“Fantastic, would return in a heartbeat!”

Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilamendhoo
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Have just returned from a week in Vilamendhoo and it exceeded all our expectations. This was our first trip to the Maldives so perhaps we were more easily pleased than some althought we have been to many other destinations in the world. I can see why people go again and again and I really envy those who have such in depth knowledge of this beautiful place. It is impossible to describe the colours that you see there. The sea is so beautiful it really does take your breath away the first time you see it. We had fantastic weather, one afternoon and night of rain and the rest of the time was sunny and warm.
We had a JBV (201) which was great, lovely part of the beach but we got a really good deal on an upgrade to a JWV for the last 4 days which was just amazing. We didnt draw the curtains at night so that we could wake up to the turquoise sea every morning which is a vision that will stay with me forever.
The staff are brilliant, so friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. Our waiter, Hassan was wonderful, it was my 50th birthday while we were there and he decorated our table with flowers and my name and gave me a birthday cake at the end of our meal. We found the food great, I didnt notice flies particularly and no more than you get flies at home on a hot day around food! Plenty of variety and we were never bored with it or found it repetative. We booked the Asian Wok but cancelled it as we were so happy with the AI buffet.
The reef is amazing and we were quite unprepared for the thrill of what we saw when snorkeling. The variety of fish was breathtaking but we also saw octopus, swam along with a turtle and saw a huge manta around the Asian Wok.
The dive centre were great, not pushy but explained everything if you were a little unsure about what you wanted to do. I had the taster lesson which was great and my husband did a dive and really loved it.
It is very easy to make friends here as it just seems to relax people and everybody chats to each other. We spoke to more couples on this holiday than we have ever done and without exception, everybody loved it.
We had no noise issues, we did hear some banging when we visited the gift shop, coming from the garden rooms but other than that it was tranquil and quiet.
If I gave any advice at all it would be that if you want a beautiful part of the beach and this is very important to you, also if you want to ensure no screaming children (i have nothing against children, I have some but wouldnt want to be subjected to crying children on this sort of holiday) then it is probably worth paying a bit extra and going for a JBV, not for the jacuzzi but for the location and peace.

Room Tip: Go for a JBV if views and quiet are important
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank summerlove_8
Write a ReviewReviews (3,479)

Reviewed June 5, 2011

I will break it down insto sections so hopefully I won't forget anything! Our stay was from Monday 16th of May to Monday 30th of May.

Arrival

On arrival at Male we had a huge queue for passport control, not helped by the fact that Emirates didn't have any tourist cards so we had to find them and then wait. The airport is very warm and I think we ended up going to the Kuoni Rep, then the Kuoni Desk, then the CCR desk and then the TMA desk! We didn't get charged for excess baggage even though we were a few KG over including our hand luggage. We were swiftly put on an air conditioned bus and taken over to the seaplane terminal. When we arrived we were quickly bustled into the CCR lounge which was a very welcome relief, it was lovely and cool, lots of chairs, nice ice cold lemon towel given on arrival, complimentary tea/coffee and cold drinks. There was also an outside deck for smokers or people wanting to watch the planes taking off. We had a two hour wait for our seaplane although at times the screen said it would be 7 hours :shock: , all a bit up in the air. We absolutely loved the seaplane, it's hot and cramped but the views are spectacular. It didn't feel like 25 minutes before we were at Vila!

We completed all our forms at the seaplane lounge so no paperwork to complete on arrival at the island, we were handed another cold towel and an iced tea while we waited to be given our room. It had started raining while we were at Male but it was still very warm. Thank you to Lou the H&J rep who looked after us even though we were not H&J customers. We were given room 129 which was up near the asian wok and in one of the areas I had requested a few weeks before we travelled. We were walked to our room by a member of staff and our luggage arrived about 10 minutes later.

The Room

We loved the room, high ceilings (OH is tall and sometimes feels a bit hemmed in), HUGE bed - I could lay in the middle and only just touch him if he was laying on the other side :lol: . Furniture had lots of storage space but as others have said, a lack of hangers. Lots of cushions on the day bed, combination safe, fridge stocked with drinks, bedside tables, a desk....they look exactly like they do in the pictures. Air con was too cold at times :oops: , it took us a while to get it on the right setting for night time. Outside bathroom takes a bit of getting used to but was a lovely feature and his and hers sinks meant no fighting to clean teeth before bed! Our roomboy came in twice most days (unless we left the DND coconut out) and did little patterns with the bedsheets etc. The water vase on the decking was useful although I found it easier to stick my feet in it to wash them rather than use the ladle.

