This place is absolutely amazing!! We stayed in a jacuzzi water villa and it was heaven on the earth! You have to take a sea plane to the island, which is pretty expensive, but there were great views on the way. I'm not sure why other reviewers said it was scary and bumpy- it wasn't at all for us. Smooth ride, but uncomfortable with how hot and stuffy they are. We were topping off our vacation to Hong Kong and Sri Lanka with 3 days in Maldives... long ways away from the United States!
Anyway, it was all worth it! White sands, clear blue water, and what fantastic accommodations! It was a dream come true! It's so much better in person that you see in the photos! And I'm a photographer!
You walk down a long deck to the villas... we had #315, which was more private than a lot of them. It was a huge villa! Super clean and new... amazing rain- shower head and jacuzzi was a plus- we kept ours at a cold temperature to cool off in. The mini bar was stocked with beer, wine, alcohol, snacks... but the all inclusive only included the beer, soda and water. The bed wasn't too comfy, but oh well. The deck had two reclining chairs and stairs that go down into the clear warm Indian ocean! The reef was 10 feet away and full of amazing coral and fish! We rented snorkeling equipment for $8 a day and only had to go down the stairs and swim out a few feet to see it all. At night, there is a spotlight that you can turn on outside the deck on the water that attracts little sharks and fish! Amazing!
The whale shark expedition was incredible. I swam with a 27 FOOT whale shark- 2 of them! It was the best experience of my entire life! For $40 a person, totally worth it! They are huge, but gentle creatures that only eat plankton. I was in complete awe.
The food was impressive. A buffet 3 times a day was included in the price... and it was fresh, gourmet and something for everyone! I'm vegan and my husband is pescatarian and there were still plenty of options for us! Fresh fruit all day, great veggie dishes, pasta, good salads and a TON of other options. They even had soy milk, which made me happy to go with my muesli in the morning. We had the same waiter the whole 3 days, who catered to our needs, brought us wine and cocktails, etc.
It takes a half hour to walk around the island. It is so beautiful. The palm trees, white sand and amazing blue water... I couldn't get enough. Three days wasn't long enough. We were so sad to leave. There were mostly Europeans staying there- and they easily get 30 days vacation- not like us Americans that are lucky to get two weeks... and have to fly 16 hours to get there. I'm still going to find a way to go back. I've been all over the world and this place has a special place in my heart. Love Vilamendhoo!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon, an excellent house reef and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Vilamendhoo, South Ari Atoll. It is 900 meters long by 250 meters wide, about 55 acres. Your seaplane transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 25 minute flight. 184 Rooms include 30 Jacuzzi water villas, 30 Jacuzzi beach villas, 111 beach villas and 13 garden rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel Vilamendhoo
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa Maldives
- Hotel Vilamendhoo Island