“Top class dining experience in every way”
Review of Merriman's

Merriman's
Reserve with OpenTable
Merriman's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Kapalua
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Dine in the most stunning ocean front location in Maui, directly on the point of majestic Kapalua Bay. Merriman's Kapalua offers a farm to table concept, with 90% locally sourced award winning menu, showcasing the islands freshest fish, seafood, meat and produce. The opulent restaurant offers indoor-outdoor seating, spectacular sunset views, a modern open-air bar, and oceanfront lounge and fire pit.
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Top class dining experience in every way”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I have eaten at Merriman's and Lahaina Grill the last 2 nights and judged on food, service, ambiance and value, Merriman's was a clear winner. For Merriman's, not too impressed with having to wait over 20 minutes to be seated but that was the only negative (and a small one). Davy was a top class waiter, engaging, informative, professional and with a natural charm. Hard to beat a location with so much going for it, great deck, wide open and appealing dining room and live music that added to the ambiance of the evening (this guitarist was excellent). The key though is food and it was fabulous. Huge recommendation on the Pupu selection as an appetiser - 4 samplers each of which was delightful and big enough for 2 to share and enjoy.
I had the lamb special which was substantial and perfectly cooked - 2 lamb chops and meats balls with great flavour. My wife had the seafod special which again was a selection of 3 preparations.
The chocolate purse was simply the best of it's kind my wife has ever tasted (she tells me) and she has had a lot of these chocolate desserts. Light filo pastry gives way to a delicious soft chocolate interior and with an ice cream accompaniment.
Wines are not cheap but you expect that. Overall the meal represented good value (but then we live in Hong Kong which is stupid prices) but is not a cheap evening for those on a budget.
Hard to leave out of any visit to Maui if you enjoy good food and a dining experience.

Mansfield, Texas, United States
“Great Service”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Try the homemade pasta--it should totally be a main dish. It's bad [--]! The main dishes are mostly seafood with no alternatives for sides--they come with rice and veggies. It's delicious and the setting is spectacular.

Visited October 2012
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
“Our best dinner in Maui!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I dined here the last night we were on the island. We definitely saved the best for last! The location is stunning! We got some amazing sunset photos and had a perfect table overlooking the ocean. Service was excellent as was all the food: delicicous goat cheese app, Caesar salad with tasty fried green tomato croutons, filet mignon and fiat cooked perfectly with delicious sides including the Parmesan truffle fries! Sooo good! Also shared two desserts...the chocolate purse and white chocolate filled malasadas. All in all an excellent meal and one we hope to repeat one day soon! You won't regret dining here and make sure to make sunset reservations!

Brea, California
“"Worst service ever"”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked a table at Merriman's 5 months before our 40th anniversary trip to Hawaii. We specifically asked for a sunset view and planned on dining early (6:00 p.m.) just for that reason. Our travel agent made certain they knew our anniversary was being celebrated on October 6th. We got there and were given pretty well the only table without a view. It was wedged in a corner so there were only two place setting possible. My husband was facing a wall and I would have had to turn my chair completely around to see the sunset. We asked for a better table but after 2 or three different reasons why that would be difficult to accomodate, we got fed up and left. I never even got to open the menu. Shocking service that I've never experienced before. The manager(?) said no tables are guaranteed and after all a group had booked half the restaurant. I pointed out that the other half had many empty tables since we were there at an early dining hour (6:00). The server wandered away when I asked for a different table and didn't return for about 5 minutes only to tell me that there were only a few tables set up for two. However the table right next to us which would have been very nice was empty when we arrived along with about 4 or 5 others. While he was explaining to me about tables for two another couple was seated at the table for four and the two other place settings cleared away. That was enough for both of us. The manager gave us a few more excuses as to why our reservation was not guaranteeing a good seat but we decided to leave. Missed the sunset except for a quick glance around the wall. We ended up driving into Lahaina to find a restaurant that could accomodate us at the last minute. I will definitely never give a good review about Meriman's service. All they had to do was switch us to another table and not give us multiple reasons why they could not. We've never experienced such ridiculous excuses before. Not exactly the 40th anniversary dinner we planned. We'll never return.

2 Thank Pamela H
Cleveland
“Lovely setting and great food”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Merriman's has a great option of mixing and matching entree items for those who cannot decide what to order. I ordered the scallops which were delicious (and unfortuantely a little gritty), and my husband ordered the fresh catch and seared ahi, which he reports were both very good. Our server was knowledgable and attentive, and the live music was a nice touch.

Visited October 2012

Been to Merriman's? Share your experiences!