“Rent directly from owner!”

The Kapalua Villas, Maui
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Rent directly from owner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Location Location location...we rented Kapalua bay villa 14b 3. it is a lovely 2 bedroom 3 bathroom unit with a 180 degree view of the ocean and a gorgeous view of Molakai. The villa had everything you needed for a wonderful week stay. It was a 5 minute walk to various beaches and the Ritz hotel. We spent our days visiting all of the beaches on the West side of the island including Lahania, Kannapali, DT Fleming, Kapalua, Napili, Slaughterhouse and snorkeling at Honolua.

• Stayed July 2013
Ikena H, Front Office Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Mahalo for your review of The Kapalua Villas. Although you rented your villa directly from the owner, we glad that you enjoyed your stay here in Kapalua. I would like to take the opportunity to let our valued readers know the differences between booking directly thru an owner, and booking thru The Kapalua Villas. The Kapalua Villas are managed by Outrigger Hotels, a family owned business that has proudly serviced visitors here in Hawaii for over 66 years. We have a 24 hour front desk, on site housekeeping and maintenance as well as a vast inventory of villas. We are extremely aware of the many maintenance issues that can occur at any given time, and have the ability to address those issues in a timely manner. In addition we have an onsite management team that is willing and able to address any guest issues that may be brought to our attention and requiring prompt service.
Guests of The Kapalua Villas do pay a mandatory $25 a day resort fee, and we feel the benefits by far outweigh the cost. This charge includes; access to the Kapalua Spa and fitness facility, parking, wifi, local, long distance and select international phone calls, discounts for tennis and golf, and an on demand resort shuttle servicing all of Kapalua. Many of these perks are not available when renting directly thru the owner.

Mahalo again for your great review, and we hope that if you return to Kapalua one day, you give us a chance as I am confident you will not be let down.

Aloha,
Ikena Hill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have been to Maui many times and have stayed in Hana, Wailea, Kahana, and Napili. This was our second time staying in Kapalua and probably our last. There are just better places to stay for the price. It tends to appeal to the golf-obsessed tourist seeking the locales that have "status" since it is near the Ritz-Carlton.

These accommodations are hit and miss depending on the unit. They are showing their age and the elements are certainly taking their toll on the place. Maintenance crews were working on units constantly, and one worker was leering at my teenage daughter, which was not cool. Our unit in building 19 had a spectacular view, and it was an easy walk down to the beach and coastal trail. However, the unit had a roach issue. My wife was unhappy about that. I could care less, because I figure that comes with the territory if one is visiting a tropical island. It had a reasonably nice kitchen, but the furniture throughout was shoddy. The bathroom was lousy and in need of a serious update. It was poorly designed and badly lit. The patio furniture is pretty cheap for an "upscale" resort. We've stayed in far better condos on the islands for less.

Fortunately, our stay included full use of the Spa (of course, we PAID for that with the resort fee). We used it each day. It has a great work out facility, steam rooms, pool, and other excellent features.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room in person or pictures on line first. Ask for a guarantee that you will like the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ctj925
Aloha ctj925,

I'm sorry to hear that your villa did not meet your expectations. We do manage a few villas in the mentioned area, and would be pleased if you could reach out to me and provide me with your reservation details. We do actively work with our owners to keep their villas up to our standards, and is seems as though we have an opportunity to address some issues in the villa you stayed in.

We do hope that although your experience was not what you expected, that you contact me directly if you choose to return. We would like the opportunity to change your opinion of our villas and regain your trust in us.

Aloha,
Ikena Hill
Ikena.hill@outrigger.com
Macedonia, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our stay at the Kapalua Villas was wonderful. The gold villa accommodations were great - kitchen had everything we could have needed. The view was great and we enjoyed the patio space for late evening meals and breakfast. The walking trails were great with both challenging and easy courses, the access to the beaches was very easy and we could either drive or take the shuttle. The spa facility is the resorts hidden jewel! We used it just about every day of our stay - very quiet and has everything you need right at your fingertips. We got a few treatments there and they were absolutely wonderful! Would have given the villas a 5 but the construction next to our villa was a bit loud during the day and an not very appealing looking when I look back at the pictures we took outside our villa.

