“I should have gone to the Four Seasons”

The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kapalua
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Having just returned from a year abroad, I was looking forward to celebrating a weekend away with my fiancee (now wife) at a nice hotel. After deciding to splurge a little, a close friend of mine and his wife joined us to celebrate their own anniversary. We arrived at the hotel and after a warm reception, moved to the check-in line. Noticing the empty hotel lobby, I figured it would be a speedy check it since it was obvious that it was a slow weekend. After 15 minutes of standing at the desk, we were finally seen and checked in.

Let's move onto the rooms: Although making the SAME reservations for the SAME type of room, we were split over different parts of the property. Our room was mediocre, at best, while they stayed in a suite. The room next to theirs? Vacant.

Time for checkout: Yes, it's the Ritz... but please let your guests know about the extra little charges.

Customer Survey: I filled out the customer satisfaction survey and received a response from Emma Victoria Smithson, Executive Assistant Manager, Rooms requesting a phone conversation. I responded with my number and received no calls. I followed up several times and still haven't gotten a call back.

We should have gone to the Four Seasons.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank chocolate_warrior
Write a ReviewReviews (3,566)

Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is a very nice resort with everything you could want. Yes, it's a little far, but if you play golf it's heaven! The pools were a little hard to navigate, the beach is a little far, and room service food is poor, but those are the only downsides. Thus the reason it gets four stars instead of 5. The hotel is beautiful, great service, very nice staff and it's on a great golf course. It's far from some things, like the road to Hana, volcano, etc. It's perfect if you play golf, snorkel or want to be on a private beach with no one around. I would recommend this hotel to friends and would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hilandl
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed at Kapalua Villas and were able to use the Ritz-Carlton pool. We were very
impressed with the service and attention to detail, kindness and positive attitude displayed by the Poolside cocktail server Luke. The Ritz is very luck to have him as an employee.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2012

So my initial impulse is to give the hotel 3 stars, but that isn't really fair. I was just really disappointed based on previous expereinces with this hotel. The last 2 Ritz's I've stayed at have had the exact same problem - the service. I gave the last one a break and didn't review it, hoping it was an off week or something, but after this trip as well, I am a little over the hotel brand.

This is a "5 Star" hotel which should mean that the property is beautiful, the rooms are fantastic, and the service is above expectations. 1 out of 3 isn't bad, but definitely not 5 star worthy. I stayed here previously and as usual, I have literally been dreaming about coming back and counting down the days to my return. Unfortunately, this most recent visit was a totally different experience.

So, after getting stuck in a 4 hour traffic jam from the airport to the hotel, I was within 30 minutes of missing a dinner reservation which I was unable to extend. 30 minutes to check in, shower and change is cutting it close but not impossible. After check in (without any introduction to the property or orientation offered - which was surprising, however not a problem since I had stayed there previously) I mentioned that the bellmen had my bags and I needed them immediately or I could go grab them myself. I was assured that they would arrive promptly. I arrived at my room and it actually stunk, as in musty, dirty and smoky. I figured I would just deal with it and air out the room while I went to dinner since I was in a hurry. After 25 minutes of waiting, my bags hadn't arrived and I called the belldesk and was informed they were on there way. After another 10 minutes I was walking out the door to just leave anyway, and the bags showed up as I was walking out. So, I got to have a nice dinner at a great restaurant without having time to grab a shower and in my travel clothes that I had been in for 16 hours already. That was the last time I used the bell service.

The next morning, since the service at the hotel seemed generally lackluster, I decided to call the valet 20 minutes before I needed my car just in case to have it ready, because I had a tour scheduled for Haleakala early in the morning. Nobody was at the bell/valet desk when I tried to contact them. I was able to get a hold of the hotel operator who said it would be taken care of. Good thing I called so early, because my car showed up as I was walking out the door. That was the last time I used the valet service.

At the pool and beach (and this hasn't changed since the last time I was here) nobody sets up chairs or a place for you. There are never any attendants walking by to check on you. I appreciate it not being Vegas style and having waitresses hound you all afternoon, but it would be nice to be able to not have to get up for water every half hour or a drink/food all of the time. I got up and got drinks on my own at the beach house, and the bartender was not very nice. None of the waitresses or bartender followed up with us to ask how our drinks were or if we would like another.

Other examples of typical encounters with hotel staff:
I aked for a wine bottle opener when I was at the front desk. It was never sent down. I had to ask the maid for one when she stopped by for turn down service.
I asked for the front desk to break down my room charges from my extra charges because there seemed to be a discrepancy in the amount that they had credited my account from the deposit I had left, that was based on the total room charge with all taxes. The front desk agent was unable to do the math or use the computer to split it up so I just decided to pay the entire bill and follow up with the hotel via a customer service line.
The concierge who helped me with activities, while knowledgable and proficient, was distracted and I had to repeat myself numerous times before our transaction was over.
Not once did anyone besides a phone operator greet me by name or recognize me. (I was pretty sure this was one of the things this hotel prided itself on. Every time I have stayed here in the past they have figured out my name and greeted me in person after the first day or two.)

