“Cheap day in the sun snorkling”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kapalua Resort

Kapalua Resort
Ranked #11 of 16 things to do in Kapalua
More attraction details
Owner description: This resort offers three championship courses: The Bay, The Village and The Plantation.
Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Cheap day in the sun snorkling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

Want to have a cheap day in Maui? Rent at Snorkle Bobs, $8.00/day & drive down to Kapalua Bay. There's ample free parking, clean bathrooms & outdoor showers to rinse off sand before you leave. Take a small cooler & stop at the Honolua General Store (same resort, you'll drive by on the road to beach) to pick up lunch, drinks, snacks. They have all manor of fresh baking, fresh fruit, burgers, salads and are super friendly. There's lots of outdoor seating if you want to eat right there. Make sure you take an underwater camera (buy a disposible for cheap) because the snorkling is awesome. Saw a Giant Turtle just off the beach. I also noticed the beach is dog friendly if you want to bring a pals. Had so much fun we came back the next day.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank sunnydaye D

Houston, Texas
“Awesome experience, especially for first timer zipliners”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2011

Was somewhat nervous, having never been ziplining before. Our guide Dennis and his team were very knowledgeable and made it easy to do. Even though I was really scared at first, their attention to safety and patience made it all worthwhile. I would highly recommend this adventure to anyone. We had a steady drizzle and strong crosswinds the entire time. They provide a rain jacket but I would highly recommend bringing along rain pants as well, as I was absolutely soaked by the end.

Visited December 2011
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great view, poor service. Doing it once is enough.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

Plantation golf course at Ritz Carlton:

Called ahead to make sure they had shower facilities with towels.  There was no attendant in locker room but a basket with used towels indicated some existed. Asked staff where you picked up cart and they spent 20 minutes trying to find one.  In the end, all they could do was give us several hand towels they put on the golf carts.

Last time we saw drink cart was on about hole 7 and we finished round by 5:30pm, 1.5 hours before sundown.

Not having some kind of bar nuts in louge area was disappointing as well.  I wanted to have a drink, but did not have time to wait on an appetizer to be served and wanted just aLittle something to eat with it.  Bar tender said high place class did serve such.  Unusual since when I was at the Ritz Calton in Orlando, FL for a week the prior month they had them.

Whitehorse, Yukon
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Highly recommend Ridge Villas, and renting through Ridge Realty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

We normally stay in Kihei, and decided to spend some time in the northwestern area of Maui. We booked a condo through Ridge Realty, and the folks there were wonderful to deal with! Got a gorgeous condo through their website, and it was a very smooth rental transaction. Kapalua Bay and Fleming Beach were a bit too rough for swimming (at least for me!), but Napili Bay is closeby and is perfect for snorkeling and for swimming.

The area is beautiful, and very quiet. Lots of hiking opportunities in the trail system that goes from Kapalua to Napili. Honolua Store is a great place for breakfast lunch - and has a nice selection of bread, pastries, fruit (and sundries/souvenirs).

The weather in Kapalua tends to be more overcast, often showers throughout the day. And it can be windy! But it's a nice spot to get away from the chaos of Kaanapali and Kihei.

Visited March 2011
2 Thank WhitehorseTraveller
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Resort is beautiful, Staff are rude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

I have just come back from my honeymoon, we went to Las Vegas then Ohau and then on to Maui for a week of relaxation.
We rented a car from enterprise as the drive from the main airport is about an hour. The drive is beautiful, when we were picking up our rental car our bus driver mentioned beach 14 (named beach 14 because it is opposite the mile 14 mark on route 30), as a good spot to go to as it is very calm to swim in the sea and the reef is nearby to look at any sealife. We unfortunately did not have time to do this, but I thought it may be helpful.
When we got to Kapalua Resort the sign posts are unclear and we ended up going up and down the main road a few times before we saw the sign for the office.
We checked in with a lady who was busy rushing through telling us everything at a million miles per hour, and did not want to listen to any questions we had. I asked if we had an ocean view room and she snapped of course. We asked if my handwritten hotel pass could be put in my married name. I was told that we had booked it over six months ago in my maiden name, so tough luck it would be in my maiden name. This I felt was rude, in every hotel we had gone to, the check in staff had said congratulations as a minimum to greet us. Our travel agent had rung every hotel we were going to, to remind them we were on our honeymoon.
After the check-in staff had made me cry we then went to our villa, we were staying on the ridge. Our Villa was fantastic, we had an amazing view, really spacious villa.

The maids come daily, sometimes they bring you new coffee and sometimes they don't. It was hard to determine what time they would come, being on our honeymoon we did not appreciate the two mornings they came at 9am. We tried locking the door and they would ring the bell constantly until you answered. There was no privacy door sign as stated in the handbook.
In the handbook it also states that there are computers to use in the Kapalua Resort by concierge, this is part of your room surcharge ( as was the daily coffee), when we asked at reception they said they no longer had the computers and that we could use the Ritz Carlton Business Centre. So we popped down to the Ritz Cartton to use there facilities, as it was out of business hours there was no one to ask. They asked for a pin or you could pay by credit card. As we were being charged for internet access on daily basis we assumed we must have free internet access there, so up to reception we went. Kapalua Resort reception asked if there was a code we needed for the computer, we were told we had to pay. At this point my husband got a little angry as in the handbook and their website is clearly states guests have access to the internet in their villas and at the resort office. The staff member we spoke to said they were fully aware that it still stated this and that yes they should change this. The did offer any e-mails that we needed could be sent to them but we would need to forward them, when asked how exactly we would forward e-mails on to them they replied log on your e-mail account.
The wifi in our villa could not be accessed by our i phone, not even when we turned it on and off again.
On a positive note towels and sun beds on the beach were a good touch and the guy that ran the beach hut recognized us after day one.
For my husbands birthday we went to Merrimans, we used the shuttle, no problems there. The restaurant was fantastic, the service was amazing and the food was melt in the mouth. No need to dress up, but do book as it was rammed when we went. We charged our meal to our room.
When check out occurred we checked the charges, noticed the meal was missing we mentioned this to the lady, obviously not listening told us to sign it and then disappeared. We have since had an e-mail from the hotel telling us off and they have charge it to us.
Over all if you can avoid coming in to contact with the resort staff then you will have a lovely time, if not I would book the Ritz Carlton, as they seem to have preferential treatment.

Visited April 2011