I find it incredible to have to write the following, but here is an account of what happened to us during our trip there. After spending 6 days at the Kea Lani, I thought what better way to cap off the vacation than 4 days at the Ritz?..( we had never stayed on that side of the island..so we book dinner at the Plantation, tee times and up the coast we go....
We arrived at the hotel and were met by the bellman, unloaded the car and proceeded to check in. When we arrived at the front desk we were met by a fairly unhappy young clerk, no smile, aloha, not even a hello...I gave her our name (we had reserved 2 ocean front suites) and waited while she typed into the computer for around 5 minutes and finally annouced that "Your rooms will not be ready until 7pm, just leave your bags with the bellman and stop by later tonite to get into your room" It was around 1pm at the time. I told her that this was not the type of service I had anticpated but Ok..would it be possible to have the same courtesy afforded to us when we checked out? Absolutley NOT! Late check out is not available that day as we are fully booked???? So we should amuse ourselves for 6 hours while we wait for the room...
Meanwhile at least 4 other guests were occupying the desk as well complaining about the view, rooms, hotel service charges etc...
I then asked to speak with the manager....20 minutes later.... she returns and states "great news! we found you a room...Is it deluxe ocean front? I ask, You'll like the room she says, I ask the question 3 more times, recieved the same responce. Not good at all...
I capitulate as any room is fine at the moment because spending any more time at the desk would obviously not be productive...
We arrive at the room...overlooking the golf course, not the ocean (never heard the clerk say anything about a room charge adjustment)... and low and behold..the room is surprise ...filthy...chocloate milk stains on the carpet, shoe polish stains all over the floor, looked like a crime scene out of CSI..The bellman to his credit was astonished as we were...but by that time I was beyond unhappy, picked up the phone, called the front desk and checked out..
Well, NOW the manager is finally interested...after explaining my disapointment with the check in process, room availability and then the room we recieved, he starts to negotiate! What can I do to make it up to you?... I explain to him that I am beyond negotiation and I would expect him to be proactive in offering a concession...for goodness sakes this is a Ritz Carlton...do the right thing, offer a spa treatment, dinner, find our two ocean front rooms, book a tee time...nothing but the question "what can I do to make it right?" I finally told him to call the Kea Lani and get me back in there (he never did call back with a status on that request).
For a marquee property in a marquee location the whole situation was exceptionally disapointing, unprofessionally handled and candidly not reflective of the other Ritz Carltons we have stayed at globally....thankfully the Kea Lani was able to accomidate us...
I would avoid this property and either go to the Four Seasons or the Kea Lani, competitive properties, who get it when it comes to a low stress check in, friendly, happy to see you, thanks for coming, sorry to see we disapointed you..here is what we are doing to make it right attitude that complements the level of service expectation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on 54 acres, The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua showcases a stunning, fully-renovated destination resort offering 463 guestrooms, including 107 residential suites, warm wood floors, travertine bathrooms, flat-screen televisions and Hawaiian-inspired artwork. The spa beckons with treatment rooms framed by private garden showers, volcanic stone grottos, heat therapies, and a fitness center with spectacular ocean views. Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ambassadors of the Environment offers all levels activities from land to sea. Also featured are six restaurants, indoor/outdoor meeting space, an inviting children's pool and luxury cabanas. It is enveloped by picturesque Kapalua Resort’s two championship golf courses, dining and a century-old pineapple plantation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua Hotel Kapalua
- Ritz Carlton Maui
- Ritz Lahaina
- Ritz-Carlton Lahaina
- Lahaina Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua Maui