We were very lucky with our location, we were just a few steps from the asian wok and 'our' bit of beach was one of the widest on the SE side, we had full/dappled sun until about 3.30pm, even at high tide. The beach sweepers work tirelessly every day and ours would always chat to me about my diving and seeing Manta on the Housereef, they definitely deserve a few $ in my mind.

Food & Drink

Being in a beach villa we were in the Funama, own table from the first night and we really enjoyed the buffet selection, lots of choice and often replensihed during the course of the sitting. At the end of our first week the number of flies seemed to have doubled but within a day or two everything was being covered which solved a lot of the problem. The fish from the grill (normally white snapper) was fantastic, the chef and I got to know each other very well :oops: . Always lots of puddings although they were mostly cream rather cake based and ice cream unfortunately only appeared 2 or 3 times during our stay. Other than that there was always a great selection, the buffet tends to follow a theme in that there is normally a pasta, a rice, a couple of meat dishes, a curry etc but it varied every day. The Maldivian night was great, we loved the food especially!

We also ate at the Asian Wok, we picked a fantastic night for it as the sky was completely clear and I have never seen so many stars! We had a table outside and our waiter was patient, very friendly and quietly attentive. I loved the menus with the clip on torches :lol: . For a starter each, two mains, two lots of rice and a pudding it came to just under $100. We also had the pleasure of watching the baby sharks hunting so it was well worth the money in my mind. We also just had drinks there quite a few times, on our first night we were sitting outside and we had a 4-5ft Ray swim right out from under our table which was amazing.

I thought the choice of drinks was good, I know that on the AIP plan only restricted spirits are available but we never felt like we were missing out, we also had quite a lot of the cocktails of the day which are clearly shown on a sign in the Bonthi bar. Sometimes they were a little strong but actually a lot of the drinks were strong so I also asked for a small G&T. We never drank at the sunset bar as it was the other end of the island and we found it far too easy to have lunch/dinner and then chill out on the Bonthi deck. All of the bar staff are fantastic and some speak amazing english (especially the young guy with glasses, I think his name is Mandmood?) so take a few moments to chat with them. My OH one night left his brand new phone on a table outside and a lovely couple handed it in to reception for him, if you read this then thank you!

Excursions

There are a number of excursions available to book and the info is located in reception. On our first night on the island I booked myself in for the Manta trip on the following Sunday and the Whaleshark trip the week after that. The Whaleshark one especially does seem to get book quickly so I recommend doing that asap. We also did two sunset cruise trips with one being included in our AIP. Unfortunately we didn't see dolphins either time :cry: but we did see a number of flying fish which wew equally cool. The sunset from the boat with a glass of punch was lovely and it's not expensive even if you have to pay for it.

I arrived at reception promptly on the Sunday for my Manta trip, the boat was not full which was quite nice as there was room to move around. We headed off and encountered some rain but it was lovely and sunny at our destination. I was pleased to see that on the journey the guide handed out information about turtles and Manta and told us not to touch them or get too close. All of a sudden we were being told to get ready as the boat had come across a whaleshark! It's a bit of a mad rush for everyone to get in and the boat crew always help people to the edge. I managed to watch the shark go right under our boat and then I managed to swim behind him for a minute or so (unfortunately my camera used the wrong video setting so all you can see is a large black shape :roll: ). Then we all swam back to the boat and continued on before the crew spotted Manta so we were all jumping off again, then back to the boat, then jumping off again....it gets quite tiring! We came across a small group of Manta and were lucky to spend about 30 minutes with them, they came in very close as you will see in my videos. Then we were off to Turtle Reef...the current was quite strong here but after I got slightly seperated from the group a turtle surfaced right in front of me 8-) . If you get tired while swimming you simply put your hand up in the air and the boat comes and picks you up, simple.

