are lots of islands to choose from but I don't think I would look any further if I was fortunate enough for a 3rd visit. Here are the reasons why:

Food - Lots of variety, including theme days, and all great quality. You can sample Maldivian food as well as lots of other options from around the world. You should try one of their curries at least once during your stay. I was a very fussy eater on my 1st visit and I didn't struggle to find anything to eat, not once. Yes it is buffet, but we are not talking cheap all inclusive European buffet. The Asian Wok is advisable for a treat, especially the Tepanyaki which is food and entertainment in one!!

Accommodation - We stayed in a beach villa. Yes the water villas are very nice (we were allowed a little look inside one) but there is something about walking out onto the sand for me. The mini bar is a blessing allowing you to sunbath on the beach and just pop back the very short walk to your villa for an ice cold drink. The room was lovely and comfortable and very clean. The room boys and beach boys do a great job in keeping everything spotless and topped up. The aircon was certainly a lot quieter and barely noticeable compared to my 1st visit. Whilst again, the water villas are lovely, I do not think that you can go wrong with any of the accommodation on this island. It really is a matter of preference. To be honest, I would rather pay less to stay in a beach villa. The food is the same in both buffet restaurants so it is just the accommodation you pay the difference on.

The sea - The house reef here is renowned for being spectacular and I couldn't justify how amazing it is. We swam around the reef at least once every day for the two weeks we were there. You can see plenty of rays and sharks (not the biting ones!) and millions of fish. If you are anywhere near as lucky as we were, you might get to swim up close with a sea turtle when there is no one else around. Our favourite memory. We also made use of taking a canoe out which was good fun.

The staff - What can I say? The staff are all amazing. They cannot do enough for you and seem to have an uncanny knack at when it is good to have a chat and when it is best to leave you in private. You never feel like you are being watched but as soon as your glass looks like it is about to be empty, they are there. We had Nawal as our restaurant server and he was a true gentleman. The way that the staff have so many people to look after and yet still give a personal touch is a real testament to them. You can tip if you wish but it is done at the end of your stay. A little bit of advice, we got envelopes from reception to put out tips in as it seemed a little more personal than just handing over cash!

Other highlights - Maldivian night is a must!! Trips are personal choice but swimming with whale sharks was something special. The gym, yes why would you, but during the hottest point of the afternoon the gym is a nice place to escape the heat. The bonthi bar. It may not have the sunset view but it is still just as good to sit in the evening watching the fish feeding and we felt that the staff here were a lot more interactive.

And finally... My husband was a little sceptical of going to the Maldives. It is a lot of money. His mind was changed completely by going to Vilamendhoo. I think this island gives you a lot for your money, especially considering it is a fair bit cheaper than others, and is well worth every penny. No corner is cut and you will not regret a stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Kelly M
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Kelly M,

Sunny greetings from your home away from home!
Thank you for your return visit and thank you for an amazing review.
Of course your review is still relevant and worth to us.

Thank you for your complement to our little piece of paradise and obviously I live here and still struggle to describe the real beauty of the place, this is one of its kind and the beauty is dreamlike.

It is certainly the best feeling of all when our guests like you appreciate the amazing team of Vilamendhoo. Management team and I really feel so blessed to work with them every day.

The spectacular scenery, meticulous environment and crystal clear water with such an amazing variety of fishes and corals are hard to find even in the Maldives and certainly we are doing everything we can to protect it.

Thank you for recommending the whale shark trip and other trips that we do for our guests including the Maldivian Cultural show.

Kelly, it was great to look after you both for your honeymoon and I would like to hear from you that your visiting us for the 3rd time in a near future.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Just returned to US from an amazing week at Vilamendoo. Had booked a JWV for whole week but arrived to hear they were all full and we would need to stay in JBV for a night. Was a little upset but they offered to refund the difference to my account and offered a $100 credit for either excursions or the Hot Wok Restaurant (we took the restaurant choice and enjoyed that meal). Once we were in our JWV we were as happy as I can ever imagine being happy. We were in 329. The walk to the end was worth it. FYI, in the month of July, the sunsets on the ODD # side of the JWV but each night there were clouds so we never really got a clear sunset. Staff were great. Other tourists were friendly and nice but overall the adult section of the island is pretty quiet and if you didn't want to have to talk to anyone, you wouldn't have to. We did 7 SCUBA dives there including trips to see Mantas, Whale Sharks and Turtles. I did the night dive which was awesome. Buffet food was very good. They vary the selections each day so even after 1 week we saw few repeats. Sun was bright... it was warm but not too hot (bring your flip-flops on the walk to the water villas as the wood can get hot. Great fish off the house reef. What else can I say?? As we never saw rain our 7 days... it was a perfect trip (I did hear it rained a few hours a day after we left).

