“Fantastic two week holiday in paradise!”

Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilamendhoo
swansea
“Fantastic two week holiday in paradise!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We returned last night and writing this review has been a priority in order to let people know how fantastic it was!
We arrived at the resort via sea plane on July 22nd and were instantly impressed-the reception area is welcoming and decorated to a good standard which continued throughout the resort. We were given a refreshing drink and a short explanation of the resort, then taken to our beach villa. The room was so impressive, equipped with an outdoor rain shower and our own porch just steps from the sea. Jauharry was our waiter throughout our stay-he was fantastic, welcoming us with a smile at each meal and remembering our choice of drinks. We also really liked robin and his team at bonthi bar - we always felt relaxed and looked after there. I also would like to mention the lovely bartender who for most of our stay worked solely on the boashi pool bar before moving to bonthi bar, unfortunately cannot remember his name but I hope he is recognised for his friendliness by management.
We thoroughly enjoyed the free windsurfing lesson and try dive as part of the all inclusive package and I treated myself to a wonderful spa treatment at the spa over the water.
Do not hesitate to book this resort ! We hope to return in the future.
Rachel and lee Shumack

Ps the only negative parts of our holiday were the thomson flight outbound - the entertainment failed to work but we assumed it was not working throughout then realised after speaking to other people at the resort that some enjoyed the films etc . This is unacceptable on a 10.5 hour flight.
Also we did lose an iPhone at the resort which was not located by the time we left. Considering it is a tiny island we assumed it would be found and handed in but unfortunately this was not the case.

2 Thank Rachel S
VilamendhooIsland, Public Relations Manager at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Rachel J,

Thank you for your review on Vilamendhoo Island Resort and Spa.

We are pleased to hear you had a wonderful two week stay with us.

The feedback on our facilities, activities and staff is much appreciated.
Mentioning the staff by name makes it easier for management to identify staff that is doing a remarkable job without going unnoticed, thank you.

We re investigated finding your iPhone unfortunately it was not handed in or found.

We look forward to welcome you back to our tranquil shores soon.

Vilamendhoo Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wales
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were looking for a resort with an excellent house reef and so chose Vilamendhoo. We were certainly not disappointed! The amount and variety of fish and coral was excellent, particularly considering how close it is to the beach. I dove the reef as part of a PADI diving course and the life 10m below was easily as good as that I experienced on try dives off a boat on the Great Barrier Reef.

The resort was spotlessly clean in all areas, with a super service being given by everyone from our room boy to the team of gardeners who rake the sand each morning and tend the plants with great care.

I'm a pretty fussy eater with several food allergies and thus worried a little that I would struggle to find enough variety to eat. I needn't have worried at all, as the selection was more than adequate and I enjoyed (too many!) very full plates at every meal. My 'foodie' partner commented that all meat and fish was beautifully marinated and flavoured, so he was equally happy.

The only negative we encountered was on a resort organised snorkelling trip to find manta and turtles. We felt that there were simply too many people on the boats and when these numbers were multiplied by boats from other resorts, there was significant crowding of any manta and turtles found. As a result, they always swam off to seek safety but were followed by the swarm of screaming snorkelers who had been encouraged to jump into the water rather than slide in gently one at a time. As the super team at 'Eurodivers Vilamendhoo' frequently emphasised, it is vital to respect these creatures and give them the space they need. In comparison, while on a diving trip with Eurodivers, we encountered some manta so 10 of us slipped into the water quietly with our snorkels on and were soon surrounded by 20-30 manta who were curious to see what we were. They stayed with us for a good 20 minutes until we returned to our boat. This was the highlight of my trip and something I'll never forget.

The incredible Spa was also a big plus for me. Although the spa wasn't cheap, it was worth every penny due to the beautiful surroundings and fabulous staff.

Room Tip: We stayed on the north side which was breezy. Some rooms don't have much beach and what is ther...
2 Thank Welshali
VilamendhooIsland, Public Relations Manager at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Welshali,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Vilamendhoo Island Resort and Spa.

