Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa
Ocean Beach Inn(Hangnaameedhoo Island)
$61
$48
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Lily Beach Resort & Spa(Huvahandhoo Island)
$783
$309
$227
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Vakarufalhi Island Resort(Vakarufalhi Island)
$673
$248
$188
Priceline
3,677 results
All reviewsasian woknorth sidesunset barour waiterwhale sharkssunset cruisefishjacuzzi water villaroom boyvilamendhoo islandsea planemini barall inclusive packagehot rockocean discoverycurriesgarden villa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was our 4th trip to the maldives and our second visit to vilamedhoo.We upgraded to a jacuzzi beach villa and enjoyed using it late at night under the stars we were on the windy side of the island which we prefer as the sun is so hot we enjoyed the flight over on the new Dreamliner we usually upgrade to premium but decided not to on this trip and I was glad we didn't as the seats were comfortable and the whole cabin very roomy also the plane is so quiet .The staff are exceptional and remembered us from our previous visit which was lovely and gave a personal touch.i used the spa for a pedicure and this was overall a very relaxing experience with wonderful views over the sea where you could watch all the beautiful fish swimming around. Unfortunately this will be our last visit to the Maldives as Tui have pulled out and are no longer selling holidays there it was disappointing enough when they decided not to fly out from Manchester which meant a long journey to a gatwick for us and a stay in a hotel which all adds to the cost of an already expensive holiday.But on a positive note I would say to anyone thinking of going to defiantly do it as it is a most beautiful place and is the holiday of a lifetime

Room Tip: Go on website and look on map as beach is wider at some points so you get the sun all day but there is shade if you want it
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jane C
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear Jane C,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

It is such a pleasure to see our repeaters coming back to the “second home” and staying with us frequently.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Jacuzzi Beach Villa. These rooms are spacious, with wood floor, an iPod docking station, a private, walled-in outdoor area featuring a Jacuzzi for two “under the stars”, a wooden sundeck with chaise lounges, a shade umbrella, tropical plants and a beautiful view of the lagoon

It is such a pleasure to be part of this well trained, warm and friendly team and I am sure all of us are please to hear that we all did a fantastic job looking after you once more.

I am devastated to hear that this is your last trip to the Maldives However, if you need any help to book direct with the hotel, please contact us directly, we do offer repeaters privilege to our return guests who book direct with us. We also continue doing business with our UK partners including TUI group.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We loved Vilamendhoo. The cabin was perfect, the service excellent and the island itself paradise. The dives were fantastic. Surprisingly the food on offer at the buffet was of a very high standard and well above our expectation for a 'package all inclusive affair'. We had a great time. The only issue I found was the wine included in the all inclusive package was barely drinkable, other then that perfect.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank wisey29226

Dear Wisey29226,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

I am very pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. It is so important for us to find out how all of our guest experience is once you spend your holiday with us.

I will share your comment about the AIP wine to our F&B Manager Adam and I am sure he will look into that.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

The Positives

We visited Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa with friends during the last 2 weeks of February this year. Like the 2 other Maldivian Islands we have visited (Meeru and Kuredu), it is tranquil and beautiful. The garden area in the centre of the island is worth special mention. The staff were friendly and helpful. We were allotted The Funama Restaurant for our meals. The restaurant had a good variety of dishes to suit most tastes Our waiter Abdullah was great and nothing was too much trouble for him.

Our rooms were on the north side of the island which was a little on the windy side during the 2nd week of our stay.

My wife, who has a bad back, found the bed was too hard for her. However, reception quickly obliged by putting a memory foam topper on the bed, which made all the difference.
The snorkelling is great but be aware of the currents especially on the north side of the island.

The entertainment that was provided in the evening was good (especially "Whitesmoke" - a local group), although an earlier start would have been appreciated.

The Negatives

Although our stay on the island couldn't be faulted, there were a few niggles on the way out and return that I would like to mention.

The Maldives are a "long haul" destination. Thomson Airways only provided a basic main meal and a snack meal with tea or coffee there and back - anything else even soft drinks had to be paid for. There appeared to be only 3 toilets available for the entire economy class cabin resulting in queues at times.

When we got to the Maldivian Airways transfer lounge for the sea plane flight to the island we were asked to sign registration forms and waivers which basically relinquished any responsibility of the resort for any losses or injuries incurred whilst at the resort which seemed a little unwelcoming to say the least. We were also slightly delayed leaving the island as the Maldivian Airways flight back to Male airport was late arriving.

You may, by now, be wondering about the title I chose for this review. Sadly, Thomson and First choice are pulling out of holidays to this resort. They are also stopping their Dreamliner service from Gatwick to Male with effect from April 2014. We were told that Chinese holiday companies were prepared to pay more to come to the island. We were also told that it is likely that the Maldivian resort managers would be bringing in Chinese waiters at the island, presumably to overcome language problems. I fear, therefore that anyone planning a visit to this island will have to pay considerably more.

Room Tip: If you are travelling as 2 couples we would suggest room numbers 168 and 169
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Musicianwestlothian
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear MusicianWiltshire,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo!

Thank you very much for your feedback and I am delighted to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your holiday again with CCR.

Our professional and friendly team members are here to make each and every guests’ experience as comfortable and memorable as possible. I am glad that Abdulla was delivering a great service.

I am glad that we were able to sort out the bed issue that your wife had. We always advise our guests to contact us when they are in house so that we can look into the issue or problem and fix it as soon as possible.

Regarding your comment about waiver / release of indemnity is a formality that we have to follow for insurance purposes and I can assure to you and all of our guests we do take full responsibility of our guests as a responsible hotelier of any guest incident / accident occur during the holiday.

