My wife and I came to Hawaii to celebrate our 25th anniversary and chose to combine a stay on Oahu with a stay on Maui. Knowing absolutely nothing about the island of Maui other than what I could learn from guidebooks and Tripadvisor, we elected to stay here; in part because of the reputation of the Ritz-Carlton chain and in part because we could use our Marriott rewards points. We do not travel all that much and when we do we generally don't indulge ourselves with this level of luxury. So, staying here was intended to be a treat.
What impressed me most about this hotel is the staff and the level of service. From the very beginning as we stepped onto the property, we were made to feel at home. There was a brief orientation to the facilities, and then the porters added to that with some advice of their own on the way to our room. The grounds and pools were magnificent, but if you come to Maui for the beaches, the one the connects to this property may be a little bit of a disappointment. It is within walking distance but it is a bit small. That wasn't so terrible however--- you'll have the advantages of having shower and towel amenities right there, as well as a beach restaurant. You'll want to rent a car anyway, so if this beach isn't to your liking, drive down the road a bit and pick any of the other beaches for your sun and surf fun.
As for the rooms, I'd call them adequate--but, to be perfectly honest, I expected a little more from a Ritz-Carlton. The hallways and facilities were in top shape, but (and don't criticize me for this), I was surprised by the condition of the stairwells, which often appeared to be in a state of disrepair. But, who cares about stairwells anyway? Take the elevator! I just expected that things would be in pristine condition here, and that wasn't the case.
We were in "exploration mode" so we didn't stay much on site; consequently, we didn't avail ourselves of the restaurants for dinner. We did, however, have lunches at the pool bar and near the beach, and they were both quite good.
We only have one real complaint about our stay at the Ritz, and it is admittedly minor. During our five-day stay, there was construction going on to renovate the main restaurant. We didn't mind the inconvenience of not having the restaurant available to us (they did have a substitute room set up for meals, had we wanted to use it), what was annoying was the continual "beep-beep" backup warning noise from the construction machinery, which seemed to be most noticeable in the mornings as we wanted to sleep in. That complaint may sound petty and I don't fault the hotel for complying with OSHA regulations, but for a couple who saved up for years to afford to come here in search of an amazing experience, it was a nuisance.
Don't worry; I didn't let that minor problem spoil our stay. Indeed, I'd recommend the property to you primarily for the staff and the level of service. One warning for the Maui-uninitiated out there. Be sure you understand that Kapalua is a bit out-of-the way. You'll need a rental car--and if you want to do sightseeing to the big attractions like the road to Hana or Haleakala crater, you'll need to do some driving. But hey, you're in paradise---don't let the distance deter you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on 54 acres, The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua showcases a stunning, fully-renovated destination resort offering 463 guestrooms, including 107 residential suites, warm wood floors, travertine bathrooms, flat-screen televisions and Hawaiian-inspired artwork. The spa beckons with treatment rooms framed by private garden showers, volcanic stone grottos, heat therapies, and a fitness center with spectacular ocean views. Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ambassadors of the Environment offers all levels activities from land to sea. Also featured are six restaurants, indoor/outdoor meeting space, an inviting children's pool and luxury cabanas. It is enveloped by picturesque Kapalua Resort’s two championship golf courses, dining and a century-old pineapple plantation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua Hotel Kapalua
- Ritz Carlton Maui
- Ritz Lahaina
- Ritz-Carlton Lahaina
- Lahaina Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua Maui