Room Tip: In July, if you have a water villa, try to request an ODD room. But as mentioned above we never saw...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank clintonuws
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2014

Dear clintonuws,

Warm greetings from Vilamendhoo!

Thank you so much for flying across the world to visit us all the way from US.
I would like to thank you also for taking your time in writing a great review of your week in Vilamendhoo.

I am so sorry about the room issue that you had upon arrival and it is not something that we would like our guests to experience. But due to the demand and trying to please all the guests, it is certainly a very tough task. I am so glad that you were happiest at the Jacuzzi Water Villa.
Like you have experienced, this is truly magical and there is no worries or problems when you are in Paradise.

This is a very out door type holiday and I am glad that you enjoyed the SCUBA diving with EURO Divers.

Our chefs work very hard to provide excellent choice to the guests and we have two week rotation menu to minimize the repetition of food. We also advise our guests, if you have special dietary requirements, contact to our chef / Guest Services to ensure that we customize to the guest demand. Because it is important for us to address every individual guest need.

Monsoon in the Maldives is still dry and it could go without a single rain drop for weeks. When it rains it rains at once and stop. I happy that you had a good week of weather too.

Clintonuws, I am looking forward to welcome you back to Vilamendhoo in a near future.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My wife and I went for 10 days to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We stayed on the sister island for our honeymoon so knew what we were in for. The island is beautiful, the sea life amazing and if you want that paradise island experience then it will tick SOME boxes.
On an island of this size firstly you dont need longer than 7-10 days as that is all it takes to tick all the boxes in terms of food, drink and excursions. The people on the island are wonderful and really go out of their way to make your trip perfect. There are TWO main problems I have
1) the lighting in the dining hall is too dim, it sends you to sleep and after a day in the sun it is so dark you cant see what you are eating. This is a fact and not really a compliant and it can be easily fixed.
2) This IS a complaint and I cant really see how it can be fixed unless we can suddenly get access to a time machine and go back to a time when the mainland Chinese were not suddenly millionaires.
Now before you read this and think that I am just a racist having a rant let me assure you that my observations have been derived not from a brief 10 day holiday (but that is all any reasonable human being would need) but more from having lived in China for 6 years.
On the 4th day of our holiday (the previous 3 being bliss) it was as if a boat had docked and 8,000 Chinese hit the tiny island in the middle of the indian ocean. All screaming at each other as they do (they believe this to be how you hold a conversation), walking along the beach and pathways spitting every 2 steps - I kid you not.
At the dinner table they spit their food about, if it hits the plate or the floor - who cares. When they are not spitting and shouting (and sorry to be crude here) they are hucking and snorting at 100db 24 HOURS A DAY.
They took over the island within hours and it felt like we were under house arrest just to get away from them. When we did venture out onto the house reef (really nice but be quick) they were out there in their droves smashing and crashing into the coral and reef breaking everything in sight. I actually witnessed with my own two eyes a chinese guy get up from the beach 10ft from us - walk into the water barely up to his knees and then promptly stand there and urinate as if it was the most normal thing in the world.
The arrival of these heinous beings (I'm loathed to call them human") detracted 99% from the enjoyment of the whole holiday.
Now my point is that obviously the resort is there to make money and thats what the Chinese have plenty of so I cant see this situation changing or getting any better. Your only hope is to wait two maybe three generations for humanity to catch up with the Chinese before opting to spend any time in their company - at this point though you wont be able to go to the Maldives for any diving as all the reef and coral would of been long since destroyed.

Room Tip: Adult only Beachfront villas near the water bungalows are the best place to stay and actually better...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
20  Thank 01UncleTravelingMatt
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear 01UncleTravelingMatt,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay with us.

It was a pleasure for us to have you and your wife to celebrate your 5th Wedding Anniversary with us. Glad that Vilamendhoo team was very helpful in making your stay excellent.

Regarding your comment about other holiday makers, we are really sorry that you had to experience such a behavior from other tourists whilst staying with us.

