“A little bit of heaven”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilamendhoo
England
“A little bit of heaven”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed in August - and loved the place. Never having been to the Maldives before we weren't sure what to expect and this place was great for us. I'm sure we packed too much - you don't need any shoes other than sandals and flippers! Everything was relaxed and made to feel at home with what we thought was very good service and the Thomson was good too

Nature didn't behave for a few days and we had a couple of days wash-out. If you are happy reading a book, watching a bit of TV and generally relaxing then its not too bad......managed the gym a few times and we thought about excursions but didn't bother in the end. We enjoyed the spa and would recommend adding the extra time to the free massage

We were very happy to have upgraded to the jacuzzi beach (not water) villas which were lovely and put us on the better half of the island. One very small grumble was that the island has got two distinct halves - one has good beaches and is near the water villas and the "adult only" restaurant and bar. The other half as less beach (as we found on our one adverntourous kyack trip!!). There were a few occasions when families came down to the end we were staying in - which was understandable given their lack of beach in some areas - but a bit annoying at times as they disrupted almost perfect peace/quiet.

All in all we had a terrific holiday and would definitely return

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank triggeruk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 20, 2012

It is a paradise. We went there in September of 2011 for 2 weeks. The food was great. We stayed in a beach bangalow and just loved it. It is like having a piece of your own beach. Staff is very nice with excellent English skills. We chose a full board option, and I am glad we did since, in terms of money, it would not make sense to get an All Inclusive option unless you drink a lot:)) I want to say a special Thank You to Sylvia (diving instructor). I had a private lesson with her, and she helped me to defeat my fear of diving. She was very patient and professional.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
geneva, switzerland
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We returned last week from our eleventh trip to the Maldives (been to Vilamendhoo once before). It was definitely the best yet. All rooms are a few yards from the sea, with beaches all around (albeit with a bit of help from sand-bags). The food was excellent, personnel everywhere really friendly and helpful. We were a bit hesitant about swimming pools in the Maldives, but oh, did we quickly change our minds! The Boashi pool is just one more bit that's been added to this paradise.

Room Tip: All rooms are really near to the beach. North side was a cooler and breezier in december/january, bu...
3 Thank atoll42
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Just back from a week in Vilamendhoo (which we picked for its reef, diving school and other activities). Before getting onto useful tips, I’ll say that our stay went like clockwork, everything was fine, staff great, Jacuzzi hot, food excellent etc. There were a couple of (unprompted) nice touches on my other half’s birthday – well done Vilamendhoo. We would have given five stars, but it felt a little ‘busier’ than expected (though not at all in the bars and restaurants) and lacked the Indian Ocean ‘isolation’ the Maldives promises, with several islands nearby (complete with phone mast etc), so the view could be better. Not the resort management’s fault though!

So, here’s a few tips if you go: If you don’t have kids, DEFINITELY spend the extra on a JBV or JWV. The child-free end of the island is pretty much exactly that and the allocated over-18 only Ahima Restaurant (and Sunset Bar) seemed a whole lot quieter and had a more intimate layout than the Funama. The South-West corner of the island is the most sheltered in January (it seems) and had the best snorkelling with the easiest access. The North does have a bigger beach – but if you aren’t making giant sand sculptures, how much beach do you need? Take an early evening drink on the over-water veranda at the Asian Wok, before the diners arrive. The drinks are included in an AI package, but that seems to be a secret, so it’s quiet. Our JBV (214) was at the far end, close to the Ahima and just off the main path, making it more private (though it is set a little back from the beach), ideal. However, I’d be keen to go for a JWV next time. Fancy a special dinner on the beach? Don’t pay the $175 beach-dinner option, go to the Hot Rock ‘restaurant’ instead (it’s just a few tables on the beach). We were the only ones there when we went.

We went to Vilamendhoo to complete the Open Water section of our PADI course and this was a stroke of genius. The Euro Divers centre was friendly and professional (better than expected). The pre-visit arrangements were easy and our instructor, Satoki, was an absolute star – we couldn’t have hoped for anyone better. Thanks Satoki!

When we weren’t diving, we were snorkelling the house reef. As stated in many other reviews, it really is a case of wandering out from the beach and straight into the reef – which is teaming with life. Kept us amused, hour after hour. Perfect.

