“Best option if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing golf vacation in Maui...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Kapalua Villas, Maui

Special Offer
Book Best Available Rate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Melbourne, Australia
“Best option if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing golf vacation in Maui...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Spent a two-week long vacation back in Feb, 2009 in Maui Hawaii. First week was about surfing and beach relaxation so we stayed elsewhere(The parents of a friend of ours got a condo) right on the beachfront. The second week we drove here and stayed at Kapalua Villas for a golf week. The bay course and plantation course are stunning and super challenging. Totally kicked my little butt. LOL. Everything was quite expensive coz it was during Chinese New Year. We got a fairway view villa first and then we got upgraded to a gold ocean view villa which was quite big for two of us. The rooms are so nice and we enjoyed watching sun setting on our balcony. Beautiful and peaceful ... truly relaxing. There was a super market nearby the reception and it was a nice drive around the area as well. LOVE IT ! I spent so much money at the shops there on things with kapalua butterfly logo on it I don't even want to talk about it ... Guess I went a little bit C-R-A-Z-Y first time in Hawaii and staying at sort of a golf resort. Still I will return to this place. There is a restaurant called Merriman's Kapalua left me great memory too. Regional Hawaiian Cuisine. Amazing food.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
kvl_mgmt, Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Aloha,

It is always great to hear such positive feedback regarding a visit to Kapalua, mahalo.

Our golf courses continue to be highly ranked and as you noted, are designed to challenge...
The beauty is breathtaking on both courses and I am sure that you appreciated the "personality" of each design.

Merriman's has wonderful food and service, equalled only by the ocean front views that are second to none in west Maui. I will pass along your compliments to their team.

As it sounds as if you will return to our resort, I will happily assist with accommodations once your planning begins, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Salem, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We have stayed in Kapalua on many trips and have found Kapalua Golf villas to be among our favorite places to stay even though we own two timeshares at the Westin a few miles south. These late 1970's condos are well maintained and, though they are a way from the beach, the privacy and access to beautiful views of Lanai and Molokai make up for it. Units are one and two bedroom in general and very spacious with interior decors reflecting the preferences of the separate owners. All have ocean and golf views as the units cascade down the hill south of the golf course.
Guests can walk or drive to Kapalua Beach at the foot of the hill.
There are four separate pools serving the development, each small and almost private. The surrounding patios have two or three Weber type gas grills for barbecuing.
Rates through local rental agencies can be more economical than going through Kapalua Resort itself. We have used Sullivan Properties --------. The agency takes a 25% deposit up front with the remainder due within 30 days of occupancy. Rates are about $175 for one bedroom and $225 for two bedroom units. Senior discounts are available. Keys are mailed when deposits are received and they can be left in the units upon departure. Cars are necessary when staying here as the airport is about 25 miles away and shopping in Lahaina and Kaanapali is about 8 miles away.

Room Tip: Golf Villas are arranged in separate buildings with floors designated as P, T, or V (patio on 1st w...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was the fourth time in Maui (my 8th to the islands) and the third at the Kapalua Villas. First time was just amazing - booked 1 bedroom gold ocean view. We stayed in the Bay Villas. Everything about the unit was great only wierd thing was 1.5 bathrooms and no tub which would have been nice we have 2 small kids who like baths. The maid service was okay, news paper delivery inconsistent and no turn down service.

Second time booked same thing - stayed in Bay Villas again but this unit was a bit beat up. The finishes were not as good, and little things were broken like the shades and some fixtures. No tub again, maid service a bit worse, but there was turn down service and it was consistent.

This past summer was the 3rd and we booked the same. But this time we were put in the Ridge Villas. The finishes in this unit were better than 2nd equal to 1st. But it was much further away from the ocean. Also lousy view from the bedroom. You are basically looking at the parking. The previous 2 stays you had a view of the ocean from the bedroom - unit was a 2 level plan this one was a single level unit. When my wife went to see if we could switch there was a blond woman there that told her that another woman was complaining and she basically told her if you don't like it you don't have to stay there ... wow - so my wife kind of wimped out and we stayed at the Ride.

Also you are only allowed to go the the pools in your area. Which is a shame. Our pool was great for location. but it did not have a view of the ocean like our 2 previouys stays. The maid service was horrible (they changed their policy and only change bedding every 3rd day or something so basically we were making our beds - i understand recycling the sheets but make the bed), newspaper delivery was spotty, and they had no turn down service, also no slippers or robes - had to ask. And the kitchen had ants ... lots of them everywhere. we kept everything in the refrigerator.