We have lot of new programs to address the issue of diversity of tourism and especially to educate our clients to respect the culture of tourism that we have in the Maldives especially in Crown and Champa Resorts (CCR). As you have experienced in your previous stay in CCR, the atmosphere in our resorts are very friendly and very respectful.

I can assure you that our main market is European and we will continue to grow but mere fact is that the global hospitality is diversifying and the only way for us to do business is to study the changes and adjust our selves.

I would like to advise to our guests that if you notice any abnormal behavior from any of the in house guest, please report it to the reception / Guest Services desk, we will take necessary action.

01UncleTravelingMatt, it was great looking after you and your wife, and I hope we will be able to look after you in a not too distant future.

Until then, wish you all the best and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Wow!

My wife and I came here for our one year anniversary/delayed honeymoon. This place met and exceeded our expectation in every way. We could not have been happier that we decided to come here as every day was postcard perfect.

We did a lot of research before coming to Maldives and decided to come to Vilamendhoo because of its house reef. Also, comparing to other resorts in the area, it is a pretty good value. We got the overwater bungalow (Room 328). The view from the room was spectacular. We could go out to our back deck and jump right into the water. The water depth was only waist high even 100 meters out. Amazing! Everyday we were blown away by the beautiful sceneries of the resort. Oh, and the room was also huge and has a jacuzzi in a private deck.

Pros:

-Professional experience from the beginning. The airport greeting staff were efficient and make you feel welcome. The waiting lounge at the seaplane airport was a great beginning. The lounge had a well-stocked refrigerator with soft drinks as well as comfortable seats indoor and out. The seaplane experience was also very pleasant and only 25 minutes. Be sure to get your cameras ready.
-Spectacular beauty as soon as arrive at the island. The staff will get you acquainted with the island and its facilities.
-The room was amazing. It has everything and the view is out of this world. They provide you with life jackets, beach towels and everything you typically get at hotels. The shower/bathroom is huge! Air conditioning works well. Our dedicated room attendant, Ali, was very attentive and prompt. He cleans the room twice daily and provides us with fresh towels and replenishes water bottles. The paterns made with bed sheets during the evening was a great touch.
-The house reef is awesome. We snorkeled everyday and we always see plenty of fish, rays, sharks, crabs, sea horses, etc. many of these can be seen just by walking to our bungalow when the water is calm.
-The activities are well organized and not too expensive. We did kayaking, scuba, deep sea fishing, and got a couples massage. The massage is much recommended after a day of sea activities.
-The food at Ahima Restaurant is very good with a lot of variety. There's always a good selection of Western, Asian, and Maldivian dishes. We got the Full Board package instead of All-Inclusive so drinks were extra. However, we always brought a bottle of water from the room with us and that works out fine. My wife is not much of a drinker so we saved by going with full board.
- There's always some sort of entertainment each night. There will be signs posted at the common areas. While there we went to karaoke night, DJ night, and saw the live band. The band was very good.

Cons:
(Not much to speak of as our trip was excellent, however a few complaints)

-Some staff members can be more friendly. Our greeter was not especially welcoming. She did not have answers to our questions and told us that we can't swim from our water bungalow. This was kind of a bummer from the start as we paid a lot more to have this option. We found out as soon as we got to our room that that certainly not the case. The water is extremely swimmable all the way out to the reef.

Our assigned waiter at Ahima was also not particularly friendly. He did not smile once and a few times we saw that he was bickering with other staff members. He got the job done by getting us what we needed and cleaned up used dishes but we never got a sense that he really enjoyed his job or felt warm and fuzzy by his services.
-Drink prices can be pricy but this is understandable. We are from the SF Bay Area so the alcohol prices are comparable to home but still would add up if staying for a week. The Happy Hour 30% off deal is good as we'd usually buy beer at this time and take back to our room. However, even though happy hour is from 6-7, oftentimes they charge regular price at 6:53. This happened a few times and I had to argue with the bartender at the Sunset Bar. He also charges me for a double when I asked for a single, etc. little things that I hope the hotel corrects.
-We wanted to go to other islands to see sea of stars (plankton), and go to Conrad for Ithaa Underwater Restaurant. Vilamendhoo said they can arrange speedboats for $600 Roundtrip for a 35 min ride each way. This is just highway robbery. We were also told that sometimes the sand lights up at night at Vilamendhoo but did not see this while at Vilamendhoo.
-Wifi was spotty at best. You have to log in every hour as the free option only allow you an hour at a time. Also, our flight was not until late in the evening. As soon as we checked out at noon, we immediately were not able to access the internet.
-They don't provide towels and shower for guests that had checked out. We had hours to kill but can't swim bc there was no shower. Other than one final meal, we were pretty much left to twiddle our thumbs until it was our time to get on the seaplane. This could be improved.