Snorkeling & Diving

Both were FANTASTIC! The reef is so close to shore in places and there is a huge abundance of fish, if the sea is flat then you don't even have to get in the water, you can simply fish spot from any of the jetties! Please be careful snorkeling at low tide as you can get pushed about a bit. There was so much to see that I couldn't possibly list them all but they included - some larger white tip sharks, plenty of Octopus, a couple of turtles spotted while diving, lots of Moray Eels, Napoleon Wrasse, Blue Face Angels and I even came across a Manta on the house reef during my last dive :D . If you are not a confident snorkeler then please take the free lesson, the reef is so delicate and unfortunately there were a lot of people kicking it/standing on it :evil: . I snorkeled most of the time on the South side near the reef exit, I did venture to the North but found the visibility quite poor. I personally felt the coral was better at the water villa end on both sides but the fish were everywhere!

I did a total of 7 dives with Euro Divers including 2 to finish my Open Water qualification. Mike, the centre manager is a very nice guy and always takes the time to talk to people. I did two boat dives but on the second one the seas were rough and it put me off so I did my remaining dives on the house reef. There are boards up at the dive centre showing what dives they are doing in the morning and afternoon and you just need to put your name and box number down. All of the staff were great but a special mention to Satoki who was always grinning like he had lost the plot :lol: and Illy for showing me some cool stuff and helping my with my position for picture taking. The diving here isn't cheap but if you have enough dives you can go out in buddy teams on the reef with an unlimited dive pack which works out much better. Don't forget to leave a tip for the Dhoni and Compressor Boys who all work so hard.

Building Work/The Digger/Grumbles

There was a huge furore about this before we left but I can honestly say that hand on heart, we were not affected by either! Yes we could hear the digger sometimes - more so when the wind picked up but it's not right on the edge of the island, it is out at sea and most of the time I couldn't hear it over the waves lapping at the shore. We did hear some electric sawing a couple of times but this wasn't from the Garden Rooms, it seemed to be from vacant beach villas where I can only assume that they are trying to fix the shower drainage (the water spreads over the floor so be careful, it can be slippery). There were large boats docking to bring sandbags and materials to the island but I couldn't see them from outside our room and to be honest, I think some people were just making a big deal out of it. I felt more sorry for the poor guys who had to unload the boat rather than the fact I could see it from my dinner table. Some people we spoke to raised some genuine points, such as paths could have been behind the villas, not in front - fair point but some people just seemed to be desperate to find fault.....Ok so there is a TV in your room, well don't turn it on :roll: , the room descriptions on the website clearly say there are large TVs so why book?! As far a million seaplanes landing a day....the most I ever counted landing was 4 or 5, people have to get to the island! What you would rather they do, only send 2 a day and tough luck if you have to wait 8 hours in Male for other flights to arrive?...............I rest my case. Some people seem to be confusing personal preference with genuine complaints in my eyes.

Some areas of the island have minimal beach and it is a bit of a room lottery. I don't think I would be happy to pay all that money to get the NE corner, my suggestion would be that Vilamendhoo charge less for these rooms, that way people know what they are getting and it would mean the Island not having to pay out compensation (which I am sure that they are).

I did say on my comment form that the Island are not doing enough to protect the reef, I emailed them to that effect and have had a reply stating that they are currently printing their own magazine in 10 different languages which will contain information about the reef and that cards are being placed in the rooms on turndown, it's a good start.

Despite the Island stating that there is a dress code at dinner and that male guests were not to wear sleeveless tops but quite a few were which was a shame as most people made a reasonable effort, perhaps the Island can look at this?

My only other grumble is the other guests......After the Manta trip where the boat crew were constantly helping people in/out of the water, taking fins, holding cameras etc, I think only 3 guests left any sort of tip and I was quite shocked! The trip isn't expensive and $5 is about £3, are people really that tight?! I think I shamed someone from the sunset cruise into putting a tip in the box but I find it unbelievable that people can't spare a couple of dollars. It happened on both sunset cruises too...come on, you get one free of charge! I digress.

Conclusion!

We both loved it and we met some fantastic people - Hi Maz & Lee, Martin & Louisa and Sandra and Pete. We loved the staff, the beach, the food, the geckos in our bathroom, the snorkeling was amazing and the diving blew me away.

