“Would have been **** but...”

Kelburn Castle and Country Centre
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Would have been **** but...”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Secret Forest was super (best part) - the cafe was excellent - the staff were courteous and polite - the animals were cute - the toilets were clean - but tour of castle the worst tour ever experienced but one (and that was very bad). Voice of guide without inflection and monotonous, also untidily/shabbily dressed, inaccurate facts - tours of historic houses should be about the houses and the history behind them and not endless stories about different people - so many of them that the listener had little idea who he was talking about. I switched off and I could hear yawning around me as others switched off too. Yes - go to the park - don't waste your money on the tour.

Visited August 2013
KelburnCastle, Manager at Kelburn Castle and Country Centre, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your review and we are happy to hear that, for the most part, you enjoyed your trip to Kelburn. We understand your concern regarding the castle tour and are considering it for future tours. We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer and thank you again for your review and your visit to Kelburn.

Wemyss Bay, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Looking very tired !”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Visited Kelburn with family recently. Camping facilities good . Secret forest attraction great idea but tired looking . The whole park has the ability to be great but overall it needs a makeover . It is obvious that no money has been spent on it for some time . A real shame to let it get like that. Staff were very friendly .

Visited August 2013
Thank you for your review and your visit to Kelburn. We understand your concerns about some areas of the estate needing some work, but we have also done a considerable amount of work over the past year to improve many areas of the country centre. This includes building new bridges, updating and improving the Chinese Pagoda in the Secret Forest, constructing a new Pet's Corner, building new toilet blocks near the parking lot and much more. However, we do take note of your comments and will continue in the short and long term to improve Kelburn's facilities and do our best to make it a first rate visitor attraction. We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer and thanks again for visiting.
Leeds, United Kingdom
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“It is what it says it is!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is a country park! People expecting nicely manicured pathways need to visit a stately home instead! I do agree that there is some maintenance work that needs carrying out as some of the paths do appear to have become unsafe, and the adventure park is an accident waiting to happen in some places.
My negatives? There isnt anywhere "decent" for the under 8's to play. The fort is bit boring to be honest. We werent told that the secret forest wouldnt open till 12, we arrived at half 10, and went up twice to find it closed, even at 12.20. The secret forest is looking a little tired.
My positives? What an amazing place to teach out child about the country and wildlife. She was amazed to find the waterfall at the end of the trail (we turned into Dora the Explorer for the day). The quiz in the secret forest was a lovely way to discover things that we probably would have missed without it. The painting of the castle is ugly/beautiful depending on which bit you look at, we looked at it for ages and I still dont think we saw every part of it. the castle tour (yes you pay extra for these but its £2 each and our 6 yr old wasnt charged) was fantastic. Our guide was very knowledgeable and told us lots of history on the way up to the castle from the ticket office. I felt very privileged to be able to see inside the Earls home and see the fantastic way the 3 properties have been combined. Some of the secrets it holds are worth the £2 to see!
Would I go again? possibly not as I think I have seen all I wanted to see. would I suggest someone else go? Yes! No its not great to get around if you have mobility problems. i do struggle walking and was disappointed i couldnt do all the walks but i took my time, made sure i got my footing, and enjoyed everything I saw. The falconry display just as we were leaving was an added free bonus for us.

Visited August 2013
Thank you for your review and your visit to Kelburn. We are very pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your time with us and explored many of Kelburn's wonderful attractions (especially becoming Dora the Explorer at the waterfalls!). We have noted your concerns and we hope you enjoy the rest of your summer. Many thanks again for your review and your visit to Kelburn.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“By far the best of a bad bunch”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

A lot of places such as Kelburn, I.E estates opened to the public are usually such a let down. There is always something shut (due to poor funding, usually) things appear dilapidated and the brochure is usually very misleading with photoshopped images and paid actors Smiling in non existent sunshine.

THANK CHRIST FOR KELBURN!!!!

Originally, the idea the was to try and entertain our 4yr old with a brightly painted castle. But such a surprise with what was on site.

As an 18st 6'3" Heavy metal fan, I would never imagine being so excited about a duck race.... So interested in the Birds Of Prey, and so enthusiastic about a Fairy tale forest. But, my wife and I ended up having as much fun as the little one.

This place is brought to life by the people who maintain it, and the people who share a passion for it

You could be critical of the condition of the pathways on the riverside walks. Critical of the cost of the additional extras. But if that's the case.... Stay out of the Lake District and go to a free castle and be bored.

I will be coming back to Kelburn. My daughter will be having a £3 pony ride, and my wife and I will be running through the secret forest like children.

Don't be wrongly persuaded by the naysayers looking for handouts.

Brilliant day!!!

Visited August 2013
Thank you very much for your review and your visit to Kelburn. We genuinely appreciate your comments and are very happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your time with us (especially the Duck Race - now becoming legendary in status!) Many thanks again and please do come back and visit (we have not purchased some new racing ducks ;) ).
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Could be a whole lot better!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Went to Kelburn as a family group. When we arrived we we were warmly greeted but felt a big push on horse rides cost x£, soft play Cost £3.50, tour of castle is £2.00 etc. I thought we had paid to get in? Boys first went into the fort, the 5 year old commented it was quite good but looked boring. A few art students could really transform this place with some imagination. In this play are everything was brick red. Doesn't really entice kids. The tennis court was out of bounds stopped by some plastic netting held feebly with cable ties! Kids play area/maze was also put of bounds due "disease and when funds allow will re-open". Seems odd this is publicised? The courtyard again could have been better with plants etc although one of the nicer areas. Walk down to the river waterfall was quite nice but a real h&s hazard in parts (I am a h&s mgr!!!). There were a few areas that needed attended to, a regular inspection regime would easily identify these. We did have quite a good time, just needs a real cash injection which I realise in the current image is not easy. Soft play was out of date and uninviting. The best part of the day was the woodland, nice trees etc which you could get free in a country park. Boys enjoyed the owls display which was good and rabbits/guinea pigs/alpaca/goats. Overall I would rate 4 out of 10 with huge promise and optimism for future endeavours. There is a lot of competition out there you need something special not botched together fences, makeshift rope barriers, benches needing coat ad paint/varnish, poor displays, etc. Good luck hope u find the money to invest to bring this promising Attraction up to a high standard.