“Not impressed ”
Review of Merriman's Maui

Merriman's Maui
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Kapalua
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Dine in the most stunning oceanfront location on the island of Maui, directly on the point of majestic Kapalua Bay. Merriman's Kapalua offers a farm-to-table concept, with 90% locally sourced award-winning menu, showcasing the island's freshest fish, seafood, meat and produce. The opulent restaurant offers indoor-outdoor seating, spectacular sunset views, and an oceanfront deck. Prix Fixe dinner offered daily from 4:30 - 8:00 pm. Reservations are highly recommended.
Reviewed September 27, 2019 via mobile

My family and I had my birthday dinner here and it was a total disappointment. The view was spectacular, but the food was nothing to speak of. My steak was all fat and didnt have much flavor. There was a dollop of mashed potatoes, that was probably the best thing on my plate. We didnt order the side since the waiter said it was a generous portion if potatoes. My lobster was terrible, so chewy I could not even eat it...my husband thought it was imitation lobster. My husband's filet was overdone and also, no flavor. My son said his food was okay, but barley ate. We would say you are paying for the location and view. For a bill of $250 (no alcohol, as we do not drink)the food was worth $50 tops, in our opinion.

5  Thank smalbers21
Write a reviewReviews (3,632)

Reviewed September 26, 2019

Merriman's sits on an adorable cove in Kapalua. They have valet parking and the guys were super nice and talkative. Valet people are often overlooked, but if it's your first time to a nice restaurant, these are the guys/gals who set the mood! It's sometimes hard to be a "tourist" and not know where to park or check in.

Wait staff and busboys were awesome! And most importantly the food was great. Is it a little expensive? Well yes - but worth it!

The live music was perfect - behind the scenes but enjoyable! Don't bring the kids -- they will obviously welcome your kids, but it's best for adults!

We have been to Maui almost 20 times and can't believe we haven't been to this restaurant! Thank you for a very nice birthday dinner!

(side note - the bathrooms are downstairs and hard to get to but would not distract us from going again)

2  Thank Nina D
Reviewed September 25, 2019

for the first time, we were disappointed in Merriman's. The steak was not tender and they've change their ceasar salad. Beautiful setting, however!

3  Thank Ljn1031
Reviewed September 25, 2019

Came for happy hour. Got there just after 3 and most of the best seats were taken. We are able to nab a sofa on the side. Really fantastic views. We enjoyed their happy hour Mai Tais which were so good and so dangerous. They go down very easy! They are topped with a lilikoi/honey foam that is absolutely sublime. We also enjoyed their Poke (probably the best I’ve ever had) and some Kahlua pork quesadillas. They also had a musician that played ukulele and played some nice soothing music.

It was a very enjoyable few hours. We never saw anyone leave during the happy hour time, it seemed to be that enjoyable by everyone!

2  Thank Travelingtheworld61
Reviewed September 22, 2019

This must be the best restaurant in Maui, we've tried many of the best rated ones on trip advisor, and we always return to this one. It's pricey but with a table overlooking the ocean (inside where it's cool) and all the fresh, creative dishes, it is always a pleasure to eat here. The service is impeccable. We started with the pupu platter which had a nice selection to share with a variety of fish, meat, vegetable pupus. My husband had the special Merriman's sashimi main course, always a treat and I had the Kona Kompacha which was also delicious. We shared the cocoanut creme brûlée for dessert. We made reservations through their service and requested a table overlooking the ocean, which we got, with a beautiful view of the beach. We were there for the 5:30 seating but were behind a pillar so we couldn't directly watch the sunset, but not bad for making the reservations a day earlier!. Love this place and always eat here at least once on each of our visits, as we always stay in Kapalua at a family home. I'm an amateur genealogist and directly descend from some of the earliest Merriman's to settle in the US, so it has a special place for me.

2  Thank Cal_Travel_Lover