We spent the first 5 nights of our Hawaiian honeymoon at the Ritz in Kapalua -- overall excellent stay, no real complaints, but not as memorable as our next stop in Kauai.
After a LONG trip from Boston, we were exhausted and ready to relax when we arrived -- check-in was quick and painless (and accompanied by a lei and fresh juice). We received a complimentary room upgrade without asking...no complaints.
Our room was on the main level, a short walk from the main lobby. Beautiful classic Hawaiian styling, view of the fairway/green at the golf course next door and very large. Small, somewhat-private balcony was nice. My only complaint on the room was the pillows -- while the bed was super comfortable, I was never able to get comfortable with the pillows and did not sleep well for our entire stay. I'm sure most people find the pillows comfortable, and I didn't ask for different pillows, so not a huge complaint.
The resort was fairly quiet during our stay there -- a bunch of honeymooners, and a bunch of empty nesters. Ages definitely skewed older than other places we stayed in Hawaii. Not a kid to be seen anywhere, which was to be expected.
The bar in the lobby was nice for a quick drink on our way to or from dinner, but never seemed too lively. Onsite restaurants were very good, but our best meal by far was at Sansei nearby. Perhaps the only restaurant within walking distance, Sansei was the best dining experience we had in all of Hawaii -- incredibly fresh and creative sushi. Breakfast buffet was excellent, but overpriced even by Ritz standards -- we only ate breakfast onsite our first day.
Pool was nice, but very little shade if that's a concern for you. We spent more time at the beach, which is a ~5+ minute walk from the pool. Beachfront cabanas are set back from the beach a bit, but include a cooler full of drinks, waiter service and welcome shade for $50/day. It is certainly windier than other locations in Hawaii, but that was not a problem for us -- we thought the breeze was actually nice.
Location is secluded which has its pros and cons. Very quiet and relaxing, which was nice. However, it's a 15-20 minute drive to the closest town. If you want to eat off-resort, besides Sansei it's going to be a fairly long drive.
Service was really impeccable, with one glaring exception. We had an activity credit and wanted to use it to for some activities (snorkeling, etc). The concierge was less-than helpful and rushed us through the process of booking activities -- it felt more like a hard-sell and I left the concierge desk with a bad taste in my mouth. We later found out that we were given no choice between the Snorkel+SNUBA package and the cheaper snorkel-only package...just felt slimy to not have been given the option.
Overall, our stay at the Ritz was amazing and I would certainly return again, but not quite a perfect 5* experience for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on 54 acres in Kapalua, Maui, Hawaii, The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua showcases a stunning, fully-renovated destination resort offering 463 guestrooms, including 107 residential suites, warm wood floors, travertine bathrooms, flat-screen televisions and Hawaiian-inspired artwork. The spa beckons with treatment rooms framed by private garden showers, volcanic stone grottoes, heat therapies, and a fitness center with spectacular ocean views. Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ambassadors of the Environment offers all levels activities from land to sea. Also featured are six restaurants, indoor/outdoor meeting space, an inviting children's pool and luxury cabanas. It is enveloped by picturesque Kapalua Resort’s two championship golf courses, dining and a century-old pineapple plantation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, HotelPower, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua Hotel Kapalua
- Ritz Carlton Maui
- Ritz-Carlton Lahaina
- Ritz Lahaina
- Lahaina Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua Maui