Your positive feedback is much appreciated and makes Management and team beam with pride.

Your feedback on the Manta and Turtle excursion is very helpful and we have taken this into consideration for all future excursions.

We looking forward to welcoming you back to our tranquil shores.

Kent
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our 10th visit to the Maldives and our 2nd Vilamendhoo . This island is paradise. Excellent food - ALL the staff were always pleasant and helpful. - I could go on and on praising this island it is all you could ever want and I just hope we can return soon. So sorry Thomson are pulling out of their direct flights this has always been a bonus going to the Maldives

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jan B,

We looking forward to welcoming you back for your third stay.

Aldridge
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just returned from our best ever holiday. This was our 7th visit to the Maldives and our 2nd to Vilamendhoo. We went back because it has the most wonderful house reef and if you don't snorkel already then please be brave and give it a go because the experience is one not to be missed. The whole holiday was made by the staff who to a man were so happy, friendly and made us so welcome. We were given the room we asked for and also special little treats as a repeat customers. The food was amazing and the variety was great. So sorry to read bad comments, if you want to live on McDonald's don't go to the Maldives.
What a pleasure to see girls now working on the island. Fakhera ? Our trainee, was a delight . All of the staff were a pleasure to be around and they all have a quick but gentle sence of humour that leaves a smile on your face. We need to go back to try to find out how the famous iced coffee is made. We wish Francis good luck in his move to Dubai, and a special thank you to Sumesh, Felix and all at the sunset bar for the way they looked after us.
Congratulations to the management of the resort for the way you look after your team, they all seem happy and this translates into the way they look after the guests.
We will be back again!!!
Elaine & Bob

Room Tip: If funds will allow book a jacuzzi villa or water villa
2 Thank Bob T
Dear Bob T,

Thank you for mentioning our staff by their names, it makes it easier for us to identify staff that is doing a remarkable job without going unnoticed.

We looking forward to welcoming you back for your third stay.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This island was exactly as we'd dreamed it would be.rooms were excellent. It was peaceful+ relaxing. The staff at the bonshi pool bar couldn't do enough for you. The island is fantastic, the food+drink excellent and the all inclusive system they have is a great idea (no wristbands!), as is the idea of tipping at the end of the trip (although some people still break this rule in order to get themselves preferential treatment at the main bar). I would avoid flying thomson if possible as they're not very well equipped for long haul. Ran out of water 4 hours into the flight. Entertainment system unreliable and poor, no duty free in stock+thomson staff seem to see themselves as air 'marshalls' as opposed to air 'hosts/hostesses'-very rude.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank throughmikeswindow
Dear throughmikeswindow,

Thank you for your taking the time out to write a review on Vilamendhoo Island Resort and Spa.

Your feedback on our service, facilities, food and staff has been appreciated.

We hope you return to our tranquil shores shortly.

London
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had very high expectations before going to Vilamendoo as I had read a lot of trip advisor reviews and based my resort choice on these. Words commonly used to describe the resort are “heaven on earth” & “paradise” Generally it was everything I expected, I had a great holiday but I’m not sure I’d return.

The Thomson flight was fine for a low cost carrier. We expected to pay for drinks, have fewer movie choices and we paid to sit together (which I’d recommend as it does sound like the split parties)

The arrival at the resort was very informative (thanks to Lou the Thompson rep). I had emailed the resort to request a detached villa and this request wasn’t met but I decided not to fuss and went with our allocated JBV on the south side. Our luggage wasn’t on the same sea plane which I wasn’t happy about as we couldn’t really do much till we received our luggage about an hr later (I’d recommending taking a change of clothes etc in your hand luggage in case this happens as we were told it could be anywhere between 1-6hrs away). When we were shown to our room the porter stood in our room expecting a tip which I’m all for giving if he had bought our luggage but as he simply walked us to our room I didn’t think it appropriate. It felt a bit forceful and awkward.

