“Birthday getaway with hubby to Maui!!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Birthday getaway with hubby to Maui!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

My first time in Hawaii.. Maui is just majestic and amazing! The ritz Carlton is located in a quieter yet beautiful location in Kapalua. Staff is friendly, warm and very attentive..always ready to attend to our needs. Concierge were very informative and the staff is very knowledgable of their surrounding and gave us great recommendations including dirt roads and walking paths to explore.
Our valet attendants were great.. Special Thank u to Josiah, Derrick chef Annie Marshall and Sarah at Concierge..I felt safe here and the view is just amazing. Great running and walking area! Close by to the bay to snorkel. It's right off Route 30 which is just an amazing view of surfers, kayakers, campers and great waves, eating places and twists and turns..
Clean environment..food is expensive but plenty of other options not too far. Highly recommend car rental.. If possible get a jeep!! It's worth it!! It's just paradise!! Would recommend to family and friends and defiantly come back again!

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

The rooms were nice and clean but not that big. The hotel grounds are beautiful, the pools had no umbrellas which is not acceptable for a Ritz! Things disapeared from our room(shorts and underwear), we filled a report with the hotel security, problem was never resolved! We were told we would be given a $50 discount at check out, and when we brought it up, the receptionist said that he can't do it! Seriously Ritz Carlton?!!! We could not believe that this can happen at the Ritz, we are not coming back so this year we are staying at Marriott at Wailea!!

Stayed September 2013
9 Thank Camelia A
The Ritz Carlto... K, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Aloha Camelia,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. While I was happy to hear you enjoyed the resort overall, I was disappointed to learn that certain aspects of your experience did not exceed your expectations. I will personally follow up with our Loss Prevention team as to the status of your missing items and the discount you were to receive. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience in further detail and I invite you to contact me personally at 808-665-7037 or ian.mcphee@ritzcarlton.com at your earliest convenience.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,
(With Warmest Regards)
Ian McPhee
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Yeah, you heard me. On Maui, we walked into this hotel and checked in. That's the short version.

The longer version starts with my recent review of the Hyatt and our desperation to get away from there. We checked out several options, flying out to Honolulu early being our first, but as it turns out, our hotel was (luckily) fully booked. Instead, we rented a car and drove around the west part of the island. At two in the afternoon, we drove up to the Ritz for a late lunch, at their beach restaurant. From there, our stay on Maui changed, for the better. All the staff members were friendly, helpful and made us feel very welcome.

After lunch, we decided to walk by reception to see IF they had an empty room, and they did. Lucky us. We checked in right away, drove back to the Hyatt, checked out, and never looked back.

The property is big, but everything is quiet, serene, and every last staff member is friendly, smiles at you and makes you feel very welcome. Our ocean front suite was beautifully decorated and although we had to walk a long way to get back to reception and restaurants, it was totally worth it.

This is an amazing hotel, and there is very little room for improvement. However, there are a few small things that we look forward to seeing improved next time: for instance, our room attendant didn't replenish the tiny container for cotton swabs. Big deal, eh? Apart from that, I think the hotel shouldn't distinguish between their continental and American breakfast. First of all, there is only one buffet, so people easily choose the 'wrong' things, but more importantly, I overheard a conversation between a guest and a server where the server apologized for checking the guests' plates for what they had ordered. Embarrassing for the guest, not to mention awkward for the server.

Other than that, all I can say is I look forward to returning...

Room Tip: Their beachfront suites are to die for, but unless you get a room with a mountain view in wing 2, al...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Hans H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in May and loved (almost - see below) every minute! Kapalua is stunning and this hotel is classic and elegant. I was a bit hesitant to stay here after reading some of the reviews but am so glad we chose the Ritz!

First, the hotel grounds are amazing. Yes the hotel is set back from the beach but it is so peaceful and calm. We booked a 'Deluxe Garden View' room and actually had a view of the pool and could see the ocean from our lanai! The rooms are classy and were kept clean and tidy.

The location of Kapalua was perfect for us. Some people complain that it is too far from "town." In my opinion, the farther the better! We came to relax and unwind :)

The drinks at the pool are pricey but so delicious! We were in heaven. The only places we ate on the property were Aiana cafe (overpriced and not great, but convenient) and the pool bar. The pool bar had amazing fish tacos. We went to the bar in the lobby two nights and watched the sunset. One night they had a band playing, it was wonderful and so relaxing.

There is Honolua Store and Sansei within walking distance, and the resort shuttle will take you anywhere in the Kapalua area. We used it to go to the Plantation House Restaurant, Merriman's, the Montage Spa, and Kapalua Bay.

