Stayed on vila from 23rd april -8th May ,
Travelled with Cosmos who were great and answered any questions .
Flew with Sri Lankan ,Direct flights and comfy . Inbound plane was better than out for in flight entertainment as slightly newer plane I think .
Had a great time from start to finish . management and staff extremely friendly . Big thanks to our waiter Abdullah and Hishma in the Funama restaurant and Hussan on the Bonthi Bar terrace . Not forgetting the egg man who did my scrambled eggs with chilli everyday :o)
The food was extremely good ,so much so that we didn't feel the need to try the Asian Wok . It did smell fantastic though as we sat on the terrace there some evenings before dinner for a G&T watching the sharks and rays . Try it its a must do .
The Beach Villa we had 231 was faultless and had a good view with nice bit of beach right outside . The best bit was it was very close to the reef . Nice to have the room so close to pop back inside to the mini-bar for frequent refreshments .The bathroom is amazing .
Not a huge amount of beach space on the island as so many villas but plenty of room at the sunset end . Unfortunately in my opinion spoilt by the view of the Water Villas being built on the best bit of the Island . So we rarely ventured far from our bit of beach .
The big draw for us was the Housereef .... The main reason for picking Vila .
It didn't disappoint . I preferred the South Reef ,West of the Jetty ,some preferred the North . Right from our room straight over the reef and West along past the sunset bar against the current then drift back to our room . Abundant fish and colourful coral . Swam along the reef early one morning with a 5' Moray . Found the Turtle a couple of times along here to , more than happy to swim along with you if you give her/him a little space .
I found the best time to snorkel was 7.30 - 10.00 Am as the sea was usually flat before the south west wind gets up .
Another must do is the Whaleshark and Manta trips . Put your name down in reception on the notice board as soon as you arrive as they do get booked up !
We were extremely lucky and swam with both :o) . What an experience that just about made the holiday for us .
There was a small amount of the aforementioned building work , ie . The garden rooms had been reduced to just outside walls but we didn't notice until someone told us .
Odd boatload of building materials .
An excavator was busy across on the lagoon creating a passage through but barely noticeable .
The service Jetty is quite busy anyway with dive dhoni's coming and going . Staff going back and forth to Dangethi . The odd boatload of stores for the island .
Plenty of seaplane traffic too .
Nothing impacted our holiday though ,just adding to what others have mentioned .
All in all we had a fantastic holiday and good value for money .
This was our 2nd Maldives Vacation as did Biyadhoo last May .
Would I go again .....probably not unless pricing remains as it is .. which i doubt .
For me too many rooms / too many people for the size of the Island as every available bit of coastline is taken up plus those Water Villas .
Why is there 2 swimming pools ? especially one right on the waters edge !
Is it just me ?
Slight moan over
There are so many other islands to see . The chance to swim with Whalesharks though may make me look again , and the reef really is great .
We did have a fantastic time .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort, surrounded by a beautiful lagoon, an excellent house reef and long stretches of white, sandy beach, is the only Resort on the island of Vilamendhoo, South Ari Atoll. It is 900 meters long by 250 meters wide, about 55 acres. Your seaplane transfer from Velana International Airport is a scenic, 25 minute flight. 184 Rooms include 30 Jacuzzi water villas, 30 Jacuzzi beach villas, 111 beach villas and 13 garden rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vilamendhoo Island Hotel Vilamendhoo
- Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa Maldives
- Hotel Vilamendhoo Island