People have asked would we go back and the answer is yes, without a doubt BUT....will we go back...unlikely . I have looked at prices for next year and they are way over and above what we paid for this years trip, I assume this reflects the growing popularity but it's also putting Vilamendhoo into the same price category as some pretty spectacular islands and I am not sure if it cam compete. You also have the chance of being stuck on the NE side which wouldn't be worth in excess of £4k in my opinion. I will still keep my eyes out for a good deal as I would love to go back but I can't see us actively planning to return.

VIDEOS!!

I have a number of Videos on youtube, just search for Vilamendhoo and you will find them! Links to my pictures are also available on the Vila forum or you can PM me.

Did I forget anything? :lol:

Jody

11  Thank Jody2803
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We went to Vilamendhoo during the last 2 weeks of May and stayed in a jaccuzi beach villa (224) which was in a great position and about 15 paces from a beautiful private section of white sandy beach, including our individual sunbeds. Our room was very clean and well maintained by our room boy Ahmed.
The food was extremely good and varied although there were often flies around the open dishes. (Inevitable in the climate) We went to the Asian Wok restaurant and the foood was amazing, cooked individually by our personal chef who entertained us with his skills!
We went on a sunset cruise and saw glimpses of dolphins. The views and sea are picture postcard quality......and you may well overdose on them!
The whole experience of visiting the Maldives is well worth the expense, but we found the service and friendlines of the staff to be exceptional. They couldn't do enough for us and were genuinely polite, courteous and sociable. We went to the inter-departmental volley ball final which was very entertaining. Staff freely gave up their seats for visitors and provided us with refreshments.
The Thompson rep Lou was very nice and knowledgeable, and her welcome presentation told us just what we needed to know without the hard sell. A word of warning....if you consider taking part in the Staff v Visitors football match (which I did) the staff are all young, fit and play to win!! The game was played in very good spirit though.
All in all...a great holiday

8  Thank Steval75
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I agree with one of the other reviewers about expectations not being met. This was probably the most expensive per week holiday we have ever taken and also our first trip to the Maldives.

Having been to places like Aituataki in the Cook Islands I really thought this island would be truly paradise, perhaps we have been spoilt by some of the other places in the world we have been?! As everyone has said the house reef was indeed amazing and really is the highlight of the island. The food was pretty good and plentiful but after a week we had had enough of buffet food, the other thing to note aswell was that we were suprised at the lack of fresh fish, prawns etc but given the other food presented it was clear that some of the ingredients used were obviously cheaper (not cheaper nasty just cheaper in terms of serving things like chicken a lot!). As I said it was more than adequate and given you are in the middle of nowhere the food the chefs prepared was generally good. In contrast though the meal we paid for at the asian wok was lovely and definitely a step up but as I say this was paid for and no allowance is given if you want to eat in the other restaurant which is probably why only 2 other tables were taken the night we were there. Perhaps if they introduced some sort of allowance they would entice more diners here.

We stayed in a water villa which was truly fabulous and it was good to be able to bathe on your own balcony and fish watch in the evening after dinner. It is definitely worth going AI as it is pretty hot and you will want plenty of drinks. The service in the sunset bar was variable and trying to catch the waiters eye when my husband was away from the table taking photos was not easy and in many instances it appears I was ignored until he returned! We raised some of our comments about the service and the fact that on one evening there was very little dessert left on the buffet at 9.15pm and got what we perceived as lip service from the Manager - I guess when you are a captive audience its tough.

The 2 boat trips we took, whale shark and manta/turtles were both good, well run excursions and you do feel looked after by the staff who are very at home in the wate, particularly if you are not a strong swimmer. I really would recommend these.

The spa was also the other highlight and the hot stone massage I had was truly out of this world and probably the best I have ever had - this was worth every penny!

All round a nice holiday but unfortunately because of the cost and variable service I don't think it really lived up to the expectations set by other reviewers and the whole idea of a holiday in the maldives being truly outstanding!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank tigger_uk19
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stayed at Vilamendhoo during the last 2 weeks of May. We had such a wonderful time here, I would recommend this resort without hesitation.
The house reef is as good as all the reviews say, its truly fabulous.
We stayed in a Beach Villa which was in a great position. The food was extremely good and varied.
The Sunset bar and pool is probably my favourite area of the Island, the pool is gorgeous and while we were there, they had delivery of sun umbrellas so there now is shade around the pool. The beach around this area is beautiful, very deep with plenty of sun beds.
We had a treatment and the spa and this was very relaxing and enjoyable.
We saw lots of dolphins on our sunset cruise which was such a wonderful sight.
All in all this was probably one of the best holidays me and my husband have had and we have been to many places around the world.