Something happened to their service. in addition to the nightly rate you pay a $25 per day resort fee. Last night I went to the office to print my boarding pass (which they said was a service on the back of the brochure) and same blond women said I need to go to the Ritz to print it ... come on. When i was there the last time on stay 2 I printed the pass right there and I could see the computer terminal I used on my previous stay.

The Kapalua Villas are still a great location and there never seems to be a crowd - always quiet. But the service is inconsistent and staff seems a bit short on the whole aloha thing. And it is a bit of a crap shoot regarding the finishes in the units. We have always booked gold so i don't know what the regular units are like.

Basically it is worth it to experience Kapalua - but our familiy has maxed out on it and we are looking for another place for stay number 5. And my review is really based on our last trip.

Room Tip: Go for gold.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank M K
kvl_mgmt, Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. As a frequest return guest, you certainly have a perspective from which to clearly compare and comment.
Considering the statement heard at our front desk, I am greatful that you provided any star rating at all, such dialog is unacceptable and I will address this with the team today and through ongoing training. My apologies.
As the three residential communites (Bay, Ridge, Golf) operate independently as it relates to their association management, pool access is as you noted, limited to those owners or guests residing in a particular complex. This is a matter of liability and not a restriction we would choose to otherwise impose.
The majority of our villas are in very good condition with many of them already upgraded or enhanced. There are still some in need of attention and we work closely with our unit owners to ensure that they address such matters quickly. Suzanne Doty is our Product Quality Manager, leading our efforts to ensure that all villas meet the very highest quality levels in both Gold and Standard units, I will ask her to inspect the unit in which you are referring if you would not mind sending me either the unit number or your reservation information.
I recognize your desire to experience other resorts during your next visit and I hope that you have a wonderful time wherever that may be. Please do consider us for stays farther into the future and when you do, call on me directly and I can assist with your accomodations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

We had a nice relaxing stay there! Enjoyed coffee on the patio in the mornings with the beautiful ocean & golf views. Nice beach nearby and convenient location to nearby activities. We plan to return sometime.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars
kvl_mgmt, Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort and the experience you had while visiting with us.
It sounds as if you were truly pleased by all measures and the fact that you shall return again in the future is a wonderful testament indeed.

When you do plan your next trip to Kapalua, please call on me directly so that I may assist with ensuring yet another fantastic stay in paradise.

Mahalo,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Spa - fantastic
Ritz Hotel pool & beach - fantastic
My "gold" unit - tired & bland
Housekeeping a joke....every day they take the trash and give you a pile of new towels (they don't even hang them)

On the third day they will change the sheets and only then make the bed.

Come on Outrigger.....bring back the class !

• Stayed November 2011
Aloha,

I agree with you that it should have been better, most especially in regards to our housekeeping service. While the process of extending a refresh service (trash and towels) each day and a full cleaning of the villas after the third nights stay is accurate, the manner in whch towels were presented and the less than full cleaning you described is unacceptable. I will address these matters with my team today and I appreciate your feedback, though I am sorry for the root cause of concern.
We are continuously working to ensure each unit meets the gold or standard criteria as defined, and we have a team dedicated to working with the villa owners in precisely that pursuit. If you would be so kind as to provide me with the unit number in which you stayed or your full contact information so that I may gather the unit number from that data, I will be sure to send our team in to inspect and report any issues of wear to the villa owner.

It is good to hear however that both the Kapalua Spa and the amenities at Ritz-Carlton were both utilized and of the highest caliber of quality.

Again, on behalf of my team, I am sorry that we did not meet your highest expectations.

