“cannot wait to go back”

The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed April 11, 2004

I seriously had second thoughts about staying in this hotel based on what I read in Tripadvisor. I was worried about the rainy weather, service and damp smelling room. The Ritz Carlton, thankfully, ended up being a wonderful hotel and I should not have worried. The rooms were elegant and stately, even though I did smell dampness upon arrival, I totally forgot about it for the rest of our 10 day vacation. Every employee was courteous and was eager to help. The hotel grounds were beautiful and well cared for - and you do have to walk a ways to get to your room, but just consider it working off last night's dinner. We had wonderful weather and everyone was laying out at the beautiful pool.
The beach is small and has good waves for bodysurfing. It was nice to be a little secluded from other hotels - rather than staying at "resort row" in Lahaina where the beach is huge and beautiful but everywhere you go there's a crowd. When we return to Maui we will definitely stay at the Ritz Carlton again- they helped make our vacation truly wonderful.

1  Thank vacationer24
Write a ReviewReviews (3,600)

Reviewed March 15, 2004

Our recent stay at the Ritz was fantastic. The weather was not the best, but the resort was top notch. Kapalua resort area is beautiful.
It reminded me of northern Minnesota with it's cabins and pine trees.
The resort sits high on the hill. A Hawaiian burial site was discovered when they first started construction on the Ritz, so the hotel was moved back. There is a shuttle that will take you down to the beach and back up the hill, or its an easy walk. The beachside restaurant is great. Tiki tourches and amazing views. They will soon be open for dinner as well as lunch. The Honolua General Store is within walking distance and you can easily find a very inexpensive tasty breakfast or lunch. Take some time to get to know the history of the area, it's quite fasinating. Service at the Ritz was top notch. Everyone was happy and was there to make your vacation great. They have nightly entertainment in the lobby/bar area and it's wonderful. The pool area is large, and service at the pool is quick. They Banyon Tree restaurant which is poolside is quite cozy and has wonderfully prepared dinners.
Out room was nice and large, and the bed was very cozy. Maid service was consistant but not overly intruding. I hate when they come in and line up my personal things. The housekeeping here knew what to touch, and what to leave alone. Nothing was too much ... if you needed something just ask. We received a complimentary upgrade to ocean front with a smile upon request. Free coffee in the morning was a bonus. We even asked for a quick run by the pastry table at the buffet one morning and they simply waved us through... again with a smile. The drive into Lahaina or Kanapali was quick and easy. I highly recommend this resort to anyone visiting Maui.

2  Thank Jilliantraveler
Reviewed March 14, 2004

This resort was incredible...The golf course and hotel was the best I saw on the island of Maui. We visited other hotels, like to Marriott for their luau and liked it, but nothing we saw could top the Ritz.
Staff was wonderful. Pool is beautiful. Food very pricey though. Golf academy is highly recommended - my husband loved the one on one attention from the PGA pro/teacher. Hotel turn down service was twice a day. Beware of the additional $15 a day resort fee - take advantage of this by getting the free kona coffee and newspapers daily and using the free self-parking. This hotel is an hour from the airport...you will need a car even though the hotel offers a shuttle to only nearby shops and restaurants. Also, the spa was incredible - expensive, but well worth it.

4  Thank Isky
A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 10, 2004

Went on our honeymoon. If you are expecting a relaxing beach vacation, stay on the south (sunny) side of the island. If you are a golfer, there is no better place to stay. Beautiful rainbows. Generally, very windy and fairly cold. We tried to lay out by the pool in November and the wind was too cool. No beach area. It was about 15 degrees warmer on the south side of the island. This resort is very spread out and takes forever to walk from your room to the lobby. Overall, a fairly nice honeymoon but I would certainly do it differently if I were to do it again.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 8, 2004

