3,772 results
All reviewsthe banyan treeclub levelresidential suiteburger shackhonolua storesushi restaurantterrace restaurantkapalua areaour honeymoonfour seasonsdt fleming beachcoastal trailplantation housegeneral storelobby barbeautiful propertypool staff
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Wd have stayed at the Ritz on Maui a couple of times over the years. It is a hotel that has both good and bad qualities. On this trip I give it 5 for everything.
We first visited the Ritz on our honeymoon several years ago and absolutly fell in love with the location, vistas, people, and service. Unlike some of the other hotels on the island, this hotel is a quiet and relaxing place in Maui,
On previous stays the Ritz Kapalua was not completely up to par with many of the other very high-end Ritz hotels. I have also had some problems with the service now and then. I attribute that to the union situation at this property.
This time, however, the resort was fantastic.
The ritz's hotel grounds are beautiful and there are many nice places to walk. If you want a relaxing vacation on Maui, this is the place to visit.
I'm glad the Ritz was better this trip.

Room Tip: The larger rooms on the right side of the hotel are great for families.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed in March 2013. The service was great and the rooms are extremely nice and large. Many of them are suites. The beach is a walk down the hill but they have a shuttle that will take you back up if you don't want to walk it. Walk up the hill to the Honolua store for cheaper breakfast or lunch (and great T-shirts). There are wonderful restaurants very close and often times the hotel will shuttle you to them. Just ask them...
Loved our stay! We will go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Leflermom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua at the end of February. The hotel itself was a lovely property with a beautiful view and very nice public areas. The guest rooms was nice as well, but the hallways were "tired". Time for new carpet, the elevators was seriously confused and slow and the overall hallway feel was dark and dingy. That's too bad, because the rest of the property felt very upscale. Our guestroom was very nice, with one big exception... there were NO hooks or towel hangers in the bathroom!! There were double bars over the tub for clean towels, (keep in mind there was a separate shower unit, not one in the tub) but no other place to hang towels, or wet bathing suits! Not even for a handtowel near the sinks! Is it me, or is that just strange for a hotel? With four of us in the room, it made for a very messy bathroom - all of the time!!

The pool at the Ritz is very nice, albeit drinks are very overpriced, but what would you expect at the Ritz? Two margaritas and two smoothies for the kids came to over $50 with tip. Yikes! The gym was very well appointed and clean. The beach at the Ritz, although pretty, is a very long walk and dangerous! I couldn't relax having the kids there, so we spent our "water time" at the pool.

No fault of the Ritz, but the weather in Kapalua was interesting. There was a perpetual rain cloud hanging over the Ritz and the winds were sometimes unbearable at the pool. The way the buildings are situated, makes for a perfect wind tunnel coming up off the ocean. Between that and the raincloud, made it less than desireable for a "Hawaiian" vacation. Each day you could drive 10 minutes down the road and be out of the rainclouds and wind... very strange. Also, if you are the type that wants to be convenient to off resort activities.. reconsider your stay at the Ritz. The hotel is a long way away from activities. We spent a lot of time in our car just driving, which isn't ideal on vacation.

My final beef... the $18 daily resort fee that is charged at check out on top of normal room fees. When I inquired I was told it was to cover the "complimentary" services such as internet, coffee and tea in the room, the van shuttle service etc. Not for nothing, but I thought the word "complimentary" generally meant it was just that. Wish I'd known, i would have been sure to use some of these services!!

Anyway, we were not unhappy with our stay, but there was enough negative that it is very unlikely that we would stay at the Ritz in Kapalua again.

Room Tip: Ocean View offered as good of view as Ocean Front
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Zandbandt
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I guess some people just enjoy complaining...we stayed at the Ritz for 5 days before moving on and had a wonderful time so I am not sure what the complaints have been about.

The hotel staff was attentive. The decor was beautiful and the rooms were nice and big. We enjoyed the pool and the ocean. We watched whales jumping in the distance and did a hike along the shoreline on the lava rocks. It is also just down the road from Lahania and Kaanapali.

The only thing I might suggest is to heat the pool a little warmer in the spring months. It was quite cold and unenjoyable.

We have a time share at the Marriot in Kaanapali so it was fun to try something different.

We really enjoyed our trip and would gladly return!

Room Tip: We had a garden suite...you could still see the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Pf9862
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. This was the perfect place to spend it, they have a private beach, which is great because you don't have to deal with all the tourist. They also have nice lunch spot to eat at that overlooks the ocean, but it is a bit pricy for what it is. Each room has a balcony that is great for in the morning to sit out on. The location is great the area is not over crowded and you feel like your getting away.They also have some great pools to swim in and at night they have hammocks in the trees to look at the stars.The rooms are nice they have recently been remodeled and look great the bathroom is nice ad there shampoo smells amazing. Room service is wonderful and I told them ahead of time that we were here in our honeymoon and they had strawberries and champaign waiting when we arrived, and the staff is super friendly ad will help you with anything. Overall it was a wonder place to stay, again it is costly but then again it is the Ritz.

• Stayed: October 2012