“The first unfriendly welcome I've had in NZ!”
Review of Cafe Romeo

Cafe Romeo
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
London
“The first unfriendly welcome I've had in NZ!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is the first unfriendly welcome I've had in NZ, so feel this place deserves a special mention!

I arrived about 8.30am ordered a coffee and asked for the wifi password. Friendly young waitress, decent coffee.

At 10.00am I was accosted by an older chap who asked if I was using the wifi in an aggressive manner and asked how long I'd been there (accusing me of being there more than 2 hours...) I ordered another coffee.

At 10.50 am another nice waitress came to me embarrassed and said her manager asked me to leave as I was using the wifi (the older chap?)

I pointed out that the place was 2/3rds empty, and that had they been more welcoming I was about to order lunch.

So 2 bad marks for the dolt who runs the place: don't offer wifi if it's going to annoy you if people use it! And think ahead before you chase one of your few customers away.

I relocated to the Golden Arches up the road. Decent coffee / cheaper, and no stress about the wifi.

My first bad experience in NZ as people usually über friendly. So on balance I would avoid and go to one of the many other cafes with more switched on owners!

“Always good”
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

We eat here regularly and it it's always nice. They are always willing to change things on the menu to accommodate our dietary restrictions.

Wellington, New Zealand
“Great cafe for a brunch meal to stat the day”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

As the title states 'Great cafe for a brunch meal to stat the day...' had the all day breakfast and coffee. The cafe does most things well, except two things I find - first is the hash browns - not fully cooked through the middle and the noise level in the cafe. With most wooden floored cafe's/pubs the issue of the noise level and hard it can be to converse with people as the noise level just increases as you speak. So everyone just talks louder ad louder to be heard. So if something can be done about this the cafe experience will be much better.

• Visited July 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great atmosphere and always good food”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

One of the best places to eat in Upper Hutt. Great staff and food excellent. They are really good at altering the menu to accommodate dietary needs. Regular stop for us.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Steve D
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Great Friendly service with outstanding food”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My husband and I often eat a Saturday breakfast at Romeos. The staff are always friendly and keen to help and really dont mind if you want something slightly 'off menu'. Their baked goods are exceptionally good!

• Visited December 2011