Summary:

Fantastic week at the resort. We felt like we got great values for our money. There were a few things that the hotel could improve upon but overall we couldn't have been happier. We hope to be back soon.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SuperTBQ

Dear SuperTBQ,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo!

Thank you so much for choosing Vilamendhoo for your honeymoon and writing a great review of your wonderful honeymoon.

I appreciate your constructive feedback and I have already shared with management team what we can improve in light of your remarks. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and our standard in certain areas but I am so happy that those issues did not affect your honeymoon.

As you have experienced, Vilamendhoo is one of the best place to spend your special holidays. It is truly magical that the Jacuzzi Water Villas provide not only stunning view but a great deal of privacy for the honeymooners.

Food at our buffet restaurants are very carefully decided based on the demography of our guests. We prioritize quality on top of everything and I am so glad that you had wonderful meal experience too. We have already addressed the issue of your waiter by planning customer orientated training to him.

SuperTBQ, thank you once again for choosing Vilamendhoo for your honeymoon and I would like to personally welcome you and your wife to Vilamendhoo for many more years to come.

Warm Regars,

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We are a family of 4, all adults, and have spent a week. We booked through Simply Maldives with a good quote for the All Inclusive (AI) package, except that we were responsible for the booking of air tickets ourselves. We have an excellent holiday and although there may be a few reservations with the resort, all comments should be understood that the resort is super value for money. Any reader who thinks that there may be other resorts of equally value, please email me.

The resort has four types of villa to offer, from Garden Villa, Beach Villa, Jacuzzi Beach Villa and Water Villa. JBV and Water Villa are restricted to adults only who are assigned to eat at Ahima Restaurant and is a lot quieter and has better view. Garden Villa and Beach Villa accept any guests including those with young children who are assigned to use Funama Restaurant, which is located at the noisy port and seaplane landing site and are a lot crowded. The Water Villas are nice and good view but rather closely constructed. The beach is a lot narrower in the south side (or port side) of the island and there are areas where sand bags were used to reduce loss of sands, so not very nice looking. The north side is much quieter and has relatively wider beach, especially so in the area of JBV. This is where we booked for. Although we did not use Jacuzzi at all, given other associated factors, we were glad for what we have chosen.

We did two excursions. The first one was the Ocean Discovery cost us $250 per couple. This is a full day excursion with a big sail boat and supported by a small speed boat. We swam and chased a few big mantas in the Manta Point, quite exhausting. After another hour of boating, we came to the whale shark area but have no luck until the crew were about to give up. Amazing although we viewed only one whale shark, it lasted for about 10 minutes swimming at our normal pace and many of us could manage to swim down to a touchable distance (with no touching). This alone was worthy of the spending. Then we proceeded to a snorkelling area and saw a few turtles, nice but not magnificent. On our way back, the cruise slowed down until the sunset and we saw a few dolphins from a distance. This cruise provided everything you need, drink and nice lunch as well as afternoon tea and beach towels. Great value.

With this experience, we decided to take on a second excursion (half day) for the whale shark alone for $48 per person. We were not disappointed, we saw three. All along, I must praise the incredible crew, Vmal and his team who were so incredible and made so much effort for us to swim with these giant and friendly animals. This cruise is a lot faster than the sail boat, more noisy, carries more guests and provides water only. Bring your own towel.

We took the Try Out Tennis lesson and Nazeel, our instructor, was strict forward and professional. I think we have picked up some start-up skill pretty well.

We spent almost every afternoon in the Water Sports Centre, using windsurfs and kayaks. It is about 30 minutes to kayak round the island. The beginner windsurf is pretty easy to do. There are free group lessons for AI guests and private lesson to offer. We also used the Catamaran for $35 per hour. It was nice but the area allowed for sailing is rather restrictive.

