“First time, and an excellent experience.”
Review of Merriman's

Merriman's
Reserve with OpenTable
Merriman's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Kapalua
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Dine in the most stunning ocean front location in Maui, directly on the point of majestic Kapalua Bay. Merriman's Kapalua offers a farm to table concept, with 90% locally sourced award winning menu, showcasing the islands freshest fish, seafood, meat and produce. The opulent restaurant offers indoor-outdoor seating, spectacular sunset views, a modern open-air bar, and oceanfront lounge and fire pit.
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
“First time, and an excellent experience.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Despite being in the area several times before, this was our first visit. The wind was pretty high and that dampened our pre-dinner drinks and appies, but can't blame the restauarant for that. They have an amazing location and fabulous view. The food and service were awesome, enjoyed it all. But this is a pricier venue, so those on a budget may want to stick to happy hour. But for special occasions its well worth it.

Buffalo
“Romance, Views, Food, Service all Fight for Star Billing Here”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Merriman's is a decidely upscale restaurant to be sure.

The menu is fairly sophisticated, and any foodie will absolutely love the choices here.
The valet service here is a must. Who wants the hassle of finding a parking spot when you are on vacation? Not me. Here is 5 bucks to save me the trouble. Next!

We had requested a table by the railing to get a view of the sunset. Our reservations were for 6pm, which was an absolute perfect time. Our table was waiting when we arrived, as promised.
Our table for two overlooked a small bay. There were locals surfing in the bay, which made for an even more fun view. By the time we had left, we had a perfect sunset that we enjoyed, and brief star gazing. Yes, we had a long, lingering dinner, and enjoyed every second.

Cocktails: I highly recommend a couple of different cocktails.

Bourbon and Hibiscus: A delicious cocktail (but STRONG). The floral hints of the hibiscus were a great accoutrement to a decidely bold bourbon drink. My wife described it well when she referred to it as a Hawaiian Manhattan.

Merriman’s Mai Tai: Delicious and made unique by the lilikoi honey foam. This was my favorite.

Wine: Kistler, Trenton Road House Vineyard Chardonnay. Light, delicious, and a perfect pairing for dinner.

Salads:

Upcountry Organic Kale and Butter Lettuce Salad. I enjoyed this immensely. Use of fresh local organic produce was a plus for us. The freshness was evident and delicious.
Peter’s Original Caesar Salad. My wife had this, and I risked my life to taste the fried tomato croutons. It might have been worth a trip to the ER (I have a digestive disorder that makes seeds potentially life threatening).

Main Course:

Mine: Merriman’s Original Wok Charred Ahi. The Ahi was absolutely perfect (photos enclosed). I am very particular when it comes to seafood. The quality here was so good, you could have literally eaten it raw. Delcious and spiced perfectly.
Wife: Fresh Island Fish special. This dish was a Hawaiian Ono fish dish. It was prepared sous vide. The waiter was floored when my wife beat him to the punch explaining what this meant (I had no clue). Evidently the fish is cooked by marinating in lime juice. The lime juice does something chemically to the fish which cooks it. Mind you, there is no heat used in this process. It sounded waaaaaay too adventurous for me, but my wife made me try it. Fantastic! It was delicious, and I would have enjoyed it myself.

Dessert:
ORDER the french press coffee. It was divine.
We both decided to split dessert, which was the pineapple upside down cake. Served alongside were candied macadamia nuts (cut into pieces), carmelized pineapple, and vanilla ice cream. This was a perfect finish to dinner.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody wishing to have a memorable evening. Thank you to the great staff and chef for a romantic evening.

new york
“Maui trip”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Went to Merrimans based upon recommendation. An excellent restaurant! Requested a table facing sunset a few days earlier which we got. Food and service was outstanding. This is not a place to miss if in northern part of Maui. Would definitely recommend and will go back next time in Maui.

London, United Kingdom
“One of the island's best”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and i have visited Maui several times and of the many restaurants we've tried, this is a much returned to favourite. The staff make it. Excellent service from JJ, Patrick, Mark and David, the last of whom also supplies the carrots! Front of house and management..Brandi, Michela, Wendy, Abby and Ronit are the BEST. Friendly, warm, nothing is too much trouble. The food is first class, especially the many local fish dishes and the experience is topped off with a great atmosphere is great. It's also a popular and excellent wedding venue for those who need one.
On our most recent trip we dined there over 15 times in three weeks. Need I say more?

The Panhandle
“Our New Favorite Place For Dinner”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Merriman's is in a wonderful setting on the Kapalua Bay. Our meals were superb. Three had fish and I had steak. We all agreed it was the best food we've had on Maui, ever. Our waiter was outstanding. He is one those servers that just knows how to pace your meal without being too intrusive.

Visited February 2013

Been to Merriman's? Share your experiences!