“Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
seattle, wa
“Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2004

I felt compelled to post a review after reading several months of comments prior to my departure to Maui.
My wife and I recently returned from the Ritz Carlton - we have nothing but great things to say about the facilities, staff and service.
Upon arrival, we were greated with lai's and then promptly upgraded to an ocean front suite in honor of our honeymoon. Later than evening, a complimentary bottle of champagne arrived, again, in honor of our honeymoon.
Our room was wonderful, the pool was fantastic, the walk to the beach was short, the buffet breakfast glorious...and the staff went out of their way in the Ritz Carlton fashion I was accustomed to.
We particulary enjoyed evenings in the lobby listening to live music.
This hotel is wonderful - don't let the bad reviews fool you.

3 Thank wileywb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2004

Based on the other comments, just wanted to add my $0.02. Spent three nights at the Ritz over labor day wknd, and experienced none of the problems listed here. Overall was impressed with the room, resort and service. My only complaint was a particular overpriced and poor meal at the Beach grill. (Brunch buffet, on the other hand, was excellent.)

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2004

Okay, I understand that everyone has different experiences at the same places. But I have to say that my experience at the Ritz-Carlton Kapulua was nothing short of fantastic. My husband and I spent 4 nights there for our honeymoon (after 4 nights in Oahu) and had a great time.
So the decor of the rooms weren't exactly up my alley (the elegant plantation look didn't do too much for me) but for a standard room, they were spacious and clean. The king sized bed was amazingly comfortable. The marble bathroom with the double sinks, the bathtub with a shower head and another separate shower stall area was a nice added bonus. While we didn't stay in an ocean front room, we had a great view of the mountains and a partial view of the ocean.
The pool was gorgeous and it had a magnificent view of the ocean and the swaying trees. Very relaxing!
The first night we had dinner at the Banyan Tree. The dishes I had were amazing. I can honestly say that this is the first time where I've eaten at a restaurant in a hotel and really enjoyed the food. I ordered the foie gras with the tuna and it was so good. But the topper was really the dessert. The Warm Chocolate Melt Away (similar to a souffle with a gooey oozy chocolate center) was to die for. My husband enjoyed his dinner as well since he ordered other items.
We also had appointments at the spa and my therapist was one of the nicest and most capable massage therapists I've ever had. It was always about my comfort (is the water temperature right, is the pressure right, etc.). And it was such a great massage.
Overall, the grounds are gorgeous, the service was amazing (every one was always nice and courteous and accomodating), there was an abundance of clean towels everywhere (bathroom, pool, beach). I highly recommend it.

3 Thank Jacklyn L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2004

My wife and I just spent 8 nights at the Ritz Kapalua last week and had an absolutely wonderful time - zero complaints. It was our first time to Hawaii and boy are we glad we didn't listen to these ridiculous reviews and stay somewhere else. The staff was friendly and helpful, our ocean view room was clean and well appointed, the beach and pools were great.. Our first night there we had a nice, casual dinner at their beach house(?) restaurant right on the ocean and it set the tone for the whole trip. Anyone who complains about walking to the beach has got to be joking - the golf cart shuttles were non-stop if you needed them, which you didn't. We especially liked the complimentary shuttle to the adjoining Kapalua Bay resort and the 3 golf courses, which we used many times for dinners, golf, beach etc. The cool breezes we felt in Kapalua pleasantly offset the daytime heat, and the privacy the Ritz provides was exactly the opposite of the more crowded Kaanapali and Wailea resort areas. I personally think that everyone who wrote reviews complaining about mildew has spurred a barrage of guests requesting and expecting expect free upgrades if they smell even the slightest hint. My advice, don't ruin it for the rest of us. RELAX..you're in Maui at a 5 star resort. Enjoy yourself, you're on vacation...