Every review says the food is excellent and it is. Moreover, for two awkward people (I don’t like fish and my other half is intolerant to lots of stuff) choice was never a problem. Something I was worried about before going.

Finally, a word on the tour operator, First Choice. Pay the extra £60 if you want to sit together on the plane or you WILL be seated separately it seems – even when there is space (as it proved on the way back for some unlucky couples). An outrageous addition on a ‘premium’ holiday; as is paying to upgrade to decent entertainment and a bottle of water on an 11 hour flight. They won’t be ‘First Choice’ next time, that’s for sure.

So, Vilamendhoo. Great resort, if a little densely populated.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sicarrie
peterborough
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We have just returned from our second visit to the resort, having been there shortly after it re-opened in 2010-11.
Our stay in general was magnificent and certainly most aspects of the holiday were first class.
One or two small points that you should be aware of when travelling to and staying on this Island would be :-

Be very carefull if you book with Hayes and Jarvis via Doha especially if the transfer time is reasonably short. Our flight to Doha was delayed landing at Doha due to air traffic control, hence we missed our flight to Malle resulting in an 8 hour delay and a whole day missed on the Island which cheesed us off immensley. A 7 hour stopover on the way back in Doha is also encountered in an airport where there is nothing to do. Go on direct flight to Malle where possible.

We booked our JBV in Jan 2010 only to find on arrival that there were none available and were downgraded to a Garden room for the first night of our stay. We then had the hassle of having to move everything the next day. This seemed a fairly regular occurance and is totally unacceptable and must be sorted out by the hotel !

My only other issue is with the hotels handling of same sex couples, especially male couples. We noticed a considerable increase in the number of these couples and whilst I am open minded enough to realize this is the way of the world the manner of their behaviour in front of other guests in public areas was both obscene and appaling.
We did comment about this to the management,
and would hope that they put some code of conduct in place ..ie keep it for the bedroom !!
All in all a wonderfull holiday..great food, great weather, met nice people, facilities fantastic and Lou the representative was very helpfull...See you next year !!

Room Tip: JBV are best
9 Thank bella009peterborough
Africa
Reviewed January 13, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Vilamendhoo having spent 11 nights including Christmas 2011.

At the outset let me say that if you have not visited the Maldives then Vilamendhoo may still be a very good option. It misses the mark for us on a few levels which I will discuss below. Before I do that let me say that our expectation were based on this being out fifth trip to the Maldives since 2007. We are divers so much of our holiday experience revolves around diving, snorkeling and the dive center.

The first issue is that none of our pre-arrival requests were met and from the re-action of the front desk we believe that they actually never attend to these requests. We arrived before the December rush and had hoped to at least get some of our requests attended to. We had requested a jacuzzi beach villa on the South East side of the island. We also requested a detached unit. The reason for the SE side request was I believed from looking at pictures of the island the best snorkeling would be on that side. On top of this the dive center is on the East side so we wanted convenience since I do multiple dives in a day. The detached is simply for privacy as the attached bathrooms leave nothing to the imagination and you are quite aware of your neighbors bathroom habits.

When I asked about our request we were told that none were available on the SE side for the first two days but we would be moved on day three and they would contact us.........still waiting. We also requested to upgrade from Full Board to AI plus but were surprised when the rate was different from that advertised on the web-site. On the web-site the difference was quoted as $48 pp per day but the wanted to charge us $58 pp per day. On principle I declined and I am glad I did. The average price for a cold drink and beer is $5. My wife and I used the gift shop and bought juice and cold drinks there for less and overall we got away with $41 per person per night including internet and laundry which are both excluded from AI plus. My advice is that unless you are on a mission to get drunk every day full board is sufficient.

The room itself is nicely appointed and everything was clean and worked. Contrary to other reviews we found the bed terribly hard and uncomfortable. The rooms being attached are a big issue since the bathrooms are open air and right next to each other separated by a 6 ft wall. The jacuzzi is cold water only despite the temperature showing 38deg my dive watch confirmed 28 deg. This is OK during the day but it would be nice to have hot water at night. The water was also not changed during our 11 night stay. I would suggest that the beach bungalows would be better value as a cold jacuzzi isn't worth the extra $ per night.

