Have just returned from a week in Vilamendhoo and it exceeded all our expectations. This was our first trip to the Maldives so perhaps we were more easily pleased than some althought we have been to many other destinations in the world. I can see why people go again and again and I really envy those who have such in depth knowledge of this beautiful place. It is impossible to describe the colours that you see there. The sea is so beautiful it really does take your breath away the first time you see it. We had fantastic weather, one afternoon and night of rain and the rest of the time was sunny and warm.
We had a JBV (201) which was great, lovely part of the beach but we got a really good deal on an upgrade to a JWV for the last 4 days which was just amazing. We didnt draw the curtains at night so that we could wake up to the turquoise sea every morning which is a vision that will stay with me forever.
The staff are brilliant, so friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. Our waiter, Hassan was wonderful, it was my 50th birthday while we were there and he decorated our table with flowers and my name and gave me a birthday cake at the end of our meal. We found the food great, I didnt notice flies particularly and no more than you get flies at home on a hot day around food! Plenty of variety and we were never bored with it or found it repetative. We booked the Asian Wok but cancelled it as we were so happy with the AI buffet.
The reef is amazing and we were quite unprepared for the thrill of what we saw when snorkeling. The variety of fish was breathtaking but we also saw octopus, swam along with a turtle and saw a huge manta around the Asian Wok.
The dive centre were great, not pushy but explained everything if you were a little unsure about what you wanted to do. I had the taster lesson which was great and my husband did a dive and really loved it.
It is very easy to make friends here as it just seems to relax people and everybody chats to each other. We spoke to more couples on this holiday than we have ever done and without exception, everybody loved it.
We had no noise issues, we did hear some banging when we visited the gift shop, coming from the garden rooms but other than that it was tranquil and quiet.
If I gave any advice at all it would be that if you want a beautiful part of the beach and this is very important to you, also if you want to ensure no screaming children (i have nothing against children, I have some but wouldnt want to be subjected to crying children on this sort of holiday) then it is probably worth paying a bit extra and going for a JBV, not for the jacuzzi but for the location and peace.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon, an excellent house reef and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Vilamendhoo, South Ari Atoll. It is 900 meters long by 250 meters wide, about 55 acres. Your seaplane transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 25 minute flight. 184 Rooms include 30 Jacuzzi water villas, 30 Jacuzzi beach villas, 111 beach villas and 13 garden rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel Vilamendhoo
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa Maldives
- Hotel Vilamendhoo Island