“Good tour & guides, difficult communication”

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We originally booked the biobay tour with VAC (looking forward to clear kayaks), but VAC cancelled last minute due to lack of glow in the bay (I guess it's seasonal).

We booked the Lumanita tour aware of the lack of glow already (although unlike other tour operators we contacted, they didn't mention the lack of glow). They were a bit difficult to communicate with in English and I felt odd as they didn't send an email confirmation, or take our credit card info for deposit, etc. Nestor also took a while to respond, but they showed up like they said they would, phew! :)

the tour was good. We enjoyed kayaking in the mangrove. Since the biobay wasn't glowing, I'm really glad we got to experience that. I felt like we got good bang for our buck with this tour (we paid $55/adult, $35 kids). The guides were good, however we were told the guide that speaks English well wasn't working today, so they tried to impart some knowledge about the mangroves, but it wasn't much (it was like "this is black. that is red.") but the guides clearly knew where they were going, so that was good :) The mangroves were also a bit difficult to navigate in the dark when we were coming back to the biobay, but not too bad.

Note, these guys are cash only. I assumed that they'd take credit card, so it took a while longer for them to drive us to an ATM and get cash.

4  Thank Sandra T

Reviewed January 1, 2014

It seems like they are guiding the tour together with some other company. They took us to the mangrove first, however, it was already kind of dark when we kayak there, I only saw one bird. As it was getting darker, they guided us to the biobay. One of our guide headed back to pick up other people and left the other guide together with us waiting in the water around an abandoned ship. By this time, we kayak around the area and enjoyed the biobay a lot. When the guide came back, they gave a speech about the biobay, and then we headed back. Me and my husband had a great time in there. I would have to agree with the previous review, the guides don't speak good English.

2  Thank Miao Y
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We were picked up by a kid in a pickup truck that did not know who Luminata was. Have they sold out to another company? He couldn't speak English well at all. And it was very difficult to communicate with him. I did hear all the other guides in the distance giving all kinds of information about the area. But our guide was only able to tell very little because of his language barrier. Pick another company.

3  Thank Janet R
Reviewed September 28, 2013

They are a small company compared to the others on the island, but their tour is better.

They were very nice, friendly and informative. Also our guide was hilarious.

The tour took us through mangrove canals before the sun was set. That was awesome. The channel is too narrow to go through with paddles so you have to pull on the branches and roots. Once the sun was setting they took us out into the bay. It was a really cool experience.

1  Thank Ben_Aring
Reviewed September 4, 2013

They were friendly, informative, and funny. They took us all over the biobay and taught us, with humor, about the creatures in the water and even the stars in the sky. Good price, good time!