Except the first impression of being cool and unhelpful, the staff at water sports centre are actually professional and friendly. There is however a side story about the policy for the use of the equipment. The Vilamendhoo website and the introductory leaflet handed to us by the Reception did not restrict the free use of windsurf and kayak to a certain time limit. The website and the leaflet however are very specific about other provisions, for example ½ bottle of champagne, ½ hour of group lessons for snorkelling / windsurfing / tennis, and day time use of tennis court. But for the use of windsurf and kayak, there was no specific time limit, so as the use of other sport centre facilities. A staff who has lost his name tag was very persistent that each villa (not even each guest) is entitled to one hour of free use of windsurf every day and any use exceeding this time limit, even there is no other guest asking to use it, requires the payment of $15 for an hour. He said it is not expensive. Yes, but it is principle and the AI is not by itself free. We refused to sign for the bill and even after clarified with the Reception the next day he was not readily co-operative. Otherwise, this staff is very good and I only imagine that the policy was not very well briefed and monitored by his seniors.

Snorkeling is in my opinion close to excellent. We may have been spoiled by the experience in Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru where we visited a few years ago. The coral quality is better outside the JBV areas on both north and south sides with the best coral outside the Water Sports Centre. There are good number of children sharks near water villa but we were considered lucky to have seen sharks of four feet or more and a turtle. So in terms of sea life it is not particularly great in Maldives standard. Bear in mind the reef outside water villa falls within NO snorkeling zone.

The food was very good and reflected a rather thoughtful catering program. Quality wise, however, I cannot say excellent. The service standard varied among staff, but generally very responsive when we took a more active part. The champagne which was complimentary for AI package was awful, sorry to say that. We have not finished the first bottle and left the second bottle untouched.

I have not used the spa but my wife liked it and used it again.

We often frequented the water villa area which is nice and quiet and spent a few dusk at the end of the water villa to enjoy the sunset. Bring a book.

In short, we recommend the resort particularly the following :

Jacuzzi Beach Villa in the north side between No. 197 – 212.
Advanced request for assigning a "table with view" in the restaurant.
Ocean Discovery excursion.
Whale shark excursion.
Use of water sports equipment. (try to book in advance)
Use of sports centre.
Taking group lessons.

We have already recommended to a few friends. Enjoy it.

Room Tip: For adults - Jacuzzi Beach Villa No. 197 - 212. For family - Beach Villa on the north side near No...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Victor K

Dear Victor K,

Thank you very much for staying in Vilmandhoo with your family.

It is great that you have given a very detail review of your recent holiday with us.

I am glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and already recommended to friends.
I would like to apologize to you for the welcoming to the island and we have already briefed to our front of the house team to ensure that all the guests are warm welcomed to the island with natural Maldivian charm and hospitality.

Regarding the issues you had with sports facilities, it is not our policy to have any restriction on AIP items but due to the limitation of equipment to each guest, we have to implement a little house rule to provide a fair chance to all the guests to make use of the sports facilities and items of AIP. However, it is not correct not to be flexible should any guest prefer to use items unlimited.

We have already discussed with Sports, Entertainment and Activities team and we will ensure the guests enjoy the maximum privilege of AIP.

For AIP we serve a bottle of PIPER 375 ML per guest stay and it is the first time I have received a negative complaint about the champagne. However, our F&B Manager will look into the matter so as with the service from the restaurant and food quality. I must admit that we have a very highly graded food that we serve to all our guests despite having many different nationality guests in house.

I have passed your wonderful remark to Vimal and Nazeel for their excellent job.
Victor K, once again, thank you so much for staying with us and hope to welcome you back to Vilamendhoo in a near future.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I stayed at this resort as a bucket list holiday of places to visit. The resort is excellent. 8/10. the food is very good allthough the desserts are a little bland. Views are stunning. Sting rays and sharks a plenty. i have the Water Villa which is adults only and a bonus. There was always space in the restaurants. The biggest issue i had was with the sloppy service. The room was mainly half cleaned not to a great standard. Towels were not left, mini bar not topped up, dust on surfaces and just generally sloppy. There is a lack of facilites so dont go unless you are a beach bum. some of the fixures are looking tired.
I would not go back as i have done it now but i would recommend.

Room Tip: Get the water Villa
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dodgym5
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear Dodgym5,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and it means a lot to Vilamendhoo Team
that you graded us high despite being short on some areas of service comparing to what you have expected.

Dodgym5, please be assured that we will do utmost to make sure the highlighted areas that you recommended to improve will be addressed immediately.

Thank you for recommending Vilamendhoo to everyone and if you ever change your mind and would like to visit in future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Mohamed Solah, Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamendhoo
Vakarufalhi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
Sun Island Resort
Sun Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Nalaguraidhoo Island

Been to Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!