“Amazing time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Yellow River

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quellomayo
Yellow River
Ranked #1 of 1 Quellomayo B&B and Inns
Gainesville, Florida
“Amazing time!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We had an absolutely amazing time at the Quellomayo farm! When trying to book, Andrew was so responsive and beyond helpful despite the fact that we changed our plans several times. Getting to the farm might seem a little tricky but just be sure to follow Andrew’s advice. We had a little bit of difficulty getting a cab in Santa Maria on Sunday, so I would recommend a different day if possible. Once we arrived, everyone was incredibly friendly.

Tatiana was so accommodating—she led us down to the river, woke up extra early to roast coffee and chocolate beans before we left, made unexpected meals for us, and more, always with a genuine smile (Sorry, Tatiana!). The grandfather was so warm and so interesting to chat with. Before we left for Aguas Calientes, he spent half an hour hand-drawing us a mind-blowingly detailed map (it was our favorite souvenir of our entire time in Peru).

The food was AMAZING, much better than any highly rated restaurant in Cusco and arguably one of the absolute best meals in our life (and Tatiana pulls it off like it’s nothing!) Come hungry so you can eat as much food as possible, you won’t regret it. We are all coffee aficionados and we’ve never had a better cappuccino, even in fine European coffee shops.
We especially loved the roasting (and drinking our own hot chocolate!) and cooking breakfast with Tatiana. We learned first-hand how coffee and chocolate (two staples in our diets) are made. If you like coffee or have any close friends who do, buy a few bags of coffee! Unfortunately there is no ATM in Santa Maria, Santa Teresa, or the Cusco bus terminal so bring cash.

The hike to Machu was phenomenal. PLEASE do it if you can. It’s a little adventurous but don’t be alarmed, the locals do it all the time. It’s economical and much more fun than the train we took from Aguas back to Cusco.

Please do remember that you are in the jungle– there are bugs and humidity so plan accordingly. The hotel bedrooms are adorable and clean – if you can, bring your own flip flops/shower shoes as muddy sneakers do not belong inside.

Before we decided to book, I googled the town of “Quellomayo” and found some unnerving results. As four unaccompanied young women, we departed Cusco fully accepting the possibility of coming across drug dealers on our hike through the jungle. Actually, the tiny town and hike is very safe and charming. If you are worried about any part of the trip, worry about the bugs (bring light long sleeved shirts and pants if you can, and be aware that the chemicals in bug spray and sunscreen, if worn simultaneously, can cancel each other out).

The ultimate reason we travelled to Peru was to do an academic cultural learning trip with a professor but we arrived a week early with our own itinerary to explore Peru a bit more. Although we had a professional guiding us for the rest of our time in Peru, the journey to the farm and the hike to Aguas were by far our absolute favorite part of our trip.
I am a neurotic planner, but when we left the US, the farm trip was the only thing on our itinerary that I was able to definitely confirm. Andrew was so helpful in planning exactly what we wanted to do. Both he and Tatiana speak perfect English and Spanish (and a bit of French too, I believe?).

Although we are all absurdly ambitious students, we unanimously agreed that we will never be as admirable as Tatiana. Thanks again, Tatiana and Andrew!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We had a fantastic night at Yellow river with Tatiana and her Family. We got taken on a tour of the coffee farm, saw the mango, avocado and banana plantations and had amazing fresh food. We wish we had the time to stay longer.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Lizziebspring
Centreville, Maryland
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Yellow River was by far the best part of our 7 weeks in Peru. Tati and her family are incredible and the farm is a true paradise. We stayed at Yellow River for three nights and four days, but wished we could have stayed longer. This was by far the most remote destination we stayed on our trip and without a doubt we felt the closest to home. Every meal was home cooked, amazing fresh food! Each night we sat around at dinner and talked for close to two hours, I think it could have been longer if only we new a bit of spanish, Tati is an excellent translator :) Olga and Angel were a true pleasure to get to know and their dog Tyson is such a sweet heart.