18  Thank AimosT
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Got back Friday last week after a 2 week stay on Vilamendhoo. This was our 4th trip to the Maldives and I never thought I would ever be able to complain about the place but our experience at Vilamendhoo was not a good one. As people have said in previous reviews it is all about location on this island. Many of the problems that we experienced were not really anybodys fault but we could have been pre warned by Thomson about the building work and given the opportunity to change islands.
On our arrival the beach villas were overbooked and so we were “upgraded” to a water villa for the first 2 nights. Not an ideal start, we book a beach villa because we like to open our doors and sit on a beach.
Not really worth unpacking so lived out of our suitcases for the first 2 nights. I took a stroll around the island to have a look at where we could stay. It appears that if you want any beach area that gives a typical Maldives brochure picture you would want to be staying in one of the Jacuzzi beach villas and on the opposite side of the island to reception. I requested any room on the side of the island away from reception as this side gets sunshine all day and is generally quieter.
we were given a room between the asian wok and reception on the reception side of the island. I didn’t even unpack but returned to reception and asked if there were any other rooms available and was told that there were not. I expressed my wish to be moved to another room as one became available in a polite manner and returned to our room. Now to the reasons why. This part of the island is like the M25 with people walking up and down in front of your villa all day and night, you have divers exiting the water and dumping their wet dive gear all over your sunbed, even when there is a towel on it. To get anymore than 20 minutes sunshine you would have to move your sunbed into the middle of the path. And finally (as many people who we met will know) the JCB digger 200 yards off shore bang in front of our room dragging sand around to make a sandbank creaking and groaning from 07.00 hours till sometimes 22.00 hours every day really did rip the ar## out of our Maldivian paradise. We had to do something that nobody should have to do in the Maldives and that is sit around the pool.
The pool (not the sunset pool) is very large, clean and a total sun trap. Hardly anybody there and very comfy sunbeds. All was great till the work on the garden villa’s began and I could hear the hammering banging drilling and cutting of breeze blocks over my i[pod on full volume.
Now I am fully aware that this work must be carried out and that some people said that it wasn’t that bad, (they were not in a villa right by this or with a view of the JCB.) but having been to the Maldives on 3 previous occasions all these problems ruined our very expensive 2 weeks in paradise. If I had wanted an experience like this It would have been cheaper to build a time machine and travel back to the eighties and gone to Magaluf. I feel that Thomson need to take the blame for many of our problems and not Vilamendhoo, Thomson were aware of the building work apparently and did not inform us or offer us a discount. I have complained directly to their complaints department and am awaiting a reply.
One of the few things that did stop me from exploding whilst there was the fantastic staff. Waiters, room boy and bar staff all very very pleasant polite and ready with a smile. Other good points were the house reef, (probably the best I have ever snorkelled on and not far to go) The manta ray trip if you can get away from the people thrashing around like idiots was amazing.
In conclusion if we had not been to the Maldives before we would have probably loved it, but we have been before and it in no way came close to our previous visits.
I have included a few photographs of our stay, please take a look.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side away from reception.
5  Thank RevBagsta
Reviewed June 1, 2011

This was our 3rd visit to the Maldives
This was really the best ever, I would say beyond fantastic
We were in the beach villas which are fantastic but decided to upgrade to Water villas and although we were already having a fantastic time this really was the cherry on the cake.
The food was great,there was a fly problem but the management were dealing with this my husband cannot eat wheat flour so every day the chef would inform him what he could eat, the service from everyone was wonderful.
I would stay again and highly recommend this island to eveyone, It really is paradise and worth every penny, you really do get your moneys worth and more.
We went with Thomson and was really impressed with their service, We ugraded to premium and the service and seating were wonderful and my hsband had his best ever gluten free meal on any flight we have had top marks.
There was not one thing I can complain about, booking, flight, seaplane, accomodation food,reef and the thomson rep were a credit to all concerned

Room Tip: I think that all rooms were great
1  Thank platform
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamendhoo
Vakarufalhi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island

Been to Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!