“Excellent party venue”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Horse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked the BBQ menu on a Thursday evening for a party of 25 to celebrate my daughter's 18th birthday. It was a perfect evening. The garden/BBQ area was just right for the size of group and I don't think we would have found a better combination of food, atmosphere and warm welcome anywhere else. Many thanks!

2  Thank Jane A

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Lovely village pub in the heart of Welwyn which easy to get to from all directions - A1M motorway - Codicote and Welwyn garden City - Superb

Reviewed June 15, 2013

After much research I booked our first, much deserved night out without the kids - something intimate - or so I thought! Upon entering the dining room there was a family of 10 one side and us 2 in the corner facing the garden with the rest of the tables and chairs against the walls not to be used with some 60th birthday balloons and a boxed cake on one of the tables. Our dining experience started off nice and quiet and intimate with great food. While we were waiting for our main course to arrive staff started to bring out buffet food and place on the table with the balloons. As we were enjoying our main course we were suddenly invaded by everyone from the garden to enjoy the buffet! The guests proceeded to pull the tables and chairs out very close to us leaving not much breathing space!! , some were just standing around while others hovered around us and kept staring as we were eating, totally ruining the atmosphere and our dining experience and made us so uncomfortable we wanted to leave and did so. when we told a member of staff she simply replied "oh dear"!!! When I booked the table I wish I had been informed there was a party going on and been given the choice to keep my booking or not!! Went home with what started as a perfect evening to a cut short/rushed meal and feeling let down!! Not what I expected at all when it is advertised as a restaurant/dining room and Not a Village Hall for such buffet catered events!!

2  Thank Tracy M
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This food/pub is extremely convenient, just minutes off the A1(M) and yet providing real ale well kept and an extensive range of chef-provided food. This is not one of those monster chain establishments like Harvester but a proper restaurant/pub. I chatted to a young man at the bar who turned out to be the owner's son and the manager, just off to provide the catering for a wedding in Enfield, so you can appreciate the range of food they do. You have a choice of a few tables in the bar area, which we chose, or a proper restaurant area at the back. My posh burger came with decent fries, hot and well drained, as did my partner's scampi. Nothing was too much trouble, my father-in-law wanted a chicken sandwich with the soup of the day which was no problem. Our beer was cool and well kept, I suspect in proper cellars.

Next time if we are in less of a rush I will try the full meals available.

1  Thank Roger C
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Booked as a party of 4 for a Friday lunchtime. Quite quiet, but very light on staff. Overall, the service that we received was poor, with me having to go into the kitchen itself to find a member of staff at one point during the meal. Food was fine but nothing special.

WhiteHorseWelwyn, General Manager at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Hi IngleCottage,

Thanks very much for your review and bringing this to my attention. It doesn't seem like you received our usual high standards of both food AND service and I'm very sorry to hear that. We'd love the opportunity to change your mind about us, and I'd like to learn more about your experience with us, please contact me directly at The White Horse on 01438 714366 at your convenience.

Kind Regards,