TBH our initial thoughts of the resort weren’t too positive. Our villa was right in front of a tree and we had no beach in front of our villa where the allocated deck chairs are (most of the other JBV’s did) and in the first minute my bf became a rubbish collector picking up a razor blade, thermos & water bottle that had washed on the bank in front of our villa. This obviously wasn’t the fault of the resort but happens everywhere in the Maldives as the islands are so small lots of rubbish finds its way into the sea. Maybe it was just bad luck as we didn’t see much rubbish after that…

We arrived at the end of July in Monsoon season. The first couple of days were overcast and there was about 3 hrs of rain on the second day but apart from that the weather was very good. Don’t expect blue sky’s everyday though, there’s a lot of cloud cover but we welcomed it as it was very hot. We also only saw two sunsets during our stay.

All the other reviews reiterate the positive points of the island and I agree with them mainly so I thought it’d be more helpful to tell you the things that we didn’t find so good.

I love food and was particularly looking forward to it before the trip but I’d say the food was average. There is a lot of variety and it is different everyday but you have to remember that it is a buffet and typically buffets are not as good as having an al carte meal. You fill your plates with loads of different foods which don’t really match ‘cos you want to try everything and frankly I found going to each meal a bit of a chore after the first couple of days because the meals are set times and most of the time I didn’t feel hungry but I’d always full my plate cos I wanted to get my money’s worth. There were always one or two good things from the buffet but you could tell the quality of the food wasn’t the greatest. Same with the drinks, the house wine is from California and served from a cask and after a while the 2 types of beer & 8 cocktails get a bit boring.

I know this is a low - medium cost resort so I didn’t expect the best and I’m happy with the value for money of this place I’m just letting you know that you get what you pay for!

Service – I can’t fault the service, the waiting staff/bar staff/reception/concierge did everything we requested and were friendly but I thought they were a bit flat. They are generally softly spoken which is quite different from our culture and it felt like they didn’t want to be there sometimes. It’s worth noting we were there during Ramadan so the fact they hadn’t eaten or drunk all day may have exacerbated this.

Also I don’t know if it was their job but I would’ve thought clearing the used drinks & emptying the rubbish from our room would’ve been standard. However our “room boy” only really seemed to make the bed and provide fresh towels if we need them.

I can’t fault the excellent spa, the water sports & fitness centre (friendly and helpful staff and good equipment), the house reef (teeming with life) and the manta ray & whale shark excursions as they were the highlights of the trip. It’s worth doing both the manta ray & whale shark excursions if you want to see wildlife. We considered only doing the whale shark one but did both in the end and actually found the manta ray one more rewarding. The rays are easier to follow and tend to hang around in clusters whereas the Whale Sharks, whilst being an awesome spectacle, are harder to follow and get close to.

Overall, it was a fun week and speaking as people who don’t regularly take package holidays to resorts we enjoyed ourselves but for us paradise or heaven on earth is a bit of a stretch.

6 Thank NZ1983
Dear NZ1983,

Your feedback on our service, facilities, food and staff has been appreciated.

We thank you for advising us of your experience, your input is valued and has been addressed with Management who will make sure that our standards stay of the highest quality.

We valued your review and hope you return to Vilamendhoo in the future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was our first time to the Maldives. With so many islands to choose from, Vilamendhoo was the winner for us because with two avid divers in our family we’d heard of the amazing house reef that Vilamendhoo had to offer and also the excellent reviews on TA. We’d booked 15 months in advance so had been looking forward to it for a very long time. And we weren’t disappointed.

Half the family had a JWV and the other a JBV on the north side of the island. The water is a lot calmer on the north side and is also away from the boat station and seaplane traffic located on the south. The water villa in my opinion was worth every penny. Walking out onto your own private deck and then down the steps into the warm, turquoise lagoon was bliss. Rooms were cleaned twice daily and the mini bar restocked with beer and soft drinks which were included in the AI package.