Winchester, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Aloha,
I have dreamed of visiting Hawaii since I was a little girl (when I used to think that you could drive there across a bridge). Now 47 years old, my husband and I were fortunate enough to make that dream come true (by flying of course). We stayed on Maui at The Kapalua "Golf" Villas from October 1st through October 15th, 2011 and absolutely loved everything about it. When it's your first time visiting a new place it can be scary and confusing trying to decide where to stay. After all, if you are anything like us you have planned and saved for a long time to be able to take a vacation such as this not to mention that you are using your vacation time from work. After reading reviews like this one for a lot of places on Maui, I decided on The Kapalua Villas and booked our trip through Orbitz. For months I wondered if I had made the right choice. After spending two wonderful weeks in Paradise, I can honestly say that I made the perfect choice and hope to one day be able to stay there again. We don't play golf but were in Building 12 of the Golf Villas and had a partial ocean view. Our Villa was tastefully decorated with quality furniture and appliances, very clean and comfortable and had an awesome view. The grounds are unbelievably manicured!! Many villas are much closer to the beach access than ours was so if that is important to you, I would suggest you call them and ask what those are called. I actually love to walk so didn't mind the 8-10 minute stroll down. Speaking of walking....there is a coastal trail which begins at the Kapalua Bay beach that you must check out. There was a pool right beside of our villa that had a shelter, tables and bbq grills so you could cook out by the pool if you wanted. By being a guest at the villas you also have access to the neighboring Ritz Carlton pool, hot tub, beach, restaurants and more. The Kapalua villas are located on the west side of Maui along with (in my opinion) some of the best scenery, places to snorkel, walk, bike and eat. The Plantation House is just down the road and serves breakfast until 3pm and has awesome views. There is this little country store called The Honolua Store on the property that we fell in love with and visited daily for pastries, very good inexpensive hot and cold food, coffee, tea, chocolate and souvenirs. This is getting really long so I will try to wrap it up...If you like the outdoors and want a peaceful, relaxing but memorable vacation I think that this is the place for you. We paid a $25 per day resort fee which I was a little hesitant about at first but with all of the amenities, daily housekeeping, internet and so much more, it was worth every penny. The Kaplula Villas along with the people of Maui went above and beyond to make our vacation an exceptional one. I have been back a week today and have shed tears every day because I miss it so and will long to come back there for the rest of my days. Mahalo to the Hawaiians for sharing their Paradise!

Room Tip: There are so many to choose from. I would just suggest you call and ask them which ones are right f...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ctheworld64
kvl_mgmt, Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
A dream fulfilled, now that is a perfect vacation...

We are happy to hear that you had such a wonderful time, and that we did our small part in ensuring a most relaxing and memorable experience.

Our villa service team and product quality manager are working each day to both maintain the villas on a daily basis, and to work with each unit owner in peparation for continuous upgrades and refurbishments as required, We have a long term commitment here in Kapalua and our mission is to make the best, even better.

I agree with your thought that west Maui offers some amazing scenery, from mountain to ocean, rugged to refined, the variety is endless.

BBQ's at poolside are something that guests sometimes forget about, what with a dozen dining options resort wide. This amenity offers a very special and simple diversion that cannot typically be found, not to mention the fact they are situated right here in paradise.

Stay well and stay in touch, we would love to welcome you back.

The Kapalua Villas
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

My family and I have traveled to Maui each year for the past decade, and we are never disappointed. This trip was no exception and for the second year in a row, our stay at Kapalua Villas was marvelous.
The grounds of the resort are in great shape, the numerous beaches (the big ones and the hidden gems) are some of the best in the entire world, and the wealth of activities all make for a perfect getaway with friends and family.
There were eight of us on this trip and we had a total of three units, all gold (well worth the few extra dollars). The rooms were large, clean, and fully loaded, thought we did not stay inside all that much we were comfortable when we did.
Spa, you must use the spa! Get a massage after working out in the best "hotel" gym we have seen (very modern equipment).
Housekeeping was daily and we appreciated the care that was evident in cleaning up after our kids ( the adults too I suppose).
The check in was warm and very informative and the concierge set us up with a full agenda in which everyone got to enjoy what they liked most.
The golf courses are fantastic and never seemd crowded, similar to the resort overall.
We are bringing more people next year and definitely staying at the villas.
Staff that stood out include Sam, Tatzuko, Rexy, Editha, and the desk manager (sorry, didn't get his name).

Room Tip: Go Gold, and ask to have villas near each other
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeff M
kvl_mgmt, Manager at The Kapalua Villas, Maui, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Aloha,

Your review of our resort is so very much appreciated and we are thrilled that your expectations have been met for yet another year.
I will personally pass along your kind words to each of the team members noted, as well as to the staff overall at each of the venues mentioned.
While the resort operates using many independent vendors, we all work together towards providing a seamless and carefree experience for each guest;. Kapalua Spa, Kapalua Golf, and our landscaping teams are each fine examples of success in these efforts.

I will look forward to your next visit and I ask that you call on me directly so that I may assist in ensuring the continuation of "the perfect getaway" for you and your family.

Mahalo nui loa,

The Kapalua Villas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to The Kapalua Villas, Maui? Share your experiences!