“A nature lovers paradise.....”
Review of Genesis Eco-Oasis

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ek Balam Village
Genesis Eco-Oasis
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Being on my first trip to Mexico, i wasn't sure what to expect. As soon as I arrived at Genesis, I knew I was in for a treat. What a lovely, sweet and welcoming place. Lee, the owner, is the perfect host, totally committed to the comfort and enjoyment of her guests. One of the things that sets Genesis apart, in my opinion, is that Lee actually lives at the retreat so it occurs as if you are staying at her home. There are a variety of rooms, enough to accommodate just about any taste or comfort level. The food is fresh, local and healthy.
One of the best aspects of my stay there is the fact that Lee is part of the community and as a result I had an opportunity to meet some of the locals. The residents are friendly, they seem to really love Lee and they are happy to share their wares and activities with guests.
I am a true nature lover and one can easily see the respect for the environment that is the foundation of the Genesis Retreat. The care and planning that has gone into every inch of the place is amazing. Don't miss an opportunity to relax in the pool!
The proximity to the Ruins of Ek Balam, and Chichen Itza, as well as, the city of Valladolid make this the perfect place to connect with nature, history and modern Mexican culture. I had a sense of inner peace while at the same time, enjoying an ease of exploration of all that the Yucatan has to offer.
If you want to have a truly unique travel experience, get a real taste of the local flora and fauna, and have it all be peaceful, easy and relaxing, Genesis Eco-Oasis is the place to go.
If you are someone who loves nature, has an appreciation for environmental consciousness and preservation, go there, relax, breathe in the beauty and experience what Lee is doing. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Each room is unique and very creative. I would say just pick the one that suits your fancy!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed October 6, 2011

Mexico has so much more to offer than all inclusive boring resorts.
If you are looking for something refreshing, I highly recommend to visit this beautiful little oasis just 2 hours drive away from Cancun airport.
In Genesis, the time stops. You can completely forget your busy life back home, and be able to find peace in you.
I am not a spiritual person, nor religious. Having said that, time I spent in this little oasis was so beautiful, I never felt so good about myself in my life before.

The village of Ek' Balam is very small, everyone is very friendly even to someone like me who cannot speak a word in Spanish. The place is full of real people with great uplifting spirit.
Chizen Itza is only one hour drive away, and local Ek' Balam ruins, which is only 15min away from the hotel, are also breathtaking.
Food at Genesis is absolutely great. Everything is organic and you feel like you are eating "actual" food.
Staff there are so friendly and attentitive.
You wake up to birds singing and spend your night hearing frogs outside your room.
The hotel is also full of plants and flowers with many many butterflies and occasional fireflies.
We have stayed 5 days at Genesis, but I genuinely wish we stayed a bit longer. No other parts of Mexico have brought us so much undescribable energy and peace.
An amazing lady Lee runs the place. She is so welcoming and her story is so inspiring, she will make your time in Mexico unforgettable.

You can read so many reviews about so many hotels, but for Genesis, you have to see it and feel it for yourself.
Adventure lover and soul searchers will love this place. No cellphone, no internet, no facebook. Nobody can absolutely disturb you while you are at Genesis.
I guarantee Genesis will bring your one of the best experiences in your traveling history. There is no place like there. It is named for Oasis for a reason. And it surely retreats your worn out soul from everyday routines.

Ps- puppy alert! so many cute puppies there. You can bring home if you are prepared. However, they are all so loveable, you cannot even choose which one gets to go home with you.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Located minutes from the ruins of Ek Balam Genesis is truly a retreat. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the food is excellent but most of all, the setting is lush and gorgeous. It's exactly where you would want to go to really unwind and relax. The jungle garden courtyard is full of flowers, butterflies, dragon flies and frogs. The swimming pool is very pretty. However if you want to explore the Maya, there are many attractions nearby including the ruins Ek Balam and Chichen Itza, the town of Valladolid, amazing Cenotes as well as touring the traditional Mayan home. The owner Lee Christie is very accommodating and works hard to make all her guests comfortable. She is passionate about the environment, Mexico and dogs. In fact she has a few dogs she has rescued - I think 6 or so - and hopes to find homes for. She has adopted out a number already and they live all over the world. The retreat is easy to get to as I took a very nice air conditioned bus from Cancun. I noticed some visitors had rented cars. This was a wonderful vacation for me and I will go back!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2011

If you want to experience the real culture of the present day Mayan Village not yet corrupted by tourism, this is the place. The Eco hotel was as expected- nature was in your face. But that is the point of such a place. And it is indeed a beautiful place. The owner Lee was laid back and fit the place well. We had many good conversations with her. Our four year old son made a good friend in the village, and had a wonderful time playing the universal games of young boys. We met several people from the village, and making (and eating) corn tortillas in the old way over the fire with the lovely Guadalupe is an unforgettable experience. Our son still talks about his time there as the best part of the trip, including our time at an all-inclusive. We agree with him. Go in with your eyes wide open and the correct expectations, and you will have a marvelous time.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Genesis is a bohemian enclave near the stunning Mayan site of Ek Balam. It is run by the effervescent Lee, she is welcoming and friendly. We stayed 2 nights on the way back from Merida to Cancun airport after stopping by 2 weeks before for a guidebook prompted cup of English tea. We fell in love with the laid back approach, stunning pool, jungle plants and friendly band of dogs for company. The food is healthy and plentiful, the rooms perfect for sleeping and the place has a tangible air of cool and relaxing escapism. Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2011

We loved the Genesis Eco Hotel in Ek Balam, Yucatan, Mexico.

Three generations of my family enjoyed a special vacation here. Lee, the owner - proprietor, takes great pride in providing her guests a rural Mexican experience in a peaceful retreat with delicious food.

Comfortable in the hotel's beautifully landscaped grounds, we were surrounded by the grass-roofed homes of the friendly Mayan villagers. The great Mayan pyramid of Ek Balam is nearby.

Lee has established a cooperative relationship with the villagers where her guests are welcomed into some of their homes to see how they make the exquisite embroidered garments and the hammocks for which they are famous. In one home we also learned how to make tortillas in their centuries-old manner on a wood fire.

We highly recommend the Ek Balam Hotel. It's an experience we will never forget.

Room Tip: Tell Lee what you want.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This place is like walking into a blissful dream, it's a great escape from the cold British winter . It's a good place to centre travels as many of the Yucatan sites are only a bus ride away.

The owner seems like a very busy woman as she almost single handedly props up the local economy. Yet, she still manages to still be very friendly and amenable, much like the rest of the staff. I was impressed as she went out of her way to make sure I had English black tea with milk! I can't quite understand why one of these reviews described her as 'snotty' did they mean she had a cold, she was everything but during our stay.

Breakfast is fantastic, all meals are good. I wish I lived there, why did I come back to cold old England!??

Room Tip: Expect an early start (the birds are loud!)
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
0 mi away
Dolcemente Ek Balam
Dolcemente Ek Balam
#2 of 2 in Ek Balam Village

Been to Genesis Eco-Oasis? Share your experiences!