“Worth the hour's bus ride from Seoul to see the heart of pottery-making in Korea.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Icheon World Ceramics Center

Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Icheon
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of Korea’s oldest and most prized art forms is ceramics and at Icheon World Ceramics Center (about an hour from Seoul) you can see more than 500 different creations. It is a great place to buy ceramics at heavily discounted prices and there are even classes teaching visitors how to make their own work of art.
Singapore
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

My husband and I took a local bus from Gangnam Bus interchange (Gangbyeon subway station) and the ride was cheap and comfortable. You get off at Icheon bus terminal, and just hop into a cab to go to the Wirld Ceramucs Center. My husband and I thought that we could walk... So we did and enjoyed ourselves. But I won't recommend because it took over an hour and we were huffing and puffing. By then we spent precious time walking and were in an exhausted state of mind.

But the Center made up for all the sweat!! It was gorgeous and I spent an enjoyable hour having a class (~US$10) on using ceramic chips to make a picture. The teacher made up for her limited English with peals of laughter and enthusiasm for her craft. I bought a cup made by a resident artist and took a pic with her. How meaningful to support local artists!

My husband and I then took a cab to the pottery village where there were clusters of shops selling celadon at very reasonable prices. In fact be expected to pay as much as 60% less vs shops in Seoul. The creativity of the local artists are so inspiring... I bought heaps of work to decorate my home, and as gifts for others. My only limit was my flight luggage allowance and the bus ride back. :-)

I think Icheon is the supplier for many shops selling pottery in town. So why not spend a meaningful day out of Seoul and take the path less trodden? Just a note that you should have lunch at the Center before heading off to pottery villae cos we found it difficult to find restaurants. Cab fare from pottery village back to Icheon bus terminal was about US$8-10.

It will be useful to get your hotel concierge to write in large print the Korean names of the places, cos level of English proficiency kinda takes a dip outside Seoul. But I didn't speak a single word of Korean and still found it easy to navigate! Highly recommended.

10 Thank kokonuk