“Slow”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Horse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a lovely village pub with a great choice of beer. The bar area has comfortable seating and although quite small is not crushed. The main eating area is a conservatory that lacks the ambiance of the bar area. We have eaten here a few times but only once since the new upgrade. The food is generally good although one of our party found the fish dry. The main problem we had was the slow service both at the bar and with the food even though it was not busy. Some of the staff appeared to be either new or undertrained causing queues at the bar and slow service to the table. As far as the food goes the chef has watched too many tv food programmes. The presentation was too fussy adding little to the overall taste. This could be one reason for the slow service i.e the plating up time in the kitchen.

WhiteHorseWelwyn, General Manager at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear Hardcore53,

Thanks very much for your feedback from your dining experience. I'm really glad you enjoyed our line up of beers; we spend a lot of time sourcing the best beers from great national, international, local and craft breweries, so it pays off when we get recognition for this.
I'm really sorry that this visit wasn't up to our usual standard; it sounds to me as if you came to dine on Friday (22nd Nov), which was unfortunately a bad service for us. A combination of communication problems and many bookings arriving at the same time meant there was a backlog of orders, and subsequently this led to a longer than acceptable waiting time for food.

We're still getting used to higher trading levels since the refurbishment, and although no excuse, this had led to a few staffing and speed issues. This week we have taken on an additional member of Kitchen Staff to help us through busy services, and we have stepped up our staffing levels Front of House too to provide better front line service. We think its very important that food is presented well, and this was not the fault for the food arriving slowly.

I'd love to learn a bit more about your visit, and the opportunity to invite you back, please contact me on 01438 714 366 at a time convenient to you.

Again, thanks for your feedback, and your issues have been duly noted and addressed.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and I had heard that the pub had recently undergone a refurbishment so we thought we would go check it out. The new interior is lovely, not too much has changed it has just given it an uplift without losing its traditional pub feel. Friendly staff, homely atmosphere and most importantly tasty food.

Dear Alex B,

Thanks very much for your review of our new interior and food, its great to hear how many people are so happy with what we've done, its been quite overwhelming to hear such nice feedback.

I really hope you continue to frequent us, and I look forward to welcoming you personally on your next visit.

Thanks Again,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I booked a table on Saturday night at the White Horse for my husband's birthday. We were a group of 10 friends. I booked the table over a week in advance and paid a £5 per head deposit. 3 days before our dinner, the manager rang to say there had been a mix up with our booking and unfortunately there was not room for us in the restaurant! He told me he could seat us in the bar which in his opinion was even better than the restaurant! For the inconvenience, he offered us a free bottle of wine. I agreed this would be ok, as long as it would nice as we were out for dinner a special occasion.

On Saturday we turned up to a bar crammed full with people. We were shown to a table in the window. It was incredibly noisy. Two tables had been pushed together but as they didn't fit in the space available, one table had it overlap the other! Quickly, it became apparent that we were going to have to squeeze 10 adults into seating for only 9! The waitress didn't seem to agree that this was an issue. The wine the manager had offered in compensation had to be requested. We were offered either house white or red. When we asked for Rose as this is what we prefer, we were not we were not allowed that!?

Overall, the food was good - well presented and tasted yummy. However, where the tables overlapped it caused one friends plate to totter! I'm sure you'll agree - not ideal.

This is my second visit in the last couple of months and will unfortunately be my last. The table on my last visit was again in the bar at table with the toilets one side and an open door to a 30th birthday party on the other. We could barely hear the person next to me. When I go out to dinner with my friends it is to socialise with them. This means talking and listening to them. This can not be done at the White a Horse in my opinion.

2  Thank MrsCrofty72
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Went here for a work party barbeque. Looked impressive when we arrived with plenty of tables reserved for us outside and the meat cooking on the barbeque but when the food was served it was a huge disappointment.
The meat was average at best and served with a tiny vegetable kebab, bread, bread rolls and pasta .
No salad, no coleslaw, no other salads, no variety.
And for that we had paid £13.50 each!! (there was around 30 of us)
Not worth the money at all.

WhiteHorseWelwyn, General Manager at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Hi Sally,

Really sorry to hear of your experience with us for a staff BBQ. We usually receive great feedback regarding our BBQ catering, including our service and food quality. We haven't cooked any BBQ's for a couple of months now, so your review obviously refers to an event over the summer. Our BBQ menus are all priced on a pick and mix basis, meaning that each dish a customer chooses has a price per head attached to it. We pride ourselves on this method as it means customers get the BBQ they want, at the price point they are willing to spend. A BBQ can cost as little as £8.95 per head, up to £25 per head. The reason you didn't have any Coleslaw or Salad was because whoever organised the BBQ didn't select the dishes from the menu.

We have recently undergone an extensive refurbishment, and have hired a new head chef, and together our focus is concentrated at quality at a reasonable price in informal surroundings with great service. I'd really appreciate it if you would drop me an email to let me know which BBQ party you attended with over the Summer, and I'll definitely be taking your feedback on board for next yeras BBQ season.

I hope we can tempt you back, and thanks again for your comments :-)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We booked a BBQ for 52 people for a 30th Birthday party and every single person said the food was amazing. There was plenty to go round (after the Adam, The Landlord sat down with us with and suggested brilliant menu choices) and most people went up for seconds!
The whole afternoon/evening was organised brilliantly so we had plenty of room to ourselves.
They were very accomodating and allowed for balloons and banners to be put up in the dining room and on the reserved tables outside and we we able to play our own music on an ipod dock.
Many thanks for a great night.