“Putting on the Ritz”

The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is my first time at a Ritz hotel property. We had stayed in Lahaina at the Westin for the first part of our vacation and the last few days here at the Ritz. The area is kind of removed from everything, its about a 15 minute drive from Lahaina (which has everything) to this resort and golf community. We noticed right away that they made an effort for customer service. Upon pulling in there was several valets and attendants waiting to park the cars and unload our stuff. We walked in thru the entry way and it was in my mind nothing special a rather subdued lobby and entryway. Funny thing is we were waiting in line to check in and my son who is 9 says "Mom are we going to get lei'd here? All the other hotels we stayed at lei'd us, how come this hotel hasn't? I thought this was supposed to be fancy." Well it was said pretty loud and immediately someone came over and put Leis on us. We checked in and had a little problem with our reservations. We booked it thru the same site and one night was paid for and one night in their system it was showing that it was not. It did not make any sense, but it was about a half an hour or going thru emails and confirmations, the manager said she would look into it and get back to me. While I was getting angry and frustrated the lady at the desk said we were able to upgrade you to a suite and we will get this figured out. Which I thought was great and it definitely took some of my frustrations away about possibly being charged 2 times for the same night. The manager took my number and promised me a call once it was resolved. Our room they said wouldn't be ready for a bit but we could stow our bags and relax by the pool. Our room was not ready until after 3 o'clock which was about 3 hours after we got there. Thank goodness I left out our bathing suits from our suit case so we could lay out by the pool.
Once we got into our room it was quite large it had a full size dining room table, a kitchen, living room and then a completely separate bedroom / bathroom and full size walk in closet. It was very nice and comfortably decorated.
All day long it seemed they had activities and events for families, such as cookie decorating and movies. I don't know if this was because of it being Christmas week or this was the norm, but it was nice. Even at night once the sun set they had movies by the pool with someone serving drinks and popcorn. That was a lot of fun but you definitely needed to have a blanket it got quite windy.
Sitting around the pools there is a constant presence of waiters and staff looking to get you whatever you need. They even handed out sunscreen and lay out your towels if you want it. We ordered food several days by the pool and it was very good. Overall we did enjoy our stay here, our bed was super comfy and the linens were very soft. The pools were heated which was a huge plus especially since it gets windy here and the temperature is several degrees cooler with the winds.
My biggest complaint really was the lack of effort to get my charges reversed or even to let me know what the resolution was. I talked to 2 different managers and neither one got back to me, which in my mind is poor customer service and very disappointing. Other than that the room attendants came twice to make up our room and we always had fresh water and ice. We did eat in a few of the restaurants and the waiters were all great and really made an effort to make us happy. It was a nice upscale hotel, if the managers had made an effort to get back to me I would probably give this resort a 5 stars.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MandyParle

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at this Ritz and was quite surprised as to how dilapidated the property really was. Instead of pouring millions into renovating the grass for golf, they should have paid more attention to the rooms, carpets and general area overall. The carpets were terrible, as if they were there since the 1980's, the rooms were super small and nothing to rave about. Being a Amex Platinum member there for our anniversary, NONE of the concierge staff bothered to try and upgrade us (even though the property was not as sold out as they claimed). To top it all off, we thought our iPad was stolen and we immediately notified the management. The manager on duty did NOT even bother to call us or even make us feel as if we were staying at a Ritz property. We were not looking for any free comps, but a mere effort to try and locate our device would have been a nice gesture. Instead, my husband and I had to follow up with the manager the following day to see what was being done. The Ritz should take it's name off of this property, or make their staff go through a hospitality course, because it was simply unacceptable to a frequency-Ritz visitor such as myself. Also, DON'T bother getting a massage outdoors, because all you were hear are screaming kids by the pool which is hardly relaxing. Bottom line - I would not stay here EVER again, nor would I recommend this place to anyone. I'll be staying at the Four Seasons the next time around. After posting my initial review on trip advisor, MAGICALLY our iPad was "found" and sent back to us in one piece. But I'll chalk it up to coincidence, as opposed to any real effort on part of the Ritz to help us track it down.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Deepali V
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just spent xmas week at the Ritz in Maui. No use to repeat here all great features - found in guides such as Fodor-ot this very special resort except to highlight the exceptional quality of service from all staff at all levels. Have travelled extensively with family all over the world -especially in South East Asia renowned for superb service- but have rarely encountered such commitment from everyone to greet you with big smiles, help you in any of your enquiries or issues, and generally make sure everything is as best as can be. Very special recognition to the outstanding concierge team of at least 4 or 5 staff always on duty to help you plan and organize your activities, and in my case to Kai who before my arrival and during our stay made a very big difference in my family's total enjoyment of the week in Maui,