It is our policy that we make our guests feel like home with the mix of Maldivian Hospitality and Charm. We do have 17 different nationalities that work on the island together. I can confirm you that there is no plan to hire waiters or any job that we can locally fill from elsewhere.

We all are saddened as TUI will no longer be travelling to Maldives. However, please be advised that you will be able to book with us directly by contacting our reservations department.
Also note that we have newly contracted Tour Operators from UK.

MusicianWiltshire, with your thoughts and experience will definitely help us improving and developing in the best way our guests prefer and it will be a pleasure for us to take of you in future.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

To be brief and save time I will try and find the negative points, then you can see from these how trivial you have to be not to be impressed.

1. My main gripe and although I did know is the "all inclusive tag". I don't drink rum of any kind, and with most of the cocktail menu being rum based left me gin, vodka or tequila sunrise to exist on. My opinion on AI is that it should be exactly that, no rules, no tipping just like Sandals is/was. The mini bar in the room is next to useless with 4 small beers in it, the wine is awful, and you have to pay for just about everything else.

1a. Brits feel the need to put towels down at the pool. Thought only our German friends did that?

2. I didn't see a whale shark, what's that all about.

3. Nothing else to moan about.

It is a fantastic place, go see for yourself, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: 203 was our Villa. Nice patch of beach, always breezy and just close enough to food and drink place.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarkTC1964
Solah M, Director of Operation at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear MarkTC1964,

Sunny greetings from Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa!

Thank you very much for taking your time giving us the detail of your holiday experience.
Our aim is always to please all of our guests in every aspect of their holiday.

Please allow me to explain your disappointments, as follows:

To maintain competitive prices, an All Inclusive Plus package is an optional choice.
About 75% of our guests choose it.
The package includes unlimited beverage, all day snacks, excursions, water and land sports, fitness center, and much more.

Our All Inclusive Package is very much accepted by majority of our guests and regard as high standard and good value.

However, we will consider your experience in future should we change the AIP.

Regarding your comment about Whale Shark, it is wild, no one has control over and we don’t guarantee to any of our guest that we will be able to see it. We do and highlight at the briefing before the guest departure to the excursion that we might not see the Whale Sharks. I am sure this gives you one good reason to come back and try again as you know it is very common around this area.

I am very pleased that apart from what you have highlighted, you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcome you in a near future to stay with us.

Mohamed Solah, Director of Operation

Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was our 5th visit to the Maldives, the last three have been to Meeru.
We are so happy we chose Vilamendhoo, the island operates exceptionally well with friendly welcoming staff, creating a great environment, nothing is too much trouble. Would highly recommend.
We booked our accommodation & transfers direct with Vilamendhoo & our (direct) flights with BA. We were a little apprehensive when we arrived at Male but needn't have worried as we went straight to the Crown & Champa desk & then onto the TMA check in, it couldn't have gone any smoother. The seaplane departure lounge was comfortable & air conditioned. We had about a 15 minute wait then we were on our way, (to paradise) for our first ever seaplane transfer, it was a great experience. Landing in the middle of the Indian Ocean & stepping out onto a pontoon is quite surreal but all part of the experience. We then had a 5 minute boat ride to the island.
We were greeted at Vilamendhoo with a cold towel, a cocktail & very welcoming staff. We were taken straight to our beach villa, where our bed was decorated with fresh flowers & a bottle of bubbly. The beach villas are nicely decorated & very spacious. We were situated on the north side of the island, which was a little windy but a relief from the heat! We spent our first sunset on the Asian Wok decking, drinking All inc cocktails & being served by the very friendly, chatty staff.
Day 2 was the highlight of our holiday, whilst snorkelling along the amazing house reef (south side) I saw a turtle, a moray eel and many colourful fish. The house reef is sensational, you have to see it to believe it. Day 4 was my birthday & we moved to a JWV, it was huge & very private with steps leading to your own lagoon. WOW!! My bed was again decorated with fresh flowers, it was beautiful, the room boys are very attentive whilst being very discreet, a credit to the island.
We sat around the swimming pools, which were both lovely & you were never without a drink. We preferred the sunset pool for the scenery, we saw some amazing sunsets and on several days saw dolphins in the distance.
We ate in the Asian Wok & the Hot Rocks restaurant, both were equally delicious & would highly recommend. The staff in the buffet restaurant were very friendly, always smiling & worked extremely hard. On my birthday our waiter decorated the table with fresh flowers & bought me out a birthday cake, a lovely personal touch.
Overall we had an amazing holiday & can't wait to go back next year! Thank you Vila for making our holiday unforgettable.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen_john27
Solah M, Director of Operations at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Karen & John (Karen _John27),

Warm greetings from Vilamendhoo!
Thank you for your 4th visit to Crown and Champa Resorts and 5th Visit to the Maldives. It was a pleasure for all of us to see you both coming back to stay with one of our hotels once again.

As you have experienced, booking direct is very convenient that hotel assist with the seaplane reservation as well as hotel and meal plan booking. Guests who prefer to do this need to only book the flight to the Maldives and rest will be taken care of our friendly, efficient reservations team.

I am glad that you liked both room categories that you stayed. Every room category has its own charm and specialty. All the room boys work tirelessly to ensure that the room amenities are well kept and always meet the high expectation of our guests.

Buffet restaurants and A la Carte restaurants are very well known to our guests because of the hard working team and the consistent quality and I am gratified to know that you had a wonderful dining experience.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your special celebration of your birthday with us and I am glad that you swim with the turtles and enjoyed the colourful reef around the island. We are so blessed with such an amazing piece of nature.

Karen & John, it thrills me to learn that our repeaters like your selves, thoroughly enjoy our product and the service and we all really look forward to your 6th visit to us.

If you need any assistance, please contact me directly.

Sunny Regards,