Rowlett, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Really, REALLY nice place to stay. Our first part of the trip was at a condo in Oahu, which was also nice, but privately owned, and more expensive. This location (2 bedroom, 3 bath, Gold Ocean View Villa) was just sooooo much better for the price (granted, I booked it early in January for the discount for the trip in Mid-June.)

The staff was wonderful. The facility was great. It was larger than my 1900 square foot home. Close the the beaches. WiFi provided (though slow, compared to what we expect for the mainland now, but hey, it's a resort.)

Took the wife and 21 year old son and 18 year old daughter. 3 great beaches. There was a rock cove to jump into the ocean from that was awesome! Snorkeling was great.

What else can I say? Next time I go, we go for a couple of weeks, if we can afford it. Great place to stay and great place to do other activities on the island.

Oh, and don't forget about checkout! It's at 11:00, but you can call for late checkout at 1:00 if you don't have someone else coming in right on your heels. Even if you can't, though, you STILL can use the SPA until 7 PM. For us, that was AWESOME! Our flight out was at 9:45 PM, so we could still checkout, check our baggage with Guest Services, use the beach, and had time to go on a snorkeling trip down at one of the harbors about 45 minutes away, then return to the resort and clean up at the spa, get our luggage back from Guest Services, and make the airport in plenty of time to get home. Very, VERY nice. That alone is worth an extra star or two!

Room Tip: Use the SPA, it's included in the daily resort fee!
1 Thank TimD477
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Kapalua Villas on the west end of Maui offer a spectacular setting, impressive accommodations, and fabulous customer service. I would absolutely stay there again. Here are some key points:
1) The beaches on this resort are some of the best on the island. There are three lovely coves adjacent to this resort--one being the gorgeous DT Fleming beach. However, we preferred the cove nearest our condo where the resort had a rental beach shack for chairs and towels (which were supplied free of charge as a guest). There is excellent snorkeling in this lovely cove which is also sheltered from waves.
2) The overall landscaping is spectacular. Lush vegetation surrounds you everywhere.
3) Customer service is amazing. They were able to accomodate our late check out and were extremely friendly and helpful. Use the activities desk to book special events.
4) The spa. We didn't investigate the spa until the last day. Big mistake. Use of this impressive facility is part of your resort fee (excluding fancy services). Take advantage of this benefit!

I would highly recommend the villas to anyone and everyone I know!

Room Tip: Two bedroom condos are extremely spacious. Well appointed. Recently many have been updated with high...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julieradio
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Villa 2721, Gold Ocean View room was amazing. To write a review of all the good would take forever but will say this villa met my expectations. Based on some reviews I was afraid of what I might find vs. what I paid for but was not disappointed. Amazing view, amazing location, amazing property, amazing amenities... the list goes on and on. The one downside is that the pullout sofa bed was worn and my daughter didn't get one good night's sleep while we were there but that is my one and only complaint. She ended up having to take a nap on the bedroom bed to get caught up on her sleep. I absolutely loved the location, it's a long drive if you schedule activities because they're usually in Lahaina or South of there but it was worth the drive to me because at the end of the day I could leave the crowds for the beautiful resort. It's just a few minutes from the North shore and, if you have the time to take the drive, do it. I'd never been to Hawaii and until I drove the North shore I hadn't seen what I'd expected the island to look like with forests, oversized flowers, emerald mountains... you can see all this driving the main streets but, after you've driven the North shore it makes the trees and plants on the main streets look like they need more watering! You will not regret staying at Kapalua Villas! Aloha!

Room Tip: I stayed in an ocean view room and had a view of the ocean from one side to the other but, I noticed...
martinsville, nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Recently spent 8 nights in a two bedroom condo at the Kapalua Villas. I originally paid for partial ocean view villa. We were upgraded at no cost to a full ocean view. The condo appeared to have been renovated in the past few years. Appliances were nice and it was spacious and clean with a great ocean view. We were less than a 5 minute walk to two swimming pools. We had about a 10 minute walk to the closest beach.
Only downside is that location is on far northwest side of Maui, so that you had a long drive to get anywhere.

Room Tip: Unless you travel in high season I would not pay for the highest quality rooms. I would ask for a co...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,879 reviews
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!