Basically, at the end of the day, this is a beautiful property that has all the potential of 5 stars but none of the service associated with it right now to be considered such. And after my last experience at a Ritz in combination with this, I am pretty sure I will be canceling my next reservation at the Ritz in Cancun in November.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank JuliaLin
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We are going for our honeymoon and called the front desk to make sure that our trip is gonna be fine. The lady who took my call treated me like i am a piece of [--]. I told her that we are spending thousands of dollars at the Ritz and this is not the type of customer service i expected. I got so pissed off that i almost cancelled the trip and booked one at The four seasons. The told my fiancee that someone wil call us back. No one called us back. This is not the service i would expect from a Ritz Carlton!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Frank F
Reviewed September 2, 2012

THE HOTEL

Well, reading alot of these incredulous reviews before I got here, I was almost afraid to help my parents book ANY hotel on the island, every hotel has it's bad side, so I don't understand why everyone is all freaked out about the slightest bit of dust. Though they're probably other businesses writing bad reviews to get people to come over there, I know 4 Seasons and The Westin both do that. This is a GREAT hotel to go to if you're a newlywed, if you're a family, or even alone, there are spacious rooms, nice balconies, and nice bathrooms in the rooms. The concierge is very helpful and knows their stuff. Also every room has a bit of an ocean view, some more than others but they all do. There's was a nice little mini-fridge in our room, and our room had a great partial mountain partial ocean view. The beds are nice and the rooms are not individually owned like in other places so there isn't a chance you'll get a run-down room. And unlike some of these reviews say, the beach is very nice, just don't go too far into the sides, it is rocky there, the center is great for swimming and bodyboarding, snorkeling is really fun on the sides, just start heading out in the middle because it's rocky. The pool cabana service is nice unlike what one review said, yes, if you sit in some areas the people may not come very easily, just call them over or just remember that they have a whole bunch of other guests to serve too. Also, order a smoothie at the pool, they are very good, and the quesadillas are a nice portion size even if they're on the appetizer list. Dining option is limited to 4 places; The Terrace is great for breakfast, The Aloloa for a light dinner, The Kai for sushi, and The Banyan Tree by the pool. The only downside? It's a bit pricier than some other hotels on the island, but it's worth it, so, I guess it really doesn't have much of a downside. Besides, there are some great deals on this hotel online so be on the lookout. If you're a Costco member, go there.Oh yeah, by the way DO NOT TAKE THE SHORT ROUTE TO THE HOTEL, GO THE ROAD THE LONG WAY THROUGH THE CITIES NAPILI, LAHAINA, AND KAANAPALI, EVEN IF THE GPS TELLS YOU TO GO THE OTHER WAY. This happened to us and we were on a 2 hour trip at 9 pm driving on the edge of a cliff where one wrong turn and we'd all fall into the ocean. Go the long way, it's a longer distance but only takes about 30 minutes.

THINGS TO DO THAT ARE CLOSE BY

-Snorkeling at Napili Beach; it’s around a 15 minute drive to the beach, it’s a quiet, scenic beach with many turtles, you are guaranteed to see at least 1 turtle if you’re snorkeling at Napili, when I went, there were 7. Also try Kaanapali and Kapalua Bay, Kaanapali is a bit crowded for Maui standards but it has very nice coral by black rock, Kapalua Bay has plenty of beauiful fish.
-Walk to Kapalua Bay from the hotel; great scenic views
-Surfing at Kaanapali; I heard Lahaina's good too but I haven't tried it. But there are some nice waves at Kaanapali. Many on-beach businesses give out lessons too. And you're guaranteed to learn after the first one
-Helicopter Rides; super great views
-Swim at D.T. Fleming; this is the hotel's beach, it's great!
-Old Lahaina Luau; classic hawaiian luau, great performance, great value, great food, the only thing I wish there was, was fire dancing. They don't have that since it's not traditional hawaiian. If you absolutely have to have fire dancing, try the Feast at LeLe, which is also nearby the hotel.

GREAT NEARBY RESTAURANTS

-Star Noodle; friendly service, great food. But it's crowded, remember to make a reservation.
-Pineapple Grill; great breakfast!
-5 Palms
-The Hula Grill; 2 different menus-barefoot bar menu and indoor menu
-Maui Fish and Pasta

OTHER NICE HOTELS

-The Marriot; this hotel would be nice for a cheaper alternative without getting rid of too much quality, of course, the Ritz is much more luxurious but the Marriot is cheaper, and it is on Kaanapali Beach.
-4 Seasons; more expensive, and I think less value, but it is still nice and depending on the person, this would be best for some.
-Hyatt; I was about to book this one, but a whole bunch of bad reviews led me to choose the Ritz. Which was the better decision, but we decided to take a look around for future reference, it's lavish and luxurious, and if you're looking to spare some pocket change, go here.
-Honua Kai; big family? then go here, it's luxurious and spacious with many bedrooms depending on what you buy, the only downside is you're gambling on how nice the room will be, since each room is individually owned, some are in better condition than others.

Room Tip: You don't need to ask for an upgrade, all rooms are great, though a room on level L (6) or level...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
16  Thank Lolve
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Everything about this hotel was amazing. The staff was excellent. Our bellman was very knowledgeable; upon check-in we received a lei and a complimentary beverage. Our room was just what we wanted, large with a beautiful balcony that had an even better view.

My wife and I were there for our anniversary, and the staff sent a complimentary bottle of champagne and a cheese plate to help us celebrate. When we had an itch to leave the property the concierge was very knowledgeable and gave us great recommendations for food and activities.

Being a special occasion we splurged and got club lounge access. The food was great, the drinks were better (get a mai tie), and the staff very friendly and helpful.

This is the type of property where you go to get away; it is very secluded and spread out. Expect to have a short walk down to the beach or the restaurant. Speaking of the restaurant, it was delicious. We ate there on our last night and both the food and the staff were amazing.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Seminollrb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapalua
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua? Share your experiences!