“freshest tasting fish ever”
Review of Fins Restaurant

Fins Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Fairlie
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This small restaurant is just south of Fairlie on the coast Road to West Kilbride and has a shop as well as the restaurant. Probably came in the wrong entrance and ended up parking around the back but a short pleasant stroll takes you to the conservatory style entrance where there are a few tables as well as through into the main dining room where there are only a half dozen tables. The waitress explained that they didn't have a license for alcohol but the adjacent shop sold wines and beers, so a nice chilled bottle was procured. This is much more reasonable than paying twice as much as most restaurants. The waitress was very friendly and efficient and the food superb. A complimentary bottle of water was provided and the Cod in breadcrumbs with hand cut chips was well presented and absolutely fabulous. This is the best fish I have tasted for years. My wife's lemon sole with vegetables and lemon butter was also first class, the service was excellent and the bill was around £30 with the wine extra. A lovely place to eat and we will be back.

2  Thank David T
Lisa O, Manager at Fins Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thankyou very much for you lovely review.
We hope to see you back very soon ( through whatever door you like ) .

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Great value for money and excellent cooking.
Second visit recently and could happily eat my way through the whole menu. Wine cooler provided without asking for our own wine, with service very good.

Thankyou for your 5* review

we look forward to seeing you on your 3rd visit

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Quality of food was first class and cooked to perfection. Will get back to why only 4 stars later.
We had booked this restaurant well in advance and were excited about our visit.
Before going into detail must mention that we had visited this restaurant many times in the distant past and loved it, then of course it closed for a while.
For our starters we had the platter along with oysters and it was superb. We loved everything that was served up to us and could not wait for the mains to arrive.
Again we were not disappointed and loved all the food. Will not go into to detail as to what we had because judging by what those around us had, everyone seemed very happy with what they were eating and we were no different. So from a food point of view our visit was superb and was worthy of 5*
Now to why 4* and not 5*
Nothing to do with the food which was superb.
As previously mentioned, we booked well in advance. On arrival we mentioned our reservation and were simply told to sit wherever we liked. No problem to us but certainly not professional.
We had noticed on their website that it was byob and when we asked should we take our wine to the table the reply was yes if you like and I will try and get you some glasses. Again not very professional and no offer of an ice bucket.
After our starter, which included shellfish, we had to ask for a finger bowl or wipes which really should have been offered as a matter of course.
Then came time for the bill only to find that drink had been added to our bill that we had not ordered. Again not very professional. We also noted at this time that although we had read that there was no corkage involved for byob it did in fact only apply to wine bought in their shop so we then had to pay £3 for bringing our own bottle.
We know that this may sound a bit petty but service is as important as the meal and helps to make things complete. We will return because the quality of food is superb but if a little bit of training was to take place with the staff, it would make it something very special.

1  Thank jimdebs

Thankyou for taking the time to write this review and for the wonderful comments on Gary's food.
I 100% agree with you comment "service is as important as the meal " every point you have made (finger bowels glasses ect) is something I have paid allot of attention to in training and selecting staff and I am disappointed that on this occasion it has not been followed through. I have spoken to fount of house and used your review as an example of how important the service is to a customers over all experience and I am confidant on your return trip you will receive 5* service to match the food.

Thankyou again

lisa_fins@hotmail.co.uk

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Popped in for lunch last Friday and found the restaurant to serve delicious seafood dishes in good proportion. Our starter of Mussels/Cullen Skink were excellent and the mains of trio of fish/salmon fishcakes were likewise second to none. Lunch for two circa £40-45 which was good value.
Plenty of parking and the facilities are very good. Downside was the service - sporadic at best with no interaction or friendliness which kind of took the edge of things.
Would certainly go back but won't be in a hurry to do so until front of house gets up to speed.

Thankyou for taking time to write your review and for the 5* comments on Gary's food.
I am sorry you have not had the same experience in regards to our service. service is something I have worked very hard on and take pride in the selection of staff to make sure its an intimate and friendly environment ( as a guest in my own home) and its disappointing to here this is not what you received. we hope to see you back soon and I am confidant you will receive the 5* service we normally provide.

lisa_fins@hotmail.co.uk

Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I ate here for our anniversary. On arrival our table was beautifully dressed. My husband had phoned ahead and arranged for flowers, chocolates and a bottle of bubbly for the table.
The food was delicious. Despite my husband never eating seafood he found plenty to choose from. For my main I had the hot seafood platter with half lobster and my husband had the fillet steak with bacon and mushroom sauce and took the surf and turf option with scallops to try.
The portions were very generous. The seafood platter would have been more than enough for two smaller appetites to share.
The service was very quick and the staff were attentive.
The whole meal (3 courses each) plus the extras of flowers, chocolates and prosecco came to £120. I thought this was very reasonable and was worth every penny.
Every table was occupied so I would recommend booking in advance as I got the impression it was a very popular place. Will definitely be going back.

1  Thank Lynseyanddaz