I have vacationed 5 times to Maui and stayed at the Ritz-Carlton on Maui 4 times. This is by far the best Hotel on the entire island. Please ignore the other postings calling this Resort a Holiday Inn, sorry but they must be ignorant. My last vist was in July 2004, we stayed at the Ritz for 5 days then went to the Westin in Ka'anappali for 4 days for a deal to listen to a time share presentation. First, the Ka'anappali area is like Miami beach, very, very crowded, small beaches and to congested for me. Staying at the Westin was even worse, the rooms are small, dirty and never renovated and the pools were over crowed and that area reminded me of Disney World, very streeful, did not remind me of Maui. When we stayed at the Westin, we went back to the Ritz to swim in there clean, quiet pool. When I checked in at the Ritz, we were unknowing upgraded to a Suite, which was awesome. Please check out *************8. Kapalua and Honolua Bay are ranked in the best snorkeling in the WORLD. I have 2 small kids and bought a water ski belt so they were able to snorkel. Kapalua and Honolua Bay are a 5 minute free shuttle away. The Ritz-Carlton does not reside next to any resort, it sits on I am guessing at least a couple hundred acres, no other hotel in site. It does get windy in the morning but clears up. If you want to bake in the sun at 6:00am with no wind then stay at the 4 Seasons. If you want to stay at a crowed area then stay some where in Ka'anappli. The Ritz has 4 golf courses surrounding the Resort, the PGA starts off with the Mercedes in January on one of the courses. If you go you must stop at the Honolua Store, it is abouta 5 minute walk or a 1 minute drive, it is a local food store, that serves lunch and sells fresh pineaple. I have stayed at Ritz 4 times and I am currently planning trip no.5, back to Ritz for 2005. If I win the lottery, I will retire at the Ritz. Also I get the package stay 4 night and get the 5 night free and that includes 2 free brekfast buffets everyday. If you want desert like heat stay at the 4 Seasons, if you want crowds and congestion stay somewhere in Ka'anappali, if you want to relax and enjoy peace and quiet stay at the RITX-CARLTON Kapalua, Maui.

8  Thank bg616
Reviewed March 4, 2004

Compared to the five other Ritz-Carltons I've stayed at this was by far the worst. (Naples is the best!) Perhaps it is the size, with nearly 600 rooms it is the largest property, and most likely this is why the service is pitiful. This hotel is the equivalent of a Holiday Inn. I waited over an hour at the small local airport just 10 miles away because no one told me to take the Kapalua shuttle; I was waiting for the Ritz-Carlton shuttle. None exists! At arrival, I loaded my own luggage on to the cart, and when the bellmen finally decided to help he showed me to my room and literally never uttered a word. The carpet had a huge stain, the bedspreads were tattered and one of the lamps never worked. I was never given a key to the mini-bar and when requested one it showed up two days later. The bartenders were surly. At the beachside bar which is at a great distance from the hotel there were only four stools at the entire bar and when my food arrived and it was raining I had to stand and eat, when I complained the bartender actually asked another guest to stand while I used his barstool (TRUE STORY!). It was embarassing and very uncharacteristic of the whole "ladies and gentleman" philiosophy. In the terrace room for the overpriced breakfast ($38.00 for one a la carte) I cut my lip on the broken juice glass and never even received an apology or perhaps a credit to return to the restaurant. When all of this was reported to the front desk, the clerk advised he did not care as he was leaving in the morning to work at the Lake Las Vegas property. And don't bother addressing your concerns to the GM. He is newly in from the Fairmont Whistler B.C. and could care less. Perhaps he is just overwhelmed.
Combined with the poor location, constant wind and clouds and the cool June temps, I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me. Go to the Four Seasons and relish in true service and hospitality.

5  Thank Ryan.W
Reviewed March 4, 2004

From the minute we pulled onto the property, it was terrible. It took forever and a day for valet to greet us. We had to ask for our lei. Our room was ten miles from check-in. Room was not clean. Beach is ten miles from hotel. Weather is terrible on this part of the island -- rainy and windy. No poolside service to speak of -- especially when compared to Four Seasons. The breakfast buffet had flies crawling all over the food. I thought I was on Candid Camera. But no, this was actually happening! We checked out and headed for the Four Seasons the next night. Absolutely no comparing these two properties. The Four Seasons is far superior to the Ritz Kapalua. But then many Fairfield Inns I've been in are superior to the Ritz Kapalua. I just wish I could give it less than one star.

5  Thank BillVol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!