With regard to the food I have only one word that is BRILLIANT!!! We were seated at the Ahima restaurant and it is without doubt the best food we have had in the Maldives. The Christmas eve dinner was beyond all expectations. The waiters are pleasant and will interact with you as much or as little as you like.

The diving is average for the Maldives. Euro Divers is very well run but because they mix student with qualified divers there program is often repeated with us doing multiple dives on at least three dive sites during our stay. This is disappointing seeing that there are 45 dives sites in their area. Their boats are good and the boat crew very pleasant but we found them to eager to change out cylinders between dives with them harassing you as you get out the water before you have even sat down or gotten your wetsuit off. Some people expect this but I prefer to kit-up and do my own checks in my own time. Refreshments on two tank dives were adequate but not great. The snorkeling is not that great but not bad. I recommend Vilu Reef and Kuramathi for better snorkeling if thats what you are after.

All round we had a great holiday. On the last day we were once again disappointed by the attitude of the front desk. Three days prior to our check out we asked about a late check-out. Check-out time is 12 and our flight was scheduled for 3H15. On the day we enquired first we were told "yes it should be possible please check on the night before". When we did this it was no longer possible. Now I understand that for each outgoing guest there are inbound guests at that time of year. We, and a number of other guests, checked in at 6 pm the day we arrived so we are sure that some inbound guests would be arriving at the same time as we did.

One the day you check out the only option you have is to sit at the reception or at the bar since the bags are collected at 12 from your room. The incoming guests were greeted with cool drinks and towels but the outgoing got no attention whatsoever. We got the distinct feeling that once you have settled the bill they don't care anymore. On arrival at Mahe you no longer have access to their exclusive lounge but are unceremoniously dumped at the main terminal with nowhere to wait for the gates to open. We really thought that access to their lounge while you wait would not have been a lot to ask.

I have waited nearly three weeks before posting this as all my comments were left on their comment card before we left. So dar we have had no response or communication from the front desk or customer satisfaction department. As I said in my title CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR.

We have been to Full Moon, Kuredu, Vilu-Reef and Kuramathi before this. I would recommend any of those over this with Kuramathi being the best all round resort in my opinion.

Room Tip: Try get a detached room.
15 Thank Fusspilot
VilamendhooIsland, Manager at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your very constructive feedback and for taking your time to write this review.
We always try our best to fulfill requests however as JBV was running at full occupancy we were unable to give the requested room.
About the AIP, our apologies as this was our oversight and we will update the web site with the correct prices.
We will check with maintenance the water temperature in the Jacuzzi's.
Check out time is at 1200, but we always try to give a late check out. Since we are running on full occupancy, it was not possible to provide you a later check out. We also like to apologies for that
We are sorry to inform you that we don't provide the TMA lounge for departing guests, only for arriving guests.

We do hope that we might have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Yours Sincerely
Manchester
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We arrived at Vilamendhoo on the 3rd January, after a not so great flight with Thomson. What has happened to this company, cabin crew on outward flight verging on rude only seemed interested when selling you duty free.

Ignored the buzz for them for over an hour, but the crew back on the 11th were very good, smiley chatty and helpful like a different company.

Wont go over what everyone else seems to have said, good food nice beach villas, beach not so good.

Didnt realise it was such a big island in comparison to others we have been to.

Had to move beach villa as was to far from restaurant and bar as I have walking difficulties, (had emailed them regarding this).

Was in villa 230 first then 239, oh the constant noise from the boats and the sea planes every 30 minutes, the noisiest island to date.

Although the food was good , my OH said, I didnt get to sample much as i was taken ill, therefore we cut our trip short and came home a week early.

This is where Thomson shown their true colours, they charged us £1018 pounds for two return flights to Manchester even though the plane had 10 empty seats, like to know what they did with our seats the following week.

The rep on the island Lou, didnt really help that much except to give us the international number to call to book flights, she also said she arranged a wheelchair at the seaplane terminal, none, at male airport, none, we got our own, so thanks Lou.

Although I suppose not being well could influence my review i still think

the islands too big, too noisy and far to many children, couldnt believe how many families were there with 3 - 4 kids.

Sorry but i think its like upmarket Majorca meets the Maldives.

Not my cup of tea.

Room Tip: Avoid south side near jetty
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sxi1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamendhoo
Vakarufalhi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Mirihi
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island

Been to Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!