“No champagne or bubbly”

Add it.
marmalade and soul
Cuisines: Australian
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Two of my girlfriends chose this restaurant for a lunch to celebrate their very significant birthdays...and we found after ordering that there was no more bubbly for us. We had drunk one bottle between the six of us in about one hour and that was it. There was no more. We were so shocked that one of my friends went to the counter to check that we had heard correctly. There were 6 people ready to have a second glass and not one bottle of sparkling wine of any description available to celebrate these 2 special birthdays. One of the birthday girls had even visited earlier to choose the table as she wanted it to be very special. She should have checked the wine fridge!!! Though the food tasted fresh and was quite interesting and the coffee was great...where was our bubbly? We were told that they had run out and they have only one listed on their wine list and it hadn't been delivered. Some girls chose a Sav Blanc for their second drink but had wanted sparkling for these special milstone birthdays. And this is a Licensed restaurant! It was very disappointing.

There are newer reviews for marmalade and soul

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I went here recently with 2 vegetarians for lunch and there was virtually nothing on the lunch menu they could eat. They had to resort to the breakfast menu. Coffee was good but not spectacular. Better options further up Queens Parade.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The ambiance of Marmalade and Soul is great, very hip and trendy and I was really excited to try this place as its just down from where I live. We went on a fairly busy Saturday afternoon around 12:30 PM. While the service was friendly, it was erratic. Took awhile for them to come back and get our order, and the food didn't take too long. I was disappointed in my selection. It was $17 and basically consisted of scrambled eggs in a watery/goat cheese sauce with one small piece of toast. It just wasn't very satisfying, and I felt it was way too complicated. Food doesn't need to be complicated to be good! My boyfriend enjoyed his meal and he had eggs and blood sausage. We also ordered two meringues to go which were quite tasty. I won't say I'll never go back, but I also won't be rushing there anytime soon.

1  Thank Jess P
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Like many locals, I mourned the closure of The Rec pub, but soon warmed to Marmalade and Soul which took over the site. M&S has kept a few of the pub's original fittings but the rest is new. It looks and feel good; light, open, welcoming and stylish. Kept the pub verandah for outdoor seating to add to the extensive indoor seating. The service is very good, and the waiters are fitted out very nicely in their blue stripes and linen aprons. The coffee is excellent! I have eaten here several times (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and everything I have had has been excellent, even some of the odder choices. However I would prefer them to add a few more staples to the menu to round it out. I will only order something like savoury scottish pudding from the breakfast menu once in a blue moon. The toast comes with violet crumble butter, again nice once but sometimes you just want butter and jam. Black pudding, hmmn...never for me. The dinner choices are more traditional and the steak I had there recently as superb. But again it would be nice to be able to order some vegetables of some sort with dinner but there was only cucumber or hummus as sides. Delicious and different, but without some staples added, this will only be a place to visit very occasionally rather than regularly. Oddly for a new place that you would expect to be wanting to build a patron base, 2 friends have both reported difficulties in trying to make a group booking. I do hope M&S is not trying to compete with the Moroccan Soup Bar for the most challenging inner northern place to make a booking!

1  Thank galtons
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Recently opened, this restaurant offers quality food and service with a homely, eccletic, country-styled decor. Being local, my husband and I have visited a number of times and we have found the dishes interesting, if sometimes a bit odd in terms of food combinations. Desserts are fabulous.