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JC B
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed here with my son in Oct. Was surprised to see it only ranked in the top twenty. We only had breakfast in the hotel , which was super, so cant comment on the restaurant. Rooms were large twin beds and very clean and well equipped. Stayed in the Four Seasons in Atlanta in July and thought this was a far superior hotel. Staff and service were excellent. Beach is a couple of hundred metres from the rear of the hotel and is essentially a private beach for the hotel. Some have mentioned it being a bit of a walk, I'd say only a difficulty if you were extremely unfit. Have to say Maui itself is overly sanitized, no local culture, there appears to be no history before the Americans colonised the islands left. Villages around the island are essentially shopping malls with streets of souvenir shops. Our day trip to Molinkini was breath taking and would thoroughly recommend. We swam with tropical fish, say numerous dolphins and sea turtles. The weather , the beaches and scenery around the coastline is stunning. Would definitely recommend this hotel if visiting Maui, locals said it was the best temperature on the island for sleeping at noght

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed here for week 1 of our honeymoon. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and the service is amazing (as is expected at a Ritz). All of the employees were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

Check in was a breeze and our ocean-view room was immaculate with a great full on view of the ocean. We were sent a lovely honeymoon treat - chocolate covered strawberries and bottle of champagne upon arrival. Also later on in our stay the manager sent us a nice cheese plate and wine after we met him at the pool earlier that day, which was very thoughtful.

We ate the buffet at the Terrace every morning and it was delicious. There was enough variety to please anyone and everything was very fresh. The smoothies offered were fantastic as well. Lunches were hit or miss, we loved The Beach House (had a great mahi mahi salad) however the Pool Bar, although convenient, wasn't very good (the flatbread was terrible, sushi was just ok). I couldn't get enough of their mixed drinks though - my favorite was the 96 Degrees.

The pool was beautiful, I liked the 3 separate levels and I believe 2 of the 3 were adult only which was appreciated. The chairs were comfortable and the towels were great quality. There was also flavored water stations available in a few different spots. The beach was beautiful, the water was a little too rough to swim in though - however that was expected for September.

We also did a couples spa package which was top notch - the facilities were modern and decorated beautifully. The techs were amazing! We booked the Kapalua embrace (body polish/massage/soak) and it was a nice treat. The polish smelled so good we ended up buying some in the store.

Overall this was my favorite resort during my honeymoon (also stayed at Hyatt and St Regis in Kauai). The grounds were beautiful, pool was very nice, spa was exceellent and employees very friendly. It was just a short drive downtown to Lahaina and there were several restaurants

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lmd86
Reviewed December 30, 2013

It's a Ritz, and it lives up to its name. Enough said.

The location is either you like it or hate it. It's on the north end of tourist activities. Other than the hotel facilities (they do have a nice swimming pool), there is nothing much around it unless you are a golfer.

Next time I might try one of the hotels in Ka'anapali (Westin, Sheraton, Marriott, Hyatt, ..). There are more activities, and a shopping center (if your significant half is coming with you).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband has frequented here over the holidays for years. We planned our honeymoon here- excited to share most evenings at his beloved Banyon Tree poolside restaurant. Only to arrive- a week in now- to the disappointing news- it is closed. Although the staff is exceedingly tremendous and gracious- the hotel, the amenities and the like, are truly very disappointing. We would transfer our next week here- if it weren't for the staff. The hotel is in great need of dose of Ritz quality and comfort. The concierge is only available between certain hours- etc. It's just not as grand a property as it once was.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hapsters
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!