“Great Place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Upper Hutt
Harcourts Holiday Park
Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
“Great Place to stay”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here recently for two nights - the room was lovely and warm and although a little cramped was still ideal for our purpose. The shower was really nice & we would stay here again in the future without hesitation

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tourist Flat & would definately book it again.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lorna H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Scottsdale Arizona
Reviewed July 4, 2012

In the Wellington bedroom community of Upper Hutt there is a great place to stay, a hidden gem….the Harcourt Holiday Park. The setting is absolutely beautiful, the layout of the buildings uncrowded the park uncluttered and all of it off the road far enough to be away from all highway noise.

They have motel units, tourist flats, campsites, RV sites … a complete range of accommodation. We selected a “tourist flat” meaning it was a self-contained unit where blankets and pillows were provided but we provide our own linen. The ensuite bathroom was sufficiently big enough for our needs. We were completely comfortable, this unit has a stove top, oven, microwave, TV, sink, fridge, kettle and all the pots, pans, dishware and cutlery you need for an extended stay.

There are amenities buildings with a coin-op laundry, a large kitchen, toilets and showers for those who are traveling either in camper vans, RVs or who select units that are not self-contained.

This is an owner-operated park and they are welcoming and genuinely happy to have you staying with them. It’s clear, by their thorough maintenance, that they have pride in their park.

As an added benefit, nearby (walking distance) is a beautiful and well maintained (though apparently not often used) park ground. This park was used during the filming of Lord of the Rings as Isengard. We visited the park everyday for 4 days, never encountering more than one other couple.

On our previous trip we stayed at a Top 10 Holiday Park in Lower Hutt (another Wellington bedroom community). It was good, but frankly, not as good as the Harcourt. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: New heat pumps were installed on motel units 1 and 3 while we were there. Our room was comfortable w...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TomCincinnatus
Wanganui, New Zealand
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed here this weekend for one night.
Although I realize this is a holiday park and I wasnt expecting much I was still disappointed. The room was really cold and it stunk. The sheets and bedding all smelled musty and mildewy (if that's a word) and we're really not a fussy family. There wasn't a lot of space at all. I was going to complain to the manager but when we left at 915am the office was closed - pleased it was now that I've read the other reviews.
Would not stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank EggGirl

Travelers are raving about these Upper Hutt hotels

Travelling
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We spent 4 nights here with our 3 children and were very disapointed, it was the worst holiday park we have visited in NZ and now reading the other reviews I wish I had read them first!

The owner was unfriendly and unhelpful in fact pretty unpleasant. There were no facilities for children at all. There is a neighbouring park but is not part of the holiday park which children can use but this is open to the public and not so safe for young children to go alone.

We were booking the family cabin and as it was occupied for the first night of our trip he offered us a tourist flat instead at the same rate which we accepted, it was adequate but it smelt bad of damp and while it had a brand new tv the cooking facilities were poor. When i went to the office to say our tv wasnt working in case there was something i needed to do he said that I wouldnt have been able to watch tv if i was in the family cabin anyway! he did eventually fix it later but had an unpleasant attitude.

We found the kitchen had no pots/pans/plates/ etc and as we are not carrying these while travelling due to space restrictions (3 kids - small car!) we were really stuck then on exploring we found another kitchen with all this stuff in so used that one, until the manager told us we were not allowed to use it as it wasnt for us!!!! my husband explained we had nothing with us and couldnt cook for our children but he basically said tough luck you should have seen it on the website!

All in all really terrible customer service, an unpleasant owner/manager who clearly doesnt want repeat business! oh and an electrical sub-station pretty much in the site made for a crappy stay and I would definitely not recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: choose another holiday park there are sooo many good ones :)
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank LucyFTravelling
Auckland
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed here in my campervan with my 2 dogs and would have to advise others not to do the same. When I accidentally dropped the lead of one of my dogs for a few seconds, the manager accused me of flouting the rules of the camp and asked me to leave. When I refused (it was already dark and I didn't know the area) he called the police, who wisely declined to come. He then overtly threatened me by saying he would "take matters into his own hands". Although I am a grandmother in my seventies I did not allow him to intimidate me but he was definitely skulking around and spying on me so I camped very close to other campers.
Tha camp itself was OK for me but the manager is a very dodgy character.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Phillies69
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed December 21, 2011

i have to agree with the others The man who runs this camp is a hot head and it does not take much to set him off , i dare you go and ask him a question even. Some people have been running camps to long and should not be the ones who first represent their area .
We used to stay here a few times a year but have not been back .
Hes great at losing customers .

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank goodstock
Glasgow
Reviewed November 19, 2011

stayed in 1 bed unit which had double and single in bedroom and sofa bed in lounge (which was barely big enough for it to fold out) had to move the dining table everytime and left no space to get to the kitchen area. units were cold but heaters and blankets were provided. narrow bathroom. kitchen was ok but not very good for cooking we landed up using the communual stove. the unit we were in was dark and not really big enough for 3 adults. ok price and fairly close to wellington/ upper hutt city. suitable mainly for 1 night where you don't want to cook! did have the usual toaster/kettle/microwave and fridge. the tiniest of tvs for size of room! could hear every noise from the unit next door- not so good!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
#2 of 6 in Upper Hutt
No photo provided
Bristol Motel
#2 of 2 in Upper Hutt

Been to Harcourts Holiday Park? Share your experiences!