I would not hesitate to say that everyone should make Yellow River part of their Peru trip. Also, we took a taxi from here to Hydroelectrica and then hiked to Manchu Picchu and it was a very easy and beautiful hike! Along the train tracks and very few people along the way!

Thank you for such a wonderful and memorable part of our trip.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky N
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Our week-long stay at Yellow River was an amazing experience! It was our first time working as WWOOFers, and Tatiana, and her family made us feel very welcome. We picked coffee and avacados, worked around the house, and helped clear weeds around the crops.

The food we were served was delicious, and traditional. The accommodation was really comfortable, and the setting was absolutely spectacular.

Tatiana also gave us directions, and suggestions about the best way to get to Machu Picchu on a budget, which included walking, taking a mini van/taxi, and a great stay in Aguas calientes.

All in all an amazing stay, great farm, great food, great people, and we definitely plan on returning one day!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
sacramento
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Our stay at Yellow River was the highlight of our trip to Peru. The place is lovely, the food delicious and plentiful. Tatiana and her parents made us feel like part of their family and went above and beyond to show us around the farm and local area and help us get to Macchu Pichu. We changed our plans to come back by Yellow River after Macchu Pichu. Well worth it, especially with a stop at the hot springs at Santa Teresa on our way back. This place is definitely off the beaten path but worth the effort to get there..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tlgtlgtlg
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

No doubt about it, I had absolutely the best stay of my whole trip. It is a small paradise: the setting is amazing, the people are lovely and they have the best food going.

I stayed a few days witht his wonderful family and loved every minute of it. They are all incredibly friendly and welcoming. The only downside was that I couldn't stay longer.
They were so hepful and kind I can't thank them enough.

I walked to the lodge along the river from Santa Theresa and staying here put the icing on the cake for me. The place was a lush and gorgeous green, not into full rainy season yet. Theya ren't afraid to chat and I learned loads, I even got to help a bit up at the farm which was great.

The place is so happy and full of life with their daughter and several animals that there is never a dull moment.

I cannot reccomend this place highly enough to do it justice. You've got to experience it for yourself.

Room Tip: The coffee is unmissable!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank HeathMonkey
quellomayo, Owner at Yellow River, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Hi, a huge thanks for the review. I'm just so glad that you had such a good time. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you being here in the UK, but I know Tatiana and the family would be great. Having a French baker there at the time can't have been bad either! I can't wait to get back there myself and I wish you well for the future. Thanks for your email and I'm very sorry to hear you had trouble with your passport after your stay with us..... South America can be quite random, filled with the good and the bad of travelling.

Thanks once again

Andrew
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I met Andrew and his wife Tati about 3 months ago while staying at another homestay in Cusco and learned about their place Yellow River. I was so intrigued that the next time that I was in the area and going to Manchu Pichu I made sure that Yellow River was a part of my travel plans.

I spoke with Andrew via email and he helped plan our journey there from Cusco answering all of my questions. The ride there was in a 10 passenger van for 25 soles. If you can afford to do it by cab I would do that. Either way its an amazing ride. You go up one side of the mountain and it looks like winter. When you come down the other side you are in a lush tropical environment. If you ever have seen the tv show "Off the Map" this is what it reminded me of.

They are absolutely fabulous host and truly make you feel like you are at home - and the food and juices were delicious and fresh. Ask Tati to make her banana fritters (I make them at home now, but they are just not quite the same). Oh and they make a great Pisco Sour. The vegetation and view of the mountain and river around the property is absolutely breath taking!

Its a great opportunity to spend time with an amazing family and experience a part of the world that has barely been touched/destroyed by modern man. This is not a trip for those looking for luxury. It's more of about the beautiful environment, camping somewhat but with a solid roof over your head, a comfy bed, they're working on the hot water shower, but everything else is fully functional services. A word of advice DON'T do the walk back from the hot springs in Santa Theresa without Tati showing you the way first. And don't do that walk after 5pm. If you keep these things in mind you will have the most amazing time.

I truly enjoyed my time at Yellow River!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Getting2KnowTheWorld

Been to Yellow River? Share your experiences!