“I don't do public toilets, but.........”

Kawakawa Public Toilets by Hundertwasser
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Kawakawa
Pulborough, United Kingdom
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“I don't do public toilets, but.........”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Yet again, another fellow camper had recommended these loos to us. He wouldn't say exactly what was so marvellous about them, but it was in one of the guide books so we had an idea. They are amazing, very wacky and lots more to the eye than at first sight, the bottles in the wall for one thing. I don't do public loos, but ventured in to take the proverbial photos, really stunning. DO take a look if you are passing the village, they really are worth the visit. Zany village too with more suggestions of Hundertwasser's work. He actually lived in the village, without electricity until 2000 when he died. I believe he meditated whilst on the loo and hence designed the public ones here, you can't just go in for a quick one!!

Visited February 2013

290 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 219 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We saw these toilets first on a Billy Connelly DVD (World Tour of New Zealand) and decided that we had to include them in our NZ trip. They are absolutely lovely. The design is very quirky, and they are probably the only toilets in the world where it is acceptable to take the camera in and take photographs. Well worth the visit.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank GerMar60
Sydney
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Yes, the toilets are the tourist attraction”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was a little suprised when people kept saying I must go to the Kawakawa toilets..pleasant pit stop (literally) with Hunderdwassers mosaic and artwork turning mere public toilets into a work of art. I wouldnt deliberately go out of my way again to visit but as part of a road trip the toilets were an enjoyable detour. Local hype is pretty full on but at the end of the day, they are still just..toilets! Can be varying degrees of clean - luckily I visited on a day when the toilets were clean and did not have any smells.

Visited January 2013
Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Arty toilets”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Hunderdwasser did a nice job here. Nice 5 minute toilet stop, nothing more or less. Toilets are as clean (or dirty) as other public toilets.

York
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Not sure what all the fuss is about”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were urged to visit this attraction whilst passing through Kawakawa. I have no idea what all the fuss is about as , in my opinion , its nothing special . Maybe I expected more due to the local hype it had been given .

Visited January 2013