“Hawaii with Style”

The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you want service with class this is your spot. Arriving from the airport you pull under the open air lobby and are greeted professionally with the Hawaiian touch. The lobby is inviting, the Alaloa Lounge is one your right, and a great view of the pools and the ocean down at the bottom of the complex awaits exploring. If you want a getaway with family, friends, business, wedding parties, or a quiet time with someone special this is a great hotel. Service is outstanding, the breakfast at The Terrace is outstanding, with a wide variety of fresh fruit, omlettes on demand, everything fresh and enough to till you up for most of the day, great before golfing, and outting, you name it. Concierge was very helpful in renting a car, even a particular style of car with no problems. They were very helpful in setting up tours and recommedations around the island. The resort is built on a hill so you may have to take elevators down from the lobby to your room. The ocean and nearby tennis courts are a short down hill walk and service is available if you wish to ride on a golf cart. DT Fleming Beach is connected to the resort and The Beach House by the water offfers local flavors and coctails. Golfing is outstanding with dramatic views of the water and nearby Molokai. This resort is top notch so plan your budget accordingly, but it is a must visit and if you want to get away from the crowded beaches elseware and the staff and patrons respect your privacy. Lahaina is a short 15-20 minute drive and is a must visit for shopping and gifts. Overall The Ritz Carlton is one of the best on Maui and I highly recommend it for that special occasion!

Room Tip: Ask either for a poolside or tennis court views, the other wing of the hotel would also offer views...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank marada

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is the third time, at least, I have stayed here. It really is in need of an upgrade but I suspect the years of a dour economy have had their toll on 5 star hotels as well. Actually, I am still here listening to the room next door cause the walls are so thin.

They have self-park but you don't know there is a ten dollar daily charge until you are at check-in. There is a 25 dollar resort fee. So, they are playing the game of most hotels now and luring you in with lower reates and goughing you on the extras. The rooms are nice but dated as are the common areas.

The workout room has good equipment but it shows the wear and tear of salt ocean air and poor maintenance. The breakfast buffet was quite good but even after being here almost a week I dont know what dinner options they have. The sushi restaurant hasnt been open yet?

The staff seem well trained and are helpful. The maid service is a bit shoddy and related to the size of the tip. I generally tip maid service well cause I think they are the most under-appreciated servers around.

I have reviewed this hotel before but forgot just how windy it is here....constantly. There are nice beaches nearby specially Kapalua and Kapili. Kaanapali and Lahaina are typical tourist towns and really have no redeeming qualities if you are not into overpriced jewelry stores and t-shirt shops. And to be honest I find the local restaurants scary.

The grounds are stunning and well maintained. The road to Hana is not to be missed. Overall I likely wont be back to this hotel and I suspect that in the near future I will read it has changed hands and become a Marriott or Hyatt.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank gktmd22
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was my wife's and my second time here. The room was immaculate and well appointed with conveniences such as nice toiletries and a charging station for all your gadgets on the side of the TV stand (I wish they told us about that and we didn't have to find it). The pool area is the best laid out pool complex that we have ever been to as it can accomodate many people, but still feels intimate due to the tiered levels and many pools (three large pools, one adults only, two jacuzzis, one childrens pool). There is a walk to the beach, but there are golf carts that will pick you up at the restaurants at either side (pool bar, beach bar). DT Fleming beach is perfect for the family. The restaurants, in general are very good, although there is a somewhat limited variety from each. One really nice touch is they pipe in a mild pineapple smell into the main lobby area!

The only reasons I did not rate this five stars is there are some maintenance issues such as carpet looking old, the pools are dirty and have some cracked and loose tiles and some of the restaurants are understaffed (we waiting for 15 minutes in the Aloha Lounge and were never even greeted so we went elsewhere).

All things considered, this was a wonderful place to stay for a relaxing vacation!

Room Tip: Closer to lobby area for shorter walks. All rooms have great views!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just completed our stay a the Ritz and what can I say? It's a Ritz! Everything about the place is top notch. The staff is some of the friendliest and most helpful staff I have seen in my years of travel.
The hotel itself is very beautiful and in a great location. The property itself is well maintained and the hotel has a gorgeous view of the water and a nice beach area at the bottom of the property. They say it's about a mile walk to the beach, and it doesn't look that far, but I guess it is. On the entrance road to the hotel are a number of shops including a general market where you can buy souvenirs, snacks and groceries. I think they also had prepared food. The pool is beautiful! We are pool people and love to hang by the pool in the afternoon. It was relaxing and there were plenty of chaises available. There is pool side service providing drinks and food. (the server was a real charmer! LOL!) There is also a play area for kids near the kiddie pool for those with small children.
The room itself was very comfortable. It was a basic room and was not huge, but was very comfortable. The bedding and furniture was very nice. It was also immaculately clean! (I don't say that often) Other than one small mark on the chair, I couldn't find anything unclean about the place! They mopped the floors regularly and you could tell they had recently cleaned the drawers of the dresser as it looked like someone had just used furniture polish in it! The only complaint we had a bout the room was that the bedside lights 'flickered'...we requested the staff to look into this, but forgot to remove the DND sign and so they didn't enter to check it out. However, the staff left us a message to this effect and checked that we didn't want to have it looked into. We were only a day away from leaving at this point, so we didn't bother, but this was really our fault for not persuing it further.
My husband however, didn't care for the condition of the carpeting in the hallways. I felt that was 'picking' a bit. Yes, it is well worn and even a bit discolored, but you could tell the vacuum and shampoo it often so it didn't upset me at all. Besides, I wasn't sleeping on the hallway carpet! :)
We ate breakfast a few of the days at their restaurant and enjoyed it very much, however it's a bit pricy! It was $32/pp but offered a wide variety of breakfast items and included made to order eggs benedict - which made hubby happy! Oh and great coffee! Once or twice we ventured a few miles down the road to McDonalds...and got breakfast there.
Within a few miles (south) of the hotel are a couple of supermarkets. You could easily stock up on a few snacks and such and keep them in the mini fridge in the room.
Overall a fantastic stay! Relaxing, not over crowded feeling...nothing bad to say here! They deffinetely pay attention to the 'little' details.

Room Tip: The property is HUGE...if you are not up to the maze of hallways and a lot of walking, I would sugge...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MiddleAgedTravlrs
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

This is a top notch establishment that understands the meaning of hospitality and quality. I am writing this review before my stay is even over because I am so confident in this place.
Everything has exceeded my expectations. I have dietary restrictions and all have been accommodated. I have really not had to ask for anything because they understand the needs and comforts of their guests and provide for them. Location is gorgeous, amenities are first class. If I could give this resort a sixth diamond, I would!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank CaLiberty1
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Went to Maui over Thanksgiving with friends. The Ritz Carlton is what you'd expect from a Ritz Carlton-- luxurious, great service and expensive.

The room was beautiful, the property is a true paradise, Spa was heavenly, golf had great views (I didn't even care how bad I played!).

I only wish it wasn't as far to everything else as it is.

Love it!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Luisa_SF
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Nicely laid out Ritz carlton resort in Maui. It is in Kapalua, so away from all the hustle and bustle, has a private beach, the hotel is spaced out nicely so its not overcrowded especially when you have families around. The pool is big, they have a nice ground for golf, walking and jogging. Overall a good property.

Room Tip: Try to get the club room, you get practically everything for free, they have a good afternoon tea an...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank adrah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!