“Maui, Not like going to an all inclusive!”

The Kapalua Villas, Maui
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed February 23, 2012

This was our first time to Maui... We have been to several all inclusives. We were in Maui for a wedding so it was the main reason for picking this vacation.We had a gold villa one bedroom suite, which was beautiful at the kapalua golf villas.

This is a very rainy part of maui, yes you can drive 10 min down the road and the sun is shining It rained three out of seven days which did not impress us. It is dark in Maui until 7:30 am so dont think you are going to get up to start enjoying the sunshine The hottest it ever got to was about 82 f by 1:00 pm and then it is dark by 6:00 pm. It is very expensive there. You will need a vehicle as the resort shuttle wouldn't even take us to a luau which was off the property. The shuttles do not leave the property.

From the start of check-in at this resort we new we were just another person. The customer service was horrible. Here's your map, this is your room number and give us your credit card for the resort fee. This included such a great deal she said your parking, wifi and access to the spa. No services at the spa just access to the spa. We tried to ask a couple question and were told it is in your package. So after 20 min of driving around trying to follow the map that we were not to ask questions about we gave up and found a shuttle driver sleeping in his van. Could have been his break time so we asked him instead of him saying follow me i will show you he says oh where is your map. We never did get wifi to work on our ipad. The 1-800 number in the room is only for the connection they could not help with wireless. We also had tella marketers calling us in the evenings. We went to the front desk a couple days later to get some help again trying to find our beach and the other pools and chatted with Samantha a very nice lady, who advised us the manager would be calling us to apologize and fix things. He never did. I guess I thought perhaps he could've comped the resort fee at least upon check out . So I would say this place really doesn't make you feel like a guest.

You will not get cleaning service everyday. The kitchen had every appliance you could think of if you are going on vacation to cook. It is very quiet if you want to come some place to relax. You will need to drive to the beach or take the shuttle. At the end of February you will apparently no longer have access to the Ritz Carlton pools so if you are a pool person this will not be the place for you. The pineapple grill gave great service may be a bit pricey. Very beautiful golf courses with a price tag. Oh and don't go to the Rc residences.. This should've been pointed out on the map as you will very kindly be asked to leave.

So when in Maui we say bring MasterCard We will be sticking with all inclusives for the guest appreciation, the cost, sunshine and no need for a vehicle.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank SunFunMar2009

Reviewed February 22, 2012

This Kapalua Ridge Villa is actually part of the VRBO system, managed by Sullivan Properties, and not rentable through the Kapalua Villas office. We had a beautiful HUGE condo for two couples. The main living area and kitchen, of course, is shared, but the bedroom suites each had large spa tubs, he/she sinks and cupboards, and their own private patio. In fact, if you wanted to enter and exit your bedroom area without going through the main living area, you could and you could lock your entire bedroom suite from the main area. It was quiet, had a beautiful view from the lanai and a pleasant living area. The pool was right across the drive and the grilling equipment was fantastic! Also, Kapalua Resort area has a great lunch/early dinner deli on property and an ABC store that had decent prices for groceries and gifts. There also was a full-service grocery 1.5 miles down the road. We did think that the kitchen could have been stocked better with cooking utensils - the size of the pots and pans for four people wasn't convenient. And if you're not agile people, the closest beach isn't great to get to. It's beautiful - just quite a climb down and up. But there are 5 beaches - just pick one that suits your ability.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Kapalua Villas from February 4th thru February 8th, 2012. We stayed in unit 31G1. The view from the unit was beautiful and the surrounding grounds were in great condition. The unit itself was nice but not the quality I would expect for the rate we were paying.
The first night I went downstairs and turned on the kitchen light and thought I saw "something" scurry across the counter, I wrote it off to fatigue from a long day of travel. The next morning I went downstairs to make coffee and found a roach behind the coffee pot. I dispatched him and took him to the desk at the check in center. They seemed polite but not shocked. They said no other units were available but they would spray the unit with a "safe" product.
The next night we discovered a roach in the bedroom. I caught him along with one in the kitchen (photo).
Again, not what you would expect for the money we had paid.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank CP H
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Hi, I just got back from Kapuala yesterday. We stayed in the Bay Villas, unit 24 (the ground level unit). The rental agency (Sullivan properties) we booked the condo through sent us the key directly. We were not greeted nor shown to our unit. There really was nothing personal done for us. The rental agent called us the next day to see if we made it ok and/or had any questions. The unit we stayed in did offer daily maid service and consiere service from the Ritz-Carlton which is next door for $25 a day. We did not get that service.

I LOVED the Bay Villas. The only draw back was since there was no AC in our unit (we didn't need it) we had all the windows open and there were 3 couples staying in the unit next door that were loud. The grounds are incredible and the condo's are very secluded. If you want to to be in the heart of the action, I do not recommend the Bay Villas. If you want to come home from a day of activity to a quit, peaceful and beautiful property, this is the place for y ou. If you'd like, I can email you some of our pics.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tburns10
Reviewed February 9, 2012

We spent 10 nights in villa 2623. I had read some awful reviews of the gold villas and a friend had stayed in one last year and said they were dated and to have very low expectations. We had such low expectations we bought few groceries on the way to the villa so we could check out quickly if it was horrible. We have stayed at the Ritz and at the 4 seasons in Maui on past trips so we have been in premium spots and I think our "wants" for a hotel are pretty high. We were not disappointed. We stayed in ridge villa 2623 and it was clean, updated, nice furniture and very large lanai. It's an open concept loft master bedroom so I don't know if it would be terrific for couples to share a 2 BR, probably better for a family. The staff at the check in were fantastic. The only time we needed help was when the dryer wasn't working and they were at our door within 5 minutes to fix it. The spa was beautiful and I truly expected it to be only passable. I guess I need to not believe every review. Only concerns I have are that the pools in the villa areas are really small (think a backyard pool) and what will happen when you can't use the Ritz anymore? That might be the only reason we don't return. Otherwise I have nothing but praise for the villa we were in. I do think it would allay a lot of fears about the variability of villas if you could see pictures of the villa you will truly get. I know that would make me more comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank christie4007
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed in a standard 2 bedroom fairway villa. Location overlooking the golf course was excellent and very peaceful. We had a ground floor villa so had patio leading onto the course itself. Layout and decor were great and villa pretty modern and very clean. 5 pools in our group of villas, and use of facilities at nearby Ritz-Carlton Hotel which worked really well. Negatives for us were no proper drapes in bedroom - only slatted blinds, so not very dark at night in bedrooms, and compulsory daily charge of $25 for wi-fi, use of facilities at Ritz-Carlton Hotel etc. Felt this should have been included in price as not optional. 2 parking spaces allocated to each villa. Would definitely recommend to others and would stay again ourselves.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mimi110022
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We stayed in a 1 b/r :Ocean View" villa. The unit was set high on the hill overlooking Kapalua Bay and the Bay Course for the Ritz Carlton. The sunsets were magnificent from this vantage point (the few times we were actually in the villa during sunset). Yes, we looked over other villas and roofs but the view of the ocean and the flowers trumped it all. Because it was my best friends villa, we had all the privileges of staying at the Ritz (for a nominal fee). It was a short walk to the General Store, Ritz Carlton and the Kapalua Bay Beach. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cbw51
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!