“Couldn't fault it , exactly what we expected”

Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilamendhoo
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Stayed on vila from 23rd april -8th May ,
Travelled with Cosmos who were great and answered any questions .
Flew with Sri Lankan ,Direct flights and comfy . Inbound plane was better than out for in flight entertainment as slightly newer plane I think .

Vilamendhoo .

Had a great time from start to finish . management and staff extremely friendly . Big thanks to our waiter Abdullah and Hishma in the Funama restaurant and Hussan on the Bonthi Bar terrace . Not forgetting the egg man who did my scrambled eggs with chilli everyday :o)

The food was extremely good ,so much so that we didn't feel the need to try the Asian Wok . It did smell fantastic though as we sat on the terrace there some evenings before dinner for a G&T watching the sharks and rays . Try it its a must do .

The Beach Villa we had 231 was faultless and had a good view with nice bit of beach right outside . The best bit was it was very close to the reef . Nice to have the room so close to pop back inside to the mini-bar for frequent refreshments .The bathroom is amazing .

Not a huge amount of beach space on the island as so many villas but plenty of room at the sunset end . Unfortunately in my opinion spoilt by the view of the Water Villas being built on the best bit of the Island . So we rarely ventured far from our bit of beach .

The big draw for us was the Housereef .... The main reason for picking Vila .
It didn't disappoint . I preferred the South Reef ,West of the Jetty ,some preferred the North . Right from our room straight over the reef and West along past the sunset bar against the current then drift back to our room . Abundant fish and colourful coral . Swam along the reef early one morning with a 5' Moray . Found the Turtle a couple of times along here to , more than happy to swim along with you if you give her/him a little space .

I found the best time to snorkel was 7.30 - 10.00 Am as the sea was usually flat before the south west wind gets up .

Another must do is the Whaleshark and Manta trips . Put your name down in reception on the notice board as soon as you arrive as they do get booked up !
We were extremely lucky and swam with both :o) . What an experience that just about made the holiday for us .

There was a small amount of the aforementioned building work , ie . The garden rooms had been reduced to just outside walls but we didn't notice until someone told us .
Odd boatload of building materials .
An excavator was busy across on the lagoon creating a passage through but barely noticeable .
The service Jetty is quite busy anyway with dive dhoni's coming and going . Staff going back and forth to Dangethi . The odd boatload of stores for the island .

Plenty of seaplane traffic too .

Nothing impacted our holiday though ,just adding to what others have mentioned .

All in all we had a fantastic holiday and good value for money .
This was our 2nd Maldives Vacation as did Biyadhoo last May .

Would I go again .....probably not unless pricing remains as it is .. which i doubt .
For me too many rooms / too many people for the size of the Island as every available bit of coastline is taken up plus those Water Villas .
Why is there 2 swimming pools ? especially one right on the waters edge !
Is it just me ?
Slight moan over
There are so many other islands to see . The chance to swim with Whalesharks though may make me look again , and the reef really is great .
We did have a fantastic time .

2  Thank andysSuffolk
There are newer reviews for Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 14, 2011

This holiday was a 'once in a lifetime' holiday for my Husbands' 50th b'day. We went 1 - 11 May and booked a garden villa as they only had these or JWV that were too expensive. A couple of times before we went I e-mailed to see if any beach villas were available but always told they were full. On 29 March I saw a report on the Vila web forum about building work and noise so went in to First Choice and they rang Hayes & Jarvis who said the only work was a beach hut being built by the staff quarters and as there was no heavy machinery being used it wouldn't be a problem. The garden villas are by the staff quarters so I asked First Choice to contact Vila directly when I read more news a couple of weeks later. Corinne Frohlich (asst sales manager) replied saying "I can reassure you we don't have any building works on Vilamendhoo" (this was dated 15/04/11). This was true at the time but works had been planned.