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2004

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Kapaula for 6 days (August 21-27) for our honeymoon. We had arrived there from a 6-day stay at the Hyatt Regency in Kauai, where we had a fabulous stay. Unfortunately, from the minute we checked into the Ritz, we knew there were going to be problems. When we opened the door to our room, it smelled like a combination of dirty socks, urine, mold and mildew. The carpets were wet as if they had just been cleaned. When we called to complain, neither phone in the room worked, so my husband went to the front desk where he was reassured that someone would be there "immediately" to move our bags to a new room. 30 minutes later, nobody showed and since we couldn't use the phone, my husband had to go to the lobby, stand in line and re-check in all over. No assistance was offered in relocating us, nor were any concessions offered. As other reviewers have said, everything in the room was outdated -- the t.v. was small and old; the furniture was old; our lamps didn't work; housecleaning rolled up our bedspread and set it to the side of the nightstand for our entire 6 day stay, presumably so they didn't have to actually make the bed; housecleaning never once cleaned the glass shelf over the sinks in the bathroom. Finally, the carpets in the extremely outdated elevator were filthy and coming up in the corners and there were scuff marks all over the hallway leading to our room. For a hotel chain that prides itself on customer service and everything being "their pleasure," we were highly disappoined and will never return to this property.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2004

Just back from a great week at the RC Kapalua. Apololgies to all you naysayers, but our experience there was grand. While it's true that the price tags on just about everything at the resort are high, that's why Hawaii exists, right? Anyway we cached in a bunch of Marriott points so our stay was free and we passed on most of the $50 a plate restaurant drek in favor of Maui Tacos and hit a few spots in Lahaina including Gerard's and Cafe O'Lei. For an exception our sunset dinner at the Plantation House restaurant was worth the ticket, but overall I wasn't knocked out by the food on Maui because I didn't feel much like eating, which is strange because normally I'm an amateur restauraunt critic and I can't wait to get out and eat. In Maui A bag of Onion potato chips and a Kirin was heaven. Anything more than light fare and appetizers and I was too weighed down. Must have been the climate.

In retrospect for us Maui was really all about the setting; ambiance, paradise, beaches, and Mai-Tais. The Ritz up on cool pleasant Kapalua was a great home base to explore the island. We took a ride down to Wailea to see the Four Seasons just to comparison shop and the differences were immediately evident to my wife and I. Wailea is like a Newport Beach/Maimi Beach/Vegas/Palm Springs kind of a place in a noticeably hotter part of the island. I felt like I was in Ceasar's Place when I was at the 4 Seasons (not my trip) and in contrast I really appreciated the sedate and distinguished exclusive charm of the Ritz. It's at least ten degrees cooler up on Kapalua, and the whole Kapalua Bay resort is great. Since we went in August I can't say what things might be like in February, and truth be told I was a bit freaked out about going to the RC after I read some of the reviews on this site, but to the people who harshly panned it all I can say is - That wasn't the hotel I stayed at.

I'm giving the RC 4 stars since Maui is full of great resorts, and while good, there was nothing about the RC that sent me totally over the edge. I think if the food was better and more tuned to the climate I would have been more enthusiastic. The situation of the hotel is also something of a trade-off - The hotel is goregous, the pool grand, but it takes a little work to get down to the beach. But this is a refined trade-off since the views are stunning and we had no problem getting sunburned just the same. In the evening the tree frog seranade is unbelieveable. Just be sure to rent a car and get some snorkel gear from Boss Frog's and don't be shy. Take the shuttle to the Kapalua Bay beach and check out the island. All beaches have public access and the water is fabulous, and it's the lesser traveled paths that turned out to be the better ones. In the end Maui wasn't about big dollar digs, it was a state of mind in a natural paradise. We were just lucky enough to stay at the Ritz and get spoiled in style.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2004

August 28th 2004
I just had to respond after reading the previous ridiculous "roaches galore" review. I think the only roaches there would be the one this person was smoking. I don't know what Ritz this person went to but it wasn't the one I stayed at. First of all the customer service was top notch, the rooms were very nicely appointed (e.g. feather beds) and cleaned twice daily, and the grounds were absolutely beautiful. We were greeted on arrival at the front desk with aromatherapy face clothes to refresh ourselves and the hostess placed leis on us and showed us to our room. My husband loved the morning jogging station set up with bottled ice water, towels and maps. The pool boys greeted us daily to set up our lounge chairs with covers and towels and brought us ice water. The dinner we had (tasting menu) at the Banyan Tree was fabulous, and the chef even took the time to come out to speak with us foodies. We travel a lot! There is no way anyone could justifiably put this place down. It deserves it's five stars.

3 Thank Bellamie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!