The only downside to this hotel is the conferences. On our last full day there, a huge group showed up for a conference and it completely ruined the quiet atmosphere of the hotel! The people were so loud and completely took over every area. On our last morning we went to Aiana to grab coffees and the line was SO long and the conference people were all talking super loudly or talking on their cell phones and being rude to the people working at the cafe. I also sat out on the lanai, as I did every morning, and there was suddenly a lady in the room next to ours, also on her lanai, talking loudly to another coference participant on their separate lanai. Hotel management should take note that guests paying a high price for a peaceful vacation do not want to be swarmed with loud obnoxious people who have no consideration for other guests. While I LOVED our stay (I guess we got lucky in only having a conference on one day of our visit), I might be hesitant to stay in the future. Hotel management should seriously reconsider their policy on allowing conferences.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TrojanTraveler142
Pittsburgh
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Our family of 4 stayed in a beautiful suite in July. The grounds & location are perfection. The staff is phenomenal, especially Grace at the front desk who was more than accomodating when we requested late check out. We love the pools and sports available. The walk down to the beach is a little far but it's breathtaking. I'd suggest walking down & taking the golf cart back up! The beach is beautiful as is the restaurant right next to the water. Our kids love the pigs-Loco & Moco! The shops inside are fantastic-excellent selection! Our only complaints are the poolside drinks-they are so over priced yet so SMALL. $16 for a drink in a cup a little bigger than a Dixie cup. I know it's the Ritz but they'd sell more drinks if they were either $10 or $16 but triple the size. Other hotels on Maui charge around $10, give or take, and are much larger. The other complaint is the air conditioning in the rooms. Our vent for the master bedroom was behind the door. So you only get air circulating around the room if the door is closed. The bathroom has zero airflow-it's so hot trying to get ready in there. Especially with 4 people showering & steaming it up. Nonetheless, we would stay here again in a heartbeat. The complaints were minor in comparison to everything else offered here. The worst part of the trip was leaving the Ritz!

Room Tip: I can't imagine a bad location at the Ritz!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank CookiesMomPA
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My wife and I recently spent 10 days at the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua to celebrate our wedding and honeymoon. We're huge fans of the Ritz brand, and Maui seemed like the perfect location. Our experience is difficult to put into words; it really was that incredible.

I am a seasoned business traveller --I spend 150+ nights a year in hotels-- and from the moment we arrived at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua I was continually blown away by the level of customer service, the cleanliness and beauty of the hotel and it's perfect location. In all the travelling I've done, I have never been in a more perfect place.

The location is fantastic; it is not completely beach-side (short 5 minute walk down to the beach), but the walk down was a treat every day. The grounds are immaculately kept and the weather in Maui is so perfect that you want to be outside as much as possible. The hotel sits along the Kapalua trail, a 1.75 mile trail that takes you from D.T. Fleming beach (at the base of the hotel) all the way to Kapalua Bay. There are four beaches along the trail, all are incredible in their own way. If you go at the right time of the day, you can see Green Sea Turtles all along the lava rock formations; no picture could ever do their beauty justice! We walked the trail every single day, and it's probably what I miss most now that I'm home. Some people may find the hotel further out than they'd like, but in my opinion, the location is THE selling feature of this hotel.

The level of customer service was above and beyond what I expected, even for a Ritz property. We got to know many of the staff members on a first name basis, and they are a good part of the reason why my wife and I will absolutely be returning. Burton in concierge was super cool, a Maui local and very knowledgable about the island. He gave us better recommendations on places to go and see than any website or travel forum I could find. Thank you, Burton!

If you're looking for a hotel that is the epitome of luxury, in a paradise that offers so much that you couldn't possibly cover everything in one trip, I recommend the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua. It might just be the most perfect place on Earth.

Room Tip: Splurge on a club-level room. It costs a bit more, but the free food and drinks more than pay for th...
Green Features: Maui is easily the cleanest place I've every visited. The entire island is very eco-friendly and all about sustainability. You'll notice the Ritz follows these values strictly; food is locally sourced when possible and the grounds are outrageously clean.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Brandon C
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed July 22, 2014

First-class all the way. This is a great property for couples more so then families. The hotel property is fairly remote from most of the Maui activities and the pool is average, but the relaxation and the pampering - wow! Spent one week of pure indulgence with great golf, great beach and excellent food selections. Like I stated, the downside is the drive to activities, so if you are looking for serenity and peace - this is the place!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!