We have been coming to the Ritz at Kapalua for over 10 years and it is like a second home to us, as we visit the Maui several times a year. Maybe it is because we are there so often that we have noticed a decline in the hotel over the recent couple of years.
The hotel did a major renovation a few years back, but there are items that are already starting to show wear, and some others that were ignored that need help.
In general the hotel seems to be cutting back on services, and the little things, not sure if times are tough or what, but at a hotel that should never show. The hallway rugs were in need of cleaning on our last visit. The gym equipment is getting pretty sad, rusty, old and very outdated. The pool shows the most wear and tear and honestly it is shocking that a Ritz hotel would allow it to be the way it is. This is the one area that was not updated in the last renovation. The entire time were were there in December 2012, the pool had obvious algae growth, which could be seen up close and from the room balconies even worse. It looked as if the pool had not been cleaned for weeks. All the umbrellas around the pool were also gone. The towels at the pool could also be newer, fresher.
The pool menu also needs some improvements, additions. It seems silly that you can't get the food offered at the beach cafe at the pool and vice versa, how about just combining the menus?, so basically there is one or two salads to choose from, one burger you get the idea. So after 2-3 days you are looking for other options.
They closed the sushi restaurant in the lobby, it was always empty so I get why, but they have not replaced it with another option.
One suggestion for saving a few bucks, how about turning off the A/C in the lobby! It is absolutely freezing all the time, 24/7, and all the walls open to the outside, so why bother with a/c, it is a waste of energy and money, there is no need, its Hawaii after all, its rarely hot in Kapaula and the air conditioning is on so full blast that we could not even hang out in the lobby for drinks and desert, maybe the food on that level would be busier if it were more comfortable. I actually had to go back to the room to get a sweater one evening so we could wait for friends.
The rooms here are very nice, large enough to relax, large balconies as well. The bathrooms are very large, great for two people, double sinks, baths and showers. If you get one of the suites on the East side wing, you will get a kitchen as well. These rooms were redone and sold as timeshares, but most are still being rented by the hotel.
The pool area is large with several levels, and a kids pool. Just be prepared for major winds. Kapalua gets the brunt of the wind, and the pool area can get it pretty bad because of the shape of the hotel. The beach area is just down the hill, a short walk, or take the tram.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on 54 acres, The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua showcases a stunning, fully-renovated destination resort offering 463 guestrooms, including 107 residential suites, warm wood floors, travertine bathrooms, flat-screen televisions and Hawaiian-inspired artwork. The spa beckons with treatment rooms framed by private garden showers, volcanic stone grottos, heat therapies, and a fitness center with spectacular ocean views. Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ambassadors of the Environment offers all levels activities from land to sea. Also featured are six restaurants, indoor/outdoor meeting space, an inviting children's pool and luxury cabanas. It is enveloped by picturesque Kapalua Resort’s two championship golf courses, dining and a century-old pineapple plantation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua Hotel Kapalua
- Ritz Carlton Maui
- Ritz Lahaina
- Ritz-Carlton Lahaina
- Lahaina Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua Maui