Weather
Please do not be put off by the so called ‘rainy reason’. We saw a few showers here and there but nothing lasted more than 10 minutes. In fact our first week when we arrived on the Monday we didn’t see a drop of rain until the following Sunday night.

The quality of the food was outstanding! I am a very fussy eater but I never went hungry. You’re in the Maldives so expect a lot of fish and curries (hot and mild). If that’s not to your taste, the hotel has a ‘snack menu’ offered in both the Sunset and Bonthi bars offering pizza, burgers, chips etc NOT included in the all inclusive package. A nice touch if you wanted a break from the buffet restaurant. There is also the Asian Wok, again not all inclusive but was a nice change and the food was very tasty.

Activities
There is so much to do here: kayaking, windsurfing, tennis, badminton, a games room etc. You really can’t complain that you’re bored on this island. There’s also the dive centre and of course the incredible house reef to snorkel around. The Staff v Guest football match was fantastic, such a good idea to get everyone involved.
There is entertainment every night, nothing wild but everyone had a good laugh. We loved the Maldivian night, disco and the Karaoke. The guys rely on audience participation so do try and have a go. We miss listening to the boyzone of Vilamendhoo – delightful singing boys lol.

Excursions
We picked two excursions during our stay – the turtle and manta trip and also the visit to the local island of Dhangethi. Dhangethi was nice to see how the local people live and was also a great chance to buy souvenirs. We saw both Manta’s and turtle’s thanks to the eagle eyes of the boat staff. We also had an added bonus of some dolphins on the way back. One sunset cruise is free to all inclusive guests which is a nice extra however beware of the punch – gross.

Spa
The spa is beautiful, located over the ocean. We opted for the hot stones massage, $69 instead of $99 for an hour if you upgrade your 15 minutes free massage. Very relaxing and the ladies were very professional.

A few tips

- Do not bring shoes! The only time I wore shoes was the journey to get to the island, the trip to Dhangethi and the journey home.

- I had read loads of reviews before going about the dress code being ‘relaxed’ so was worried about what to pack. The women were wearing maxi dresses and most people dress nicely for the evening. Yes it is very relaxed but I was expecting everyone to be in shorts and t shirts which wasn't the case. So don’t fret, wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

- Bring your own snorkelling equipment. It’s pretty expensive to hire and about $50 for a good quality snorkel and mask to buy in the shop.

I can’t write this review and not mention the staff. They are a real credit to the island. So many to mention so I hope I don’t forget anyone. To start, our waiter Nasheed in the Ahima restaurant was our assigned waiter for our 2 week stay. Very attentive to our needs and service was always with a smile. The chef’s in the Ahima restaurant were also very pleasant and always on queue if the food was running low. Thank you Walter on the specials station, delicious meals! The boys in the sunset bar, Naheed, Sinah, Ahmed and the rest all worked hard day and night serving us drinks. Robin and the team behind the Bonthi bar, my glass was never empty and it was a nice touch to interact with you all and get to know you personally. Also the boys serving in the Bonthi bar worked very hard and service was always quick. The guys that organised the entertainment in the evenings and also the boys in the water sports centre were all very friendly. Thank you to each and every member of staff that made our holiday memorable.

The fact that Thomson is pulling out of the Maldives is a real shame and I really hope it doesn’t mean that prices will become too expensive for people to go.

So a lengthy review but I cannot praise this resort enough. We would return in a heatbeat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Caff_wat
Dear Caff_wat,

Thank you for your review on Vilamendhoo Island Resort and Spa.

We happy you choose to have your family holiday at Vilamendhoo.

Your comments and feedback on our service, staff and facilities are appreciated. We strive to exceed guest expectation and we are proud to have met yours.

Thank you for mentioning our staff by their names, it makes it easier for management to identify staff that is doing a remarkable job without going unnoticed.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our tranquil shores.

Vilamendhoo Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamendhoo
Vakarufalhi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Mirihi
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island

Been to Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!