“Annoyed”

Ranked #17 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Beautifully restored and renovated 13th century coaching inn with six unique bedrooms and award-winning food and quality yet friendly service. Situated in the village of Welwyn, North Herts, opposite the Saxon church of St Mary's, it is 'village eating, drinking and sleeping' at its best! We only take restaurant reservations for parties of 8 and more (except special occasions like Christmas and New Year's Eve) - we'll always fit you in!
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I went to the Wellington with a group of 15 friends to celebrate a 70 birthday, the restaurant was OK the table was poor, let me explain ,, paper napkins the knife fork and spoon were all in metal bucket and had water marks on them and not set out, no table mats, for some reason all the chairs on our table had seen better days not all same and not comfy, the service was not the best just OK, the mushrooms starter were so hot inside it burnt my mouth, my partner and i had a bottle of red wine £24.00 abit stiff in price( my fault should of had a beer) had better out of a supermarket , the burger was so salty made me gag couldn't eat it i sent it back, the price of the menu is high i would expect to pay those prices in a top restaurant not in a village pub, we all paid our bill separately and they had the bloody cheek to try and put a 10% service charge on all separate bills,, so if you worked that out that approx a £40 tip, of course i refused. I wouldn't recommend the Wellington and i wont be going there again....

1  Thank Barry R

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Departmental Christmas lunch. Enormous roast potatoes with weren't cooked properly & I like my sprouts crunchy but these had barely seen the boiling water. Service ok, but for the party season, the place just didn't seem special anymore.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Colleagues and myself had christmas dinner here. The pub/restaurant is very pleasent and it has an open fire which is great in winter.
The menu was very good. As a starter I had the Belly Pork. It was excellent, both in presentation and flavour. It had a beautiful crisp crackling and wonderfully tender and juicy meat. Colleagues had soup with a very generous and tasty chunk of fresh bread.
For main I had turkey, which was good but not up to the standard of the pork...... if only they would offer the pork as a main...it would be a sure winner.
For dessert I had the panna cotta... which was beautifully smooth and creamy.
On the whole an excellent meal.
They also have rooms ... great to stay in if one has had a pleasent evening and had a drink and hence don't want to drive. The rooms are spacious, well designed and very comfortable.
A great place to have a good meal, and relax for the evening.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had our office Christmas dinner here last Friday 13th December and it was quite average. The most dissapointing part of the whole thing was the fact that 8 out of 9 of us had Chritsmas turkey dinner and the majority of our plates was taken up by 3 enormous dry potatoes. The sliced turkey, one parsnip, one chipolata and the bit of stuffing and sprouts were great but the massive potatoes were just an insult. Small nice crispy pototoes would have been great but they wouldn't have taken up enough plate space would they? Other than that it was a lovely evening - not as busy as it usually is so that was good for us. Service was quick and panna cotta was lovely.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

A feeling of warmth and comfort greets you when walking into the restaurant. Lots of browns and natural wood and warm lighting makes it quite cosy and inviting. It was a Sunday evening so there was a piano player and vocalist doing their thing, not too loudly, and it was quite lovely.

The specials board did grab my attention as it looked very promising. After getting our glass each of Viognier, and a jug of water we decided on our meal and we had both chosen from the specials board. For starters, my wife chose scallops with coconut, red thai sauce and grilled pineapple and I chose braised pigs cheek in tomato sauce with toasted bread. For mains, my wife chose Duck in a curry sauce with potatoes, butternut and chutney and I chose grilled chicken with sweet potato tagine and cauliflower and broccoli cous cous.

It all sounds pretty good right?

Firstly, apologies for the blurry duck picture. Secondly, all the presentation was first class and all of our plates looked great. Now to taste...

My pigs cheek starter was very good. The tomato sauce was chunky and rich, the pigs cheek was tender, juicy and meaty. My main course of chicken tagine was ok. I found the chicken very well cooked, still soft and moist. The tagine whilst being pretty good, was overly sweet, which if there was just a little on the plate would have been fine, but there was loads... I didn't finish the tagine as it was just too over powering in such a large portion. Also, what was going on with my cous cous. The cauliflower and broccoli was blitzed down into a fine crumb and retained all of its crunch and in doing so the light fluffy cous cous was lost. Very dissapointed in this little side dish as I love cous cous.

My wife's scallop starter sounded great... but what a waste of a scallop! The scallops had been coated in dessicated coconut before cooking. What a weird texture to add to scallop. The gorgeous yeilding texture and delicate flavour of the scallop was gone. All the other elements on the plate were lovely on their own.I think if the dessicated coconut was removed and maybe monk fish used instead of scallop, this starter would have been great. My wife's duck was well cooked, still soft and juicy, nicely pink in the middle and the chutney was fantastic. What a great combination! Sweet, sticky, fruity chutney with rare, juicy, gamey duck... yum! But the curry sauce? Too much spice, cumin I think and it wasn't cooked out. The curry sauce was overpowering and quite pungent and seeing as it covered the potatoes, these were hardly touched and went back to the kitchen along with a pile of sauce. Thank goodness the duck wasn't cooked in the sauce as this was demolished along with the chutney and butternut.

Having said all that, most of the food was well cooked and the chef was creative and trying to be innovative. Just maybe dial back on the number of elements on a plate and taste a little more during prep.

I did find it pricey for what we had though... £100 for a starter and a main each and 2 glasses each of wine. If the taste of the food matched the description, I wouldn't mention cost.

Overall service was reasonable too and yes, I probably would go back as the vibe was good and the wine list very good. Next time, I might try something off the menu and not the special's board though...