“Fantastic Sunday lunch.”

The Black Bull Balsham
Ranked #1 of 2 Balsham B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My Partner, his Parents and I dined here on the way to visiting Ely Cathedral. It's a traditional pub in a beautiful village setting, with a thatched roof. We have the Sunday lunch I had My Partner had the seabass and I had the Guinea Fowl which was melt in the mouth. The service and staff where very good.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Loved this place. Located in a sleepy village, thatched and pretty. Staff were happy and very helpful. Food was really surprisingly excellent, we had lunch and evening meal. I know this inn has a reputation for their pies, which my husband loved but I'm a veggie and could not believe that I actually had a choice of food which is most unusual.
The room we had was very big and comfortable. We had a kitchen with coffee tea etc too
It is also only 15 mins away from The Hole In the Wall restaurant which was the reason for our visit to Cambridge
All in all, a very enjoyable weekend

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed one night on my way home from Cambridge. The room was spacious and comfortable, staff very friendly and helpful and food was delicious. The room had a kitchen attached which was full of supplies for a hot drink. The breakfast was wonderful....cooked to perfection. It is a very restful place to stay with a cosy village atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Had a great meal and a wonderful evening. Me and my friend both had a pie and we agreed that they were probably the best pies we had ever tasted. Service was excellent, the young barman (Jack) was a real nice young man and was very attentive and catered for our needs exceptionally.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed one night here and dined in the restaurant. The room was spacious with a fully fitted kitchen so you can self-cater. There was a slight stale smell in kitchen. The pub was good, the staff were courteous and helpful and the evening meal was very good. Highlight was the breakfast which was outstanding - I had salmon and scrambled egg. The village is a delightful place for a stroll. A very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our booking was for 2 adults and 2 children. The staff was friendly, but we found the service very slow (we had mains & puddings) - the pub was half-full when we arrived and full when we left (we were there an hour and a half). The mains (roast pork & sirloin) tasted fine. I really liked the vegetables- pureed swede & cauliflower cheese, but my partner thought there wasn't enough on the plate for the price (£13 & £15 per main) and our children didn't really make a dent in their plate (they normally eat everything in sight). I was very disappointed with the pudding. My sticky toffee pudding was dry (despite the lovely butterscotch sauce) and hard. I left it. It also came with ice-cream which was not stated on the menu, that would have been a bonus point, unfortunately I do not like ice-cream and had to scrape it off.
We ordered 2 scoops of vanilla ice-cream for the children and we were told "the ice-cream was a bit soft as it had been out of the freezer so much". It wasn't soft, it was more like a white sauce, spooning consistency. My son ate it, but my daughter left hers, as she found it too sweet and sickly.
We also did not like the fact the children were served after us and that I could not order a small glass of wine (125ml) as the pub is only licensed to serve 175ml or 250ml.
It was a very disappointing experience for us, especially as it was for Father's Day. For us it was overpriced for the food offered. It's a pity as the pub/restaurant is lovely and it could have been so much better...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
AlexClarke, Owner at The Black Bull Balsham, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for coming to visit us on Father's Day - delighted you liked much of what we were offering and appreciated our pub/restaurant that we have put so much effort into restoring to former glories. Thank you for your couple of suggestions for improvements: I am sorry about your sticky toffee pudding - it has been such a long term favourite for good reason. Fathers Day was not a great day for our freezer to go down - we tried to manage expectations on this one, but clearly not wholly successfully. Your request for a 125ml I am afraid caught the staff on the hop. It was a busy session and it was not managed well. Normally we would be happy to serve any measure a customer wants and would charge pro-rata - I am sorry that this did not happen this time. It is certainly not a case of licensing - more a case of an inexperienced member of staff not communicating the situation well enough to a manager or back to you. I am sorry that overall you felt it was disappointing. It seemed as though there were a lot of positives but certainly some points that we need to learn from - so thank you for your help in this regard. Please do come back for a more representative experience.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here last night, as we where visiting Cambridge to go punting, (used the park and ride, fab!) staff where very helpful and friendly, thank you, room was spacious and even accomadated an extra bed for our son, still with plenty of room to manouver. Good, very comfortable, king sized bed, quality furniture, very nicely decorated, lovely hot shower and bath. Ironing board and iron, hair dryer and free wifi in room. Gorgeous breakfast in morning, which is included in the price, full english ( not at all greasy, excellent poached eggs!) or several other choices, i had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with a toasted muffin, fab! Plenty of toast and tea/cofffee. Had dinner here also........ Absolutely stunning, impeccable food! Had leek and rosemary soup with basil oil for starter,gorgeous, hub had pork cheeks, he said was very tender and tasteful, main course we had sea bass with scallops....... OMG! Absolutley DIVINE, bass and scallops melted in your mouth, excellent! Only criticism was i opted for band cut chips instead of the listed tarragon potatoes, they where very dry( sorry chef) but tasted hubbys tarragon pots which where lovely! I cannot recommend the Black Bull highly enough, from the accomodation to the staff to the excellent food, thank you very much for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same, in a court yard, very nice!