When we arrived on 2 May the TUI rep, Lou Vassie, told us that, "because you come from Dorset (?!) and you have a birthday on this holiday, you have been up-graded to a beach villa" we were reallly happy and were put in 102 (2nd closest to all the building work!) not being any the wiser at first. The room was lovely and we un-packed. Later that day we went to have a look at the garden villas to see they were being pulled down so we couldn't have had one anyway! I went to see Corinne the next day and showed her the e-mail she sent to First Choice, all she said was she had been on holiday and only returned on the 1st May the day the work started. I said it must have been planned but she said the Management had decided to put in outside bathrooms as some brochures say the rooms have them and had only decided that day - a bit odd as they needed to get materials etc there!

I made an official complaint to Lou the next day and she said the work had been planned for weeks but didn't know exactly when. She said she was in a garden room with the pro-divers and my husband said that we are guests not staff and she said she was a "vip staff"!

At no time did anyone apologise for the lies or offer to move us to a room away from all the noise. I had to ask myself and eventually we got moved on day 5 to 158 where you can still hear the noise a little but you can't hear the sea planes at 6am or the music from the disco whis extremely loud and finishes at 1am, not what you expect on a Maldive Island.

I e-mailed First Choice whilst we were there to tell them and they have already started investigating and I am sending in an official complaint letter and photos and video clips with lots of noise so they can't be under any illusion!

We wanted a peacefull holiday and had more noise than last year in Faliraki (beginning of the season) which really isn't acceptable. If everyone had told the truth about building work we would have been offered a different island or destination.

All said, we had lovely weather and saw some amazing fish and the seaplane transfer is well worth it. We didn't like all the flies on the food and thought they could have covered the food over.

We won't be going back to the Maldives as so far to go so it was disapointing that we have so many bad memories.

If anyonw would like to see the video clips let me know.

5  Thank durdledoor
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Just back from a week at Vilamendhoo - thank goodness it was only a week! A number of the garden villas are being refurbished and the entire week we were there there were boats offloading building materials - cement, bricks, wood, pipes, while one boat was offloading another was waiting off shore. We were booked in a Beach Villa on AIP and were given BV 241 - in my opinion the worst position on the island - right next to the service jetty, in front of the diving school and next to the restaurant! We went to the Maldives for a relaxing holiday in a beautiful setting - not to be next to a service jetty with boats full of building materials being offloaded constantly - one of the ropes from the supplies boat was also tied around the palm tree right next to our sunbeds - no chance of sunbathing there then! We also had full view of this from our table in the restaurant. Also on the first full day we were there another boat had come in which supplies diesel or oil to the island and that took a full 24 hours to pump the diesel, was very noisy and the smell of diesel was overpowering. We had requested a room change away from there and 2 days later were given BV232 which we thought was better but by then the building supplies boats had arrived and one was positioned just in front of our villa - not the view I was looking forward to! Unfortunately these boats were offloading / waiting to offload for the entire week we were there, and were still there when we left. The garden villas are being refurbished, in fact some are partially demolished. We did complain to our tour rep who took our complaint to management who offered us a voucher for the Asian Wok or $100 off our room bill. I think management just assume that people will not complain and will only do something if they do - there was no apology or any contact from them when the building supplies first started to be offloaded and as soon as we moved out of that BV someone else was moved in. We feel that First Choice should also have informed us in advance that there were building works taking place and given us the option of changing to an alternative island - we would never have gone there had we known about this, we have filed an official complaint with them. This really spoiled our holiday - we had high expectations based on our previous visits to the Maldives. The island is also not that big and every bit of available space has been used, there are 2 sunbeds in front of each villa so you can't actually go and sit yourself anywhere as you would be encroaching on someone else's space. The beach by the water villas is the largest and there are some spare sunbeds there but only a few palm trees for shade so it gets red hot. We preferred the Boashi Bar Pool as it was very secluded with lots of palm trees around it and loads of fruit bats! There were not many children so it wasnt noisy and the children's playground next to it has not been built yet so it could be less peaceful when that is done, but it suited us. In my opinion the best part of the island for a villa is towards the Asian Wok - far from the jetties on the south side and down as far as about 160 on the north side. The Asian Wok is also the best place to watch the sunset as you see it dip down behind the palm trees and the effect is lovely - preferable to watching it dip down behind the rooftops of the water villas!
The food was not that great, usually luke warm at best and some very strange soup concoctions - wild berry and red wine soup; toasted semolina soup - to name just a couple, I did get tired of grilled fish and rice and although they have little burners next to the buffet food there were still lots of flies around on the food. The All Inclusive drinks are a waste of time - you can only have Beer, Gin, Rum, Vodka, Whisky and House Wine. In your minibar the only alcohol that is included is the beer. The AI Cocktail of the Day is usually undrinkable. There is also an overbooking problem so some people are having to change rooms at various times.
I can't believe I have come home from the Maldives feeling so unhappy and disappointed, a lot of money spent on a dream holiday that turned out to be not that special.

