“Although Ritz was beautiful, there are better hotels on Maui with much better beach and location.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights at the end of March. The hotel, rooms & grounds are beautiful. I won't bore you with what I personally enjoyed. I just want to point out what I thought was lacking for a 5 star hotel, which may be helpful to others thinking of staying here. The pools are very nice, HOWEVER you will not find any umbrellas. The only shade you may find is the scant shade from the very tall palm trees! OR, if you are willing to fork out $100 or $300 per cabana depending on the location. The excuse given to us for no umbrellas was "for safety reasons", & to another hotel guest they told her "umbrellas are getting repaired". The beach is extremely small, and unswimmable. There are much better beaches about 15 min drive away from the hotel. The Breakfast buffet was very basic at best and only one restaurant offered breakfast. When I told our server my 14 y/o just wanted pancakes, he seemed pissed off, and said, we are very busy today. Just tell her to get it from the buffet herself and I'll charge you from the menu! I have been to Maui before and probably will go back again, but definitely not to Ritz. We did not use the Beach or the swimming pool. That defeated the whole purpose of the Hawaii vacation in my opinion!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank 4LoveofTraveling
Write a ReviewReviews (3,512)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We made our way to Kapalua and checked into the ritz carlton. First impressions were that there was no lei welcome (not the end of the world, but not the same greeting that we received at the other hotels during our trip) and the room was small. There was a decent view of the water in the distance and we caught the end of another beautiful sunset from our lanai. Spent a good bit of time at the Ritz pool. It was enjoyable outside of the pushy maui jim’s sunglasses guy who must have asked us to try on glasses at least 7 times during our stay. The mai tai cart was an interesting touch too. Ritz was generous in giving us a late checkout. We enjoyed our stay, but would consider another accommodation if we visit Kapalua again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall, my husband and I had a good stay. We stayed at the Ritz in Kapaula during the week of March 11th for our honeymoon. Since we were on our honeymoon, we were not that careful about our budget. With that being said, if we WERE on a budget, we would not stay here. The service was good and staff very friendly and eager to help, however, we did find many things overpriced. The Banyan Tree, which was highly recommended to us, for a dinner for two, dinner entree and two drinks a piece, our dinner was $268, plus tax and tip. And the food was pretty bland compared to the other restaurants we tried around the island (like Kimo's on Front St.). I've stayed in other Ritz Carlton's in years past and this was the most casual Ritz I've ever been to (but with the same sticker price) and I would attribute this to the general laid back atmosphere of Maui. This was the exact type of relaxation that my husband was looking for. If you were looking for a more "ritzier" experience, I would head over to the east side of the island and stay at the Four Seasons, which is a "true" luxurious experience. Totally check out the general store on site though! There's tons of gifts for your family there and choices for breakfast and lunch! The wine selection is solid. And the prices are not that bad compared to the rest of Maui. Oh, I do want to mention that our room was a partial ocean view (worth it) with our lanai overlooking the golf course and over looking into the summer homes to the right of the hotel. My husband and I slept soundly on our king sized bed - like sleeping on a cloud! The concierge is also very great when it comes to booking different excursions around the island. I would highly recommend going whale watching at the Pacific Whale Foundation in Maalaea.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a beautiful property with a beautiful pool area. It is a bit of a walk to access the beach area, but it has a secluded feel once you get there and there is a hotel restaurant adjacent to the beach area. Lovely special occasion restaurant close to the pool area. We celebrated my birthday there and the food and atmosphere were outstanding. This restaurant is pretty pricey, but definitely worth it for a special celebration.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

if luxury and high expectation are what you want from a hotel... don't go further... the Ritz is beautiful, attentive to your need and expectation. The property is gorgeous and reflects the reputation of a 5 stars hotel. The food is sublime and the rooms are made to make you feel special

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location of the hotel is great but the real reason to stay here is the staff. They are all the best especially the folks by the pool. Would and will stay again. Loved the fact that I could walk around a course they had laid out every morning and then eat breakfast at a little store right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Really liked this hotel, the place is just stunning on the north coast of Maui. Surrounded by golf courses and perfect beaches, this hotel is just the perfect place to be. The rooms are very clean, nice designed and cozy. The pool, breakfast and service attitude of the staff is an example for other hotels. We really liked out stay there and can just recommend the place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!