Room Tip: As far away from the jetties as possible!
20  Thank noordwyk
VilamendhooIsland, Manager at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback and we are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your holiday with us.
We do try our very best when it comes to offloading items to the resort to minimize the disturbance to our guests. However the off loading of such items like food and beverages, diesel and other items is a must for us and can only be done by boat. As for the comments about food we are constantly changing our menus to better suit our international traveler and we have taken action about the serving temperatures.
Once again we thank you for your feedback as this valuable information will let us better sever our guests in the future.

Reviewed May 10, 2011

We have just returned from our third trip to the Maldives and our first visit to Vilamendhoo. Overall, we had a wonderful holiday and would definitely return to the island.

Vilamendhoo’s dedicated and new sea plane lounge in Male is a lovely addition. Air conditioned, free Wi-Fi and you can help yourself to complimentary hot and cold beverages while you wait, which is much needed after a long international flight.

We booked a detached beach villa through Hayes & Jarvis and did contact the island four weeks before we arrived to request one of six or seven different villas that we were told had the best locations. Upon arrival we did not get any of the rooms we requested and also found out that we were staying in a semi-detached beach villa.

We were initially disappointed but having arrived at our villa, passing several others en route, we were really happy with our location. We stayed in 181 and although this was semi-detached we couldn’t hear our neighbours and it felt private.

We had a lovely bit of beach right in front of our villa and I have to admit after walking around the island a few times, we felt really lucky to have such a good spot, particularly (as some previous reviews have suggested) as there are other beach villas which either lack much beach or have sea walls right next to them. If we were put in one of these villas, we really would not have been happy. The jacuzzi beach villas all seemed to have good beach areas, however.

The interior of our villa was lovely and kept very clean. The only little gripe was that the bed was rather hard and the pillows were rather cheap, but that is just us. The shower was lovely and powerful too.

Some areas of the island do have rather coarse sand and this is the first time we have chosen to wear flip flops in the Maldives. Obviously this isn’t a major issue, but I think the island could do with investing in some more sand in some areas.

There was some work still being carried out, although all of the main refurbishment has been completed. When we arrived there were still Garden Villas being used, however, by the end of our stay these were being demolished. It wouldn’t be right to say that the island was completely finished but it is most of the way there and the final building work won’t have affected too many people.

The food was very good with plenty of choice for lunch and dinner. From speaking with hotel management, the chef does a marvellous job with very little budget. As we were staying in a beach villa we ate in the Funama restaurant. Ahmed was our waiter for the duration of our stay and was brilliant. It was my husband’s birthday while we were away and Ahmed allocated us a private table overlooking the beach, which was decorated with a message and some beautiful flowers. It really was a lovely touch and far exceeded my expectations.

We were on a full board package and decided not to upgrade to all inclusive as we like to have cocktails while we’re away and didn’t want to be restricted as to what we could and couldn’t drink. For us, this was the best option. We could have what we wanted and it worked out to more or less the same price as it would have been to upgrade.

The two island bars were very good and the barmen very happy to help. Where they didn’t know a drink or cocktail, they were happy to try and make you one and to continue tweaking the contents until you got what you wanted! The strawberry milkshake and iced coffees were excellent, too.

One note of caution (that we didn’t directly experience ourselves but know some couples were affected by) is overbooking. We spoke to a number of couples who were asked to transfer to another island for one day, or who were lucky enough to have been upgraded to a higher villa class. Personally I think there is no excuse for overbooking and I can completely understand why many people were annoyed at the disruption this caused.

We went on the whale shark excursion and the manta and turtle excursion and were lucky to see all three. A fantastic experience and certainly something neither of us will forget. The guides and boat crew are fantastic and really get you excited about what you are going to see.

The house reef is wonderful! By far the best we have experienced in the Maldives. We saw everything from octopus and squid to lion and porcupine fish. We also bumped into Bruno (the famous Vila titan trigger fish) a few times! There are channels marked with buoys for you to access the reef so you don’t cut yourself on the coral (and most important of all so that you do not damage it). We got really cross a couple of times, when we saw people standing on the coral! If I had have been swimming near them I would have told them to get off. So selfish and disrespectful and I just hope that this is not a common occurrence.

It is worth noting that Vilamendhoo is a ‘child-friendly’ island (although children are only allowed to stay in the beach villas, which means they can only eat at the Funama restaurant). There were several children there during our stay, which is something we weren’t used to in the Maldives. If we were to return we would probably stay in a jacuzzi beach villa, due to the peaceful restaurant and better beach areas.

Overall we had a fabulous time. It’s a really good island and genuinely seems to be trying hard to please its customers. We would recommend it but with the caveat that if you are staying in a beach villa it’s a bit more ‘luck of the draw’ as to how good a spot you’ll get (and there were some locations we would have been unhappy with). That said, if you’ve booked a jacuzzi beach or water villa then you should be very happy with your stay.

8  Thank clarehelen23
VilamendhooIsland, Manager at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2011

Thank you for posting your report on Trip Advisor and sharing your experience at Vilamendhoo with others. Good to hear that you liked your Beach Villa. We will tell our Staff about your report. We sincerely hope to welcome you back as a repeat guest.

Reviewed May 10, 2011

Vilamendhoo was absolutely amazing! We chose the island for our honeymoon after months of deliberating and choosing between about six different tropical diving locations. We ended up with the most perfect honeymoon ever! Mind you, not everyone on the island is honeymooning - there was a good combination of families and couples of all ages, but we still had plenty of privacy and time to ourselves. We had beach villa 236 and loved the beach out front and the easy access to the restaurant and adult pool on the sunset side of the island.

The highlight of our ten day stay was doing our advanced diving course with Euro Divers. All of the instructors were great, but we especially enjoyed diving with Oliver. What a place to dive - every site we went to was outstanding and we tried new things like night diving and shipwrecks. We will definitely return for the diving and Euro Divers definitely sets the standard in quality of staff and equipment.

Even for non-divers, the snorkeling off right off the island is spectacular. What a treat to swim out 30 seconds to the spectacular house reef. We also really enjoyed our kayak trip around the island. If you're active, there are plenty of activities for you, and if you just like to lay on the beach, sunning on the beach outside of your villa or at the adult end of the island ordering cocktails provides the relaxing island experience. Spending the evening watching the sunset from the adult-only pool can't be beat. I had three to-die-for massages at the spa. I loved the hot stone massage while watching schools of fish swim beneath the glass floor in the spa.

Perhaps the most important criteria when we choose a hotel is the quality of the food. We were not disappointed. The variety offered on the buffet every night was deeply satisfying - there were fresh salads and vegetables and a good variety of meat and themes. The wait staff and chefs were super friendly and we relished our meal times.

The new remodeling of the island has a great style - from the outdoor bathrooms to the modern furniture at the bars and around the pool. Everything feels fresh and plush. All of the service we received was excellent. The only feedback that I even had after ten days was to add more variety to the daily cocktails. We LOVED our stay and can't wait to return - we've already started recruiting friends for a trip next year! Thank you!

Room Tip: Email in advance! Sunset side if you want beach.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gringa220
VilamendhooIsland, Manager at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Thank you for posting your report on Trip Advisor and sharing your experience at Vilamendhoo with others. The diving and snorkeling here is one of the best in the whole Maldives, we are glad you enjoyed that and we will tell Olive about your report. Also the massages are fantastic, Duniye Spa takes great care of our Guests. Good knowing you enjoys the meals; the chefs to a great job prepare it. The whole Vilamendhoo Team thanks you profoundly for choosing to be our guests.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

Perfect island - we stayed in the water bungalow - defintiely pay the extra for these if you can, they are just amazing and completely private - very romantic. To step from your bungalow into the crystal clear waters to snorkle is simply amazing, no where else on earth like it.

Staff were great, especially the restaurant staff. Great selection everyday in the all inclusive buffet restautants, both my husband and I can be a bit fussy, but there was so much choice, accomodating everyone's tastes.

Snorkling is just out of this world - better than many diving trips (says my husband) - gets quite addictive (this from someone who has not done too much snorkling before)! Did the turtle and mataray trip - saw both!

The island had practically finished its refurb when we went, just small finishing touches around the island being made, rooms finished to imaculate standard.

Room Tip: Choose water bungalow
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DustyManchester

Thank you very much for your report and feedback. Great to hear that you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the snorkeling and the meals in the buffet restaurant.
The whole Vilamendhoo Team thanks you profoundly for choosing to be our guests.

Reviewed May 8, 2011

Just returned from 15 nights in Vilamendhoo, we stayed in a JWV which was lovely not to far along so not far from beach, bar & restaurant. Everything was very clean and the two guys that cleaned the room during our stay were lovely, as were all the staff. This is our fifth visit to the Maldives and some friends recommended this island to us for the reef and we were not disappointed as it was amazing!

The island itself was the biggest we have visited and I do prefer smaller ones as I think you do loose some of the special magic of the Maldives in larger islands. Having said that we had a great holiday but were glad that we had booked the JWV as this end of the island was quieter, as we arrived during the easter break we were surprised to see so many children, not that we don't like them as we have our own & grandchildren but wouldn't have wanted to be in the middle of two families as we enjoy our peace & quiet, which is one of the reasons we come to these islands.

Restaurant, Bar & pool at our end of the island were lovely would have liked the restaurant setting more if it had been built over the edge of the sea as in Veligandu, and also there are NO Parasols anywhere which they could do with around the pool as there is no shade there. We sat on the beach area under the trees, and as there is a lovely breeze on that end of the island we sat out more often than usual...but as I'm a redhead did unfortunately get burnt.

The food was very good lots to choose from but my husband wanted more meat curries as he doesn't eat fish ....but I do and it was all great...
Only big problem was the flies!! at breakfast and lunch never seen this in the Maldives before and we were told they were dealing with it and it did seem to get better towards the end of our holiday but at the beginning wasn't good!!!

Would I recomment this island ...Yes...but if you haven't children and can affford it, I would also recomment JBV or JWV...or research & request which beach villa you would like as some were better than others....and you can use the pool, bar & beach near the JWV if you haven't got children and just dine at the larger restaurant, which was very busy when we first arrived but did get quieter on our second week

If it's your first visit to the Maldives you will love it....if like us you have been a few times, you tend to compare to others and Veligandu is still my favourite....beautiful island ...fantastic food ...great restaurant, pool and beach area's.....you tend to take things from each island ...and the reef here was GREAT!! and where ever you go the Maldivian people are always fantastic. Anyone going say Hi to Long Mazin for us he works at the watersports area you can't miss him as he's 6ft 4ins..unusually tall for a Maldiviian lad ...he's lovely and the brother of a friend of ours...so love from Bobbie & Steve XX

3  Thank Lawrence5
VilamendhooIsland, Manager at Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2011

Thank you for posting your report on Trip Advisor and sharing your experience at Vilamendhoo with others. Great to hear that you had a nice holiday. We will tell Mazin about your report
We look forward to welcoming you back as a repeat guest
The whole Vilamendhoo Team thanks you profoundly for choosing to be our guests.
Warm Regards, your Vilamendhoo Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilamendhoo
Vakarufalhi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
Sun Island Resort
Sun Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Nalaguraidhoo